2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

21 minutes ago, FairleyAlfy said:

I just read it! Beautiful poem, I'm going to have to get one of her books now. I just read Louise Gluck's The Wild Iris. I'm obsessed with her work now. Highly recommend the read! She's also great with imagery. 

I didn't notice a theme until my professor pointed it out. I'm from Mississippi and born into a super religious (sometimes cultish) family. I haven't been able to write about my upbringing until I moved to California, and what came out was southern gothic haha. 

I would be curious to hear where everyone is from if you guys don't mind sharing. 

Exchanging our favorite poems is the exact thing I didn’t know I needed until now!

And I feel you on the family bit...I’m so glad I moved out. There’s a world of difference in working on applications without my mother criticizing every decision I make, especially when it comes to church (I’m not a Christian anymore). It also really speaks volumes that I haven’t had any flashbacks despite the triggers still being there.

And I’m from Pennsylvania.

From the Portland area originally; moved to Seattle six years ago to attend the University of Washington. I've been lucky to grow up in what is in my opinion the most beautiful part of the contiguous 48, and it has been a heavy influence on my writing. Seems like we have a lot of poetry folks in this forum, but I'm going for fiction.

1 hour ago, mrvisser said:

From the Portland area originally; moved to Seattle six years ago to attend the University of Washington. I've been lucky to grow up in what is in my opinion the most beautiful part of the contiguous 48, and it has been a heavy influence on my writing. Seems like we have a lot of poetry folks in this forum, but I'm going for fiction.

Just you wait, the fiction people will flood into the thread soon. There’s way more fiction people in general. And I love Portland, so much. Oregon is super pretty, while my hometown is pretty too, Oregon captured my heart.

Hello, all! I'm from Michigan but living in Georgia while finishing up my BA. I'll be applying next year but I discovered this forum and I've been reading through past threads like crazy the last few days.

Does anyone have anymore poetry recommendations? 

2 hours ago, taylorjunebug said:

Hello, all! I'm from Michigan but living in Georgia while finishing up my BA. I'll be applying next year but I discovered this forum and I've been reading through past threads like crazy the last few days.

Welcome! Thanks for joining our thread!

What kind of poetry do you typically like? I’ll give you a few names to look up, and if you find that you really like one of them I could recommend some more like that. I’m still exploring the world of poetry myself, but one of my goals is to bring knowledge to others (whatever that means for me in the future):

Edward Hirsch

Luljeta Lleshanaku

Federico García Lorca

Rosanna Warren

Kaveh Akbar

If none of them really speak to you, that’s okay too. There’s a lot of excellent poets out there, and you’ll find some that never fail to enrapture you (Warren and Lorca for me). The Poetry Foundation’s website is super helpful for looking things up and learning about new poets, poems, and poetic techniques.

3 hours ago, taylorjunebug said:

Although I'm in prose, not fiction, I'd like to plug Theodore Roethke's work. I don't read a lot of poetry, but I'll occasionally go look through his catalog, as well as that of Dorothy Parker.

12 hours ago, marshall goodman said:

I think 24 is too young to get an MFA. The MFA can't do harm. The problem is they won't let you take one again later. You get one shot per life. You gain more out of the MFA if you are already more advanced.

I nearly died in April, I’m very aware of my “one shot per life”.

7 hours ago, mrvisser said:

I don't read a lot of poetry, but I'll occasionally go look through his catalog, as well as that of Dorothy Parker.

I didn't realize that Dorothy Parker wrote poetry. I just went and read a few and they were just as sharp and funny as her prose.

11 hours ago, taylorjunebug said:

Hello, all! I'm from Michigan but living in Georgia while finishing up my BA.

Welcome! 

7 hours ago, marshall goodman said:

Well, if "nearly died" means that now Ydrl's life expectancy is until age 30, then it is entirely rational for Ydrl to spend her one shot per life now, and get an MFA that would benefit her more if she waited.

If on the other hand, Ydrl's life expectancy if 50 or more, then Ydrl's decision to blow her shot now is irrational. 

There are expensive ways to get a second MFA. Ydrl could change genres and apply for fiction 10 years later. Presumably, she won't be able to produce as good work in another genre, but she could go to one of the less selective programs, maybe a program that is less selective because it costs a fortune. I've seen some programs that say you can't take most classes outside the genre you were admitted in, and I've seen programs that let you take any class you want. 

I've never seen someone who needs attention so badly.

2 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

I've never seen someone who needs attention so badly.

I’ve seen some desperate people, including an ex-friend who faked having cancer for attention. This guy’s freaking me out. He implied that he’s over 30 while he attacks me (24) for giving advice to other people. His response to me saying that I almost died in April is to tell me that if I die before 30 years old then that’s the only reason I should go for an MFA now.

23 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

Just read through last year's thread; what a bundle of joy that was. It was kind of cool to feel vicariously the stress (and occasionally, success) of those applicants.

Reading through that thread was a dose of reality for me. This is my first time applying and chances are I'll have rejections across the board. But I'm fully prepared to give it another go next year.

1 hour ago, mrvisser said:

Just read through last year's thread; what a bundle of joy that was. It was kind of cool to feel vicariously the stress (and occasionally, success) of those applicants.

Oh dear, did you see every time I drowned in my own anxiety last year? I’m still low-key embarrassed about that...

38 minutes ago, pattycat said:

Reading through that thread was a dose of reality for me. This is my first time applying and chances are I'll have rejections across the board. But I'm fully prepared to give it another go next year.

What matters is that you can keep going if you fall short of what you wanted. It took me a couple months after my final rejection to realize that this is what I want the most.

...I’m glad he’s gone.

After I remembered April again I felt horrible, then he started saying stuff about death being around the corner. I lost my ability to function for awhile. I’m not gonna give details about the flashbacks, but just know that I was sure I would be murdered if I resisted.

Please, please, let’s keep things peaceful and be good to each other...

Edited by Ydrl

On 12/7/2020 at 12:43 PM, largeheartedboy said:

Applied to NYU, Columbia, The New School, Hunter, and CCNY for their nonfiction tracks. Just finished the applications, waiting on recommendation letters. Fingers crossed.

CCNY just sent me confirmation that I am accepted for Fall 2021. Hooray!

34 minutes ago, TroyMcClure said:

Slightly late to the party, but I'm 28 and in CA. Applying for fiction.

I was wondering when you were going to say hi! Welcome to the thread!

29 minutes ago, TroyMcClure said:

I'm applying to Hunter, Brooklyn, Columbia, Boston U, Emerson, U of Maryland, U of Florida, and NC State.

How’s application season going so far?