2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

Hey, @spacedumpster! Welcome to the thread! Looks like you've got solid list of schools, with some variety in terms of competitiveness. I think that's a good strategy. Good idea to apply early, too! Every school has a different procedure for reading applications (which none of us are privy to), but it never hurts -- and sometimes it helps a lot.

Wow...Looks like I missed a lot while I was gone. 

I'm worried about deadlines. I've fallen behind in my battle with COVID. I've had a bad case, and I'm still not completely well. Just trying to pull myself together so I can get these applications in before the deadline. 

SOP has been my biggest struggle. Every program seems to list different things to talk about, and I can't fit them all in two pages...help! I've read a bunch of sample SOP's, and I seem to be falling in a state of overthinking. 

I hope everyone is well! 

54 minutes ago, FairleyAlfy said:

I'm worried about deadlines. I've fallen behind in my battle with COVID. I've had a bad case, and I'm still not completely well. Just trying to pull myself together so I can get these applications in before the deadline. 

SOP has been my biggest struggle. Every program seems to list different things to talk about, and I can't fit them all in two pages...help! I've read a bunch of sample SOP's, and I seem to be falling in a state of overthinking. 

I hope everyone is well! 

You having the power to apply to schools while having the virus is awesome. You’re so strong, and I’m rooting for your success.

I’m worried about deadlines too, one of my recommenders hasn’t submitted his letter of recommendation and it’s due Dec. 1st (as far as I’m aware). Also, while I have my writing sample, I don’t know what order to put everything in.

I don’t think I’m doing great at my SOPs either. I wish I could help but mine probably suck.

I hope you get better soon.

Edited by Ydrl

3 hours ago, FairleyAlfy said:

I hope everyone is well! 

I'm just repeating what I've heard from a handful of people who were accepted to different grad programs-- don't agonize too much over your SOP.

Your work sample should speak for itself, and the SOP is more or less just a litmus test to make sure you're not insane, incompetent, or a blowhard. Be true to yourself, your strengths, and your challenges. 

I hope you find the right place for you!

2 hours ago, marshall goodman said:

You sound new, so I should correct your misconceptions. Applying early won't help you get in. Also, there is nothing inconsistent with 10 rejections and being G-d's gift to literature. Rodin - the artist who sculpted The Thinker - was rejected to art school three times. It doesn't mean he is a bad artist. 

Admittedly, you told me, but you cite no evidence. 

No one from Iowa said I was a good fit for them. Schools never say that when rejecting you. 

So, even though only the second half is directed at me, I can’t ignore your bizarre response in the first half. It’s true, some people get rejected / ignored a number of times and become wildly popular on their own. However, that’s a small number of people compared to those who just aren’t good enough to deserve the spotlight.

You could have distanced yourself from the comment about being “God’s gift to literature” but you didn’t. You said there’s nothing that your rejections prove. The height of your hubris is both hilarious and unsettling. The vibes I’m getting from you are the same ones I get when Incels talk about women.

The inconsistency of your comments were called out too, but you didn’t defend yourself in any meaningful way...yikes.

If no one from Iowa told you that you were a good fit for them, then you don’t have concrete proof that you’re a good fit. Only Iowa can determine you’re a good fit. Again, you aren’t an all-knowing deity.

Even if I wanted to see your work, I probably wouldn’t find it, or you, to be worlds better than the rest of the fiction applicants. You aren’t sent by God to give us your writing.

As for the “no evidence” thing, there isn’t any evidence that you aren’t making mistakes with your writing sample. All I see are denials and a vacuum in you where your dignity and basic human decency should be.

Edited by Ydrl

5 hours ago, FairleyAlfy said:

I hope everyone is well! 

I can PM you my SOP from last year if you want an example. But I agree with spacedumpster -- the SOP is just showing that you can play nice with others, and that you've read some books outside of what you were assigned in your gen ed courses.

4 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

@YdrlDude, in the nicest way possible, all you're doing is indulging him. Clearly he thinks GC is the place to debate people and show off his """massive intellect.""" If people stop debating him, he'll stop ruining the thread.

Good poInt, this isn’t going anywhere but south. I’m just gonna pretend he doesn’t exist.

17 hours ago, Ydrl said:

You having the power to apply to schools while having the virus is awesome. You’re so strong, and I’m rooting for your success.

I’m worried about deadlines too, one of my recommenders hasn’t submitted his letter of recommendation and it’s due Dec. 1st (as far as I’m aware). Also, while I have my writing sample, I don’t know what order to put everything in.

I don’t think I’m doing great at my SOPs either. I wish I could help but mine probably suck.

I hope you get better soon.

Thank you! It's definitely not easy to write with the constant fatigue, but I still want to apply and not put it off another year even if I don't get in this time around. This is my first time applying so I feel like I'm moving in the dark, but even if I don't get accepted, at least I gave it a shot. 

I'm meeting with a my former poetry professor tomorrow who said my SOP definitely needs work, but he's impressed with my writing sample so that makes me feel much better about my application. I'll let you know what advice he gives me on my SOP. He's the director of a low residency MFA program because of this, he reads hundreds of SOPs every year. 

Lots of colleges are lenient when it comes to reference letter timing because that's sometimes out of your control. As long as you submit your application, they will probably overlook your reference missing the deadline of submitting your letter. Maybe shoot them an email and let them know what's going on. Every program is different though so can't say for sure they will be understanding about it. I wish you luck! Your reference still has several days to submit before Dec. 1st though so I wouldn't panic yet. 

14 hours ago, spacedumpster said:

I'm just repeating what I've heard from a handful of people who were accepted to different grad programs-- don't agonize too much over your SOP.

Your work sample should speak for itself, and the SOP is more or less just a litmus test to make sure you're not insane, incompetent, or a blowhard. Be true to yourself, your strengths, and your challenges. 

I hope you find the right place for you!

Thank you! I'm worried that it sounds a bit boring, but I'm trying to sound like a sane person. haha My professor has offered to zoom meet with me and talk about revealing more of myself in my statement without going overboard. He did say that I sounded "stiff and uncomfortable" compared to my writing which is accurate. 

12 hours ago, feralgrad said:

@YdrlDude, in the nicest way possible, all you're doing is indulging him. Clearly he thinks GC is the place to debate people and show off his """massive intellect.""" If people stop debating him, he'll stop ruining the thread.

Agreed. I've dealt with people like him in many writing workshops. The best thing one can do is ignore them. 

12 hours ago, feralgrad said:

I can PM you my SOP from last year if you want an example. But I agree with spacedumpster -- the SOP is just showing that you can play nice with others, and that you've read some books outside of what you were assigned in your gen ed courses.

If you wouldn't mind, I would love to see it. Thank you for your help and advice! It has helped relieve some anxieties. 

@Ydrl Best of luck with UM! I've decided to drop it from my list and focus on another program that might be a better fit for me. Part of my internship was helping to organize Douglas Kearney's Bagley Wright Lecture event with Cave Canem--I highly suggest checking it out (it was recorded! I think you can find the link on FB.) Not only is the lecture amazing, but it might give you a feel for if you'd like to work with him. You might even mention it in your UM SOP if there was something you found genuinely moving or interesting. Anyway, that's just my two cents! 

Edited by teasel

12 hours ago, teasel said:

@Ydrl Best of luck with UM! I've decided to drop it from my list and focus on another program that might be a better fit for me. Part of my internship was helping to organize Douglas Kearney's Bagley Wright Lecture event with Cave Canem--I highly suggest checking it out (it was recorded! I think you can find the link on FB.) Not only is the lecture amazing, but it might give you a feel for if you'd like to work with him. You might even mention it in your UM SOP if there was something you found genuinely moving or interesting. Anyway, that's just my two cents! 

Thank you, I really really like Minnesota. It surprised me when the criteria got changed to the CIC eligible students only.

“The Creative Inclusive Cohorts Training Program seeks to recruit academically excellent students with diverse ethnic, racial, economic, and educational backgrounds and experiences.”

I‘m happy I fit within those guidelines as a Blasian, but I feel bad for the better writers who would have made it if the virus wasn’t around . That’s the ultimate imposter syndrome right there.

And thanks for the tip about the lecture! While I’m more excited about the prospect of working with Kathryn Nuernberger, I’ll still check it out.

Hi all,

I've gotten a couple reports on this thread and handed out a temporary silence or two. I would, however, generally encourage you all to stop feeding trolls that you have already recognized to be trolls. 

-T

Hi y'all! Hope you're all well and sane-adjacent.

Idk if any of you remember, but I lurked here a lot last year. Everyone was super nice and helpful and this community really helped me get through an incredibly stressful application period. Thanks ❤️

I'm in the Nonfiction Writing Program at Iowa now, and would love to help others and pay it forward??  I thought I could answer questions about the program, and possibly look over materials if anyone wants :) More specifically, I'm also trans and an international student, so if any of you need help in those areas hmu.

I don't check here often so feel free to just email me! 

erel-michaelis@uiowa.edu 

Anyway, cheers, hang in there, mask up, god bless you mods!!

So, uh, I'm really hoping that I'm not in the hospital, without a laptop, when applications are due...

I don't have the virus for anyone wondering, but I'm frustrated and scared. Couldn't my problems be nice enough and wait until January?

Feeling the pressure of being sick and applying to grad school makes me want to puke. 

Anyone want to share how they're coping?

On 11/24/2020 at 2:27 PM, Ydrl said:

So, uh, I'm really hoping that I'm not in the hospital, without a laptop, when applications are due...

I don't have the virus for anyone wondering, but I'm frustrated and scared. Couldn't my problems be nice enough and wait until January?

Feeling the pressure of being sick and applying to grad school makes me want to puke. 

Anyone want to share how they're coping?

First, I'm feeling the exact same way. Still recovering from COVID so I think that's making it harder to focus on applications. Set out a list for yourself (a doable list), and do not allow yourself to go to bed before completing that list. It could be editing your SOP or editing a couple of poems for that day. I find that having a set daily list and not focusing on everything at once is super helpful.

My former professors have been valuable as well. One of them is an MFA low-residency director so he knows exactly what I need for my application. That has taken away some of the anxiety for me. Do you have any former professors who can look at your writing sample and SOP? It might help to have a new set of eyes. I'd would be happy to look at SOP's or writing sample. 

Also, make sure to take breaks. I will usually do yoga, watch a stand-up comedy show, drink a cup of tea outside, or cuddle my pets. Take deep breaths and find someone to rant too. You've got this! It will be over soon, and we will all wait for responses together. haha

I hope you feel better soon! Take vitamin C, drink plenty of liquids, and get plenty of rest.

On 11/14/2020 at 7:06 PM, baklava ethos said:

Hey everyone. Quick question...does Washington University require teaching for grad students? thanks in advance.

Washington University in St. Louis right? There’s not teaching required the first year and then it’s 1:1, I believe. (Maybe 1:2??)

source: I got in WashU last year. 

1 hour ago, hollowfirefly said:

Hi, new to this thread but-

Does anyone know if you have to put your name on the Michener writing sample? or... any of these writing samples. They don't say to and I feel that if I do I'm compromising the application...

Nevermind. Answered my own question. :P

1 hour ago, hollowfirefly said:

Hi, new to this thread but-

Does anyone know if you have to put your name on the Michener writing sample? or... any of these writing samples. They don't say to and I feel that if I do I'm compromising the application...

Welcome to the thread! Say, are you fiction, nonfiction, or poetry?

Oh, one school, Michener specifically, they want your name, primary and secondary fields, on the header of the Statement of Purpose. It doesn’t say to put that anywhere else though. I’m confused, but also hoping that I didn’t mess it up.

26 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Welcome to the thread! Say, are you fiction, nonfiction, or poetry?

Oh, one school, Michener specifically, they want your name, primary and secondary fields, on the header of the Statement of Purpose. It doesn’t say to put that anywhere else though. I’m confused, but also hoping that I didn’t mess it up.

Yeah! I put it on the SOP. I read on a blog of someone who applied and was accepted that she didn’t put her name on any samples where the school didn’t explicitly state they wanted it. She believes in blind readings and figured it was better not to put the name on if the school doesn’t state they want it. So hopefully we did that right! I’m sure it’ll be ok.