2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

3 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Hello! And heck yeah, welcome to the thread.

16? That’s an amazing amount of applications, where’d you apply?

Hi! Here's the list:

Cornell

Syracuse

Cornell

Brown

Vanderbilt

Purdue

Virginia Tech

Iowa

Michigan

New Writers Project

Michener

U Eastern Washington

U Alaska Fairbanks

U Wyoming

UCSD

U Montana

U New Mexico

LOL

Just now, orangeslice said:

Hi! Here's the list:

Cornell

Syracuse

Cornell

Brown

Vanderbilt

Purdue

Virginia Tech

Iowa

Michigan

New Writers Project

Michener

U Eastern Washington

U Alaska Fairbanks

U Wyoming

UCSD

U Montana

U New Mexico

LOL

Although I did only apply to Cornell once even though I listed it twice!

50 minutes ago, yahearditherefirst said:

hey everyone, new to the forum! I applied to 11 programs. just wondering, when (generally) do people hear back? realize its different for every program

:wub:

From what I've seen perusing the past years' forums, acceptances go out late January and February mostly, with some taking until March. I think rejections typically take until March. Of course, this is my first year applying, so I'd love to hear from the members who have already gone through this!

On 12/18/2020 at 12:44 AM, yahearditherefirst said:

hey everyone, new to the forum! I applied to 11 programs. just wondering, when (generally) do people hear back? realize its different for every program

If you search your school/program in the "results" section of Grad Cafe (top left corner) you'll see reports of when others heard back with acceptances, rejections, and wait lists in years past. However, they do seem to vary from year to year and I'd imagine things will be a bit different this year with the different working conditions due to COVID. I'm planning on putting it out of my mind until late-February, when I can start stressing in earnest haha. 

3 hours ago, archiapelo said:

Your language can create a false sense of confidence and encourage inadvertence. The issue is poorly characterized as "are you a great fit?" Read blogs by former admissions officers. They see it more like this:

Good schools accept 1% to 3%. By necessity, they look for reasons to reject. It is just logistics.

It is not binary: one is a fit, one is not. It is more like: We have 5 to 25 seats, so lets rank everyone, knowing number 50 (who can't come) isn't much less of a "fit" than number one. (In fact, if their mood happened to have been different, number 50 could rank before 1.)

Cornell has like 6 fiction seats and 6 poetry seats, if I recall. They don't have a big staff to pick the 6. Small things matter. Inconvenience for the staff matters because they don't have manpower. It is not like applying to Harvard undergrad with an incoming class of 2,000. I wouldn't encourage anyone to blow off the small stuff upon the grounds that any principled school knows better. .  

Yes, because what I definitely did was "encourage" someone to blow off the small stuff. I suggested making contact, and offered that they should be understanding, which they will be if the writing is really top-notch stuff. You're assuming all applicants are on the same level writing-wise. Perhaps FairleyAlfy is above and beyond.

45 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

Yes, because what I definitely did was "encourage" someone to blow off the small stuff. I suggested making contact, and offered that they should be understanding, which they will be if the writing is really top-notch stuff. You're assuming all applicants are on the same level writing-wise. Perhaps FairleyAlfy is above and beyond.

I contacted Cornell Admissions, and they got back to me pretty quickly. She was super nice, and said not to worry about the formatting. All she cares about is the quality of the writing and if I submitted all the required documents. You were right! Thank you for your help!

19 minutes ago, FairleyAlfy said:

I contacted Cornell Admissions, and they got back to me pretty quickly. She was super nice, and said not to worry about the formatting. All she cares about is the quality of the writing and if I submitted all the required documents. You were right! Thank you for your help!

Glad to hear, good luck! Cornell seems like such a cool school.

Just now, Ydrl said:

I have a feeling we have another M*rshall Goodman on our hands... @mrvisser @FairleyAlfy

I was thinking the same thing...I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same guy who made a different account. ?

54 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

Glad to hear, good luck! Cornell seems like such a cool school.

Agreed! I know it's a very low acceptance rate, but if I don't at least try, I will always wonder. Plus I was able to get a application fee waiver which was a relief. 

48 minutes ago, FairleyAlfy said:

I was thinking the same thing...I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same guy who made a different account. ?

There is definitely a similar voice there.

49 minutes ago, FairleyAlfy said:

There is definitely a similar voice there.

1 hour ago, FairleyAlfy said:

Yeah, the voice is definitely similar.

Also, I hope I didn't post like ten messages. The site kept making errors on me.

Finished my last app yesterday! I wish I could say it feels great to be done. But now I don't know what to do with myself. I'm starting a new piece this morning, so that should help. Also trying to throw myself into my reading list. Just finished Garth Greenwell's Cleanness and now reading Piranesi by Susanna Clarke--two books that couldn't be more different. What is everyone else reading/doing to distract themselves from the anxiety?

Finished my last app yesterday! I wish I could say it feels great to be done. But now I don't know what to do with myself. I'm starting a new piece this morning, so that should help. Also trying to throw myself into my reading list. Just finished Garth Greenwell's Cleanness and now reading Piranesi by Susanna Clarke--two books that couldn't be more different. What is everyone else reading/doing to distract themselves from the anxiety?