Clinical/Counseling/School Psychology Programs that are NOT taking students in 2021

Hi all, I figured I should start a thread just in case anyone has any information now or in the coming weeks.

With some doctoral programs not taking a 2021 cohort, have any clinical/counseling/school psychology programs announced their refusal to take students? Does anyone have any insider knowledge? 

Canada

USask Clinical Psych is not accepting admissions for 2021-2022 (aka the upcoming application cycle). 

"Due to the disruptions caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, the clinical psychology program is not able to accept a new cohort of students for the 2021-2022 academic year. Thus, the program will not be accepting applications for the program in the fall of 2020.  We anticipate resuming our normal admissions process in the following year (i.e., accepting applications in the fall of 2021 for those wanting to begin the program in the fall of 2022)."

Source: https://artsandscience.usask.ca/psychology/programs/clinical-psychology.php#AdmissionsandApplications

18 minutes ago, psychapplicant21 said:

I noticed today that University of Washington only appears to have one faculty member among the Clinical faculty accepting students for Fall 2021 (which is a little concerning since this is a well-established program)

It's also pretty early - plans are likely still being solidified as faculty figure out funding and whatnot

34 minutes ago, justacigar said:

It's also pretty early - plans are likely still being solidified as faculty figure out funding and whatnot

For the other faculty members it says they are not accepting students for Fall 2021.. 

1 hour ago, psychapplicant21 said:

For the other faculty members it says they are not accepting students for Fall 2021.. 

Got it, then they must already have clear plans. I thought maybe they hadn't finished updating their site. What a bummer! 

1 hour ago, ColoradoGirl94 said:

90% of the programs I have looked at so far and actually inquired with the PI about whether they will be taking students have said that they will for fall 2021. At least to me so far it seems pretty promising that most schools will have professors taking students.

I have had a similar experience

I do wonder if clinical psych would be as impacted as other PhD programs. My understanding is that while the program/university will partially fund a student, the PI is the one who is responsible for ensuring additional funding through grants and such. Any other insights into that process? 

36 minutes ago, justacigar said:

I do wonder if clinical psych would be as impacted as other PhD programs. My understanding is that while the program/university will partially fund a student, the PI is the one who is responsible for ensuring additional funding through grants and such. Any other insights into that process? 

Right and idk about the States but in Canada, a lot of grant competitions have been delayed or outright cancelled. For that reason, a lot of faculty appear to be quite uncertain about their financial situations and whether they can take students. 

Just now, Mickey26 said:

Right and idk about the States but in Canada, a lot of grant competitions have been delayed or outright cancelled. For that reason, a lot of faculty appear to be quite uncertain about their financial situations and whether they can take students. 

I've heard a lot of funding got slashed in the USA. I tried to apply to a research coordinator position at a university, but a friend who went to that university said the funding stopped because of COVID. I'm having a lot of trouble finding research positions right now. It sucks. 

39 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Yeah.... all I know right now is that some sociology programs and one of Harvard's doctoral programs have said outright that they cannot take students this fall. I feel bad for the applicants who wanted to apply to those schools.

2 minutes ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

I've heard a lot of funding got slashed in the USA. I tried to apply to a research coordinator position at a university, but a friend who went to that university said the funding stopped because of COVID. I'm having a lot of trouble finding research positions right now. It sucks. 

Yes, it seems that most institutions/unis have halted any non-essential hiring. So new lab coordinators, RA positions are all on a hold right now ?  

1 minute ago, Mickey26 said:

Yes, it seems that most institutions/unis have halted any non-essential hiring. So new lab coordinators, RA positions are all on a hold right now ?  

It sucks beyond belief. I applied to so many lab jobs pre-covid and now they're either not hiring, or not funded. Ugh. 

3 hours ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

It sucks beyond belief. I applied to so many lab jobs pre-covid and now they're either not hiring, or not funded. Ugh. 

I'm not sure what your area of interest is, but it might help to look outside of university systems to find something? I work at a research center and a few teams are actually hiring more people. I think it's really dependent on what you'd like to study though. I was working on a telehealth study already which was sort of dumb luck, but you could look for studies that have gone remote or that were remote before all this craziness

40 minutes ago, justacigar said:

I'm not sure what your area of interest is, but it might help to look outside of university systems to find something? I work at a research center and a few teams are actually hiring more people. I think it's really dependent on what you'd like to study though. I was working on a telehealth study already which was sort of dumb luck, but you could look for studies that have gone remote or that were remote before all this craziness

Yeah, I'm looking everywhere! Universities, hospitals, etc. Hopefully something pops up soon. My interest is in neuropsychology.

Edited by PsychApplicant2

5 hours ago, justacigar said:

It depends on what the research culture of the school is (i.e. R1, R2, R3... is it a big school focused on research, or a small school focused on teaching). Big schools with high research focus/funding tend to fund graduate students through money coming in from the PI's research grants. Smaller teaching oriented schools tend to be based on departmental funding. 

9 hours ago, psychapplicant21 said:

I noticed today that University of Washington only appears to have one faculty member among the Clinical faculty accepting students for Fall 2021 (which is a little concerning since this is a well-established program)

If im not mistaken, they had only 1/2 faculty admitting clinical students last year too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

University of Montana has stated that they are not reviewing applications for their Clinical Psychology program due to COVID-19.

"At the present time, due to COVID-related staffing issues, the Clinical Psychology training program does not plan to review applications during the 2020-2021 admissions cycle. Any potential changes to the admissions cycle status will be posted to this site as soon as they are made. Please address any concerns or questions to the Dr. Duncan Campbell, Director of Clinical Training."

http://hs.umt.edu/psychology/clinical-psychology/default.php

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2020 at 2:17 PM, PsychApplicant2 said:

According to a prospective applicant who emailed admissions, Loyola University - Chicago is not accepting clinical students for 2021. 

I hope not!! There is a PI there whose research almost perfectly aligns with my interests :(

Edited by HopefulFuture666

15 minutes ago, HopefulFuture666 said:

I hope not!! There is a PI there whose research almost perfectly aligns with my interests :(

I believe it is true :( someone commented on the GRE waived document that they emailed them and they’re not taking students this cycle. But there’s no notice on their website yet so hopefully that’ll change.