2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

Going for the Hail Mary. Found a program still accepting applications that had been on my original list. I didn't apply before because I didn't want to live (shiver) in the cold. Reworked my submission and SOP. It screams last minute but HEY...you never know. Crossing my fingers someone out there doesn't like heat and mosquitoes. Or gumbo. I just don't know about a southern girl writing up north. If you happen to know of any programs that are still accepting applications, please let me know. 

9 hours ago, turtlesfordays said:

I emailed Irvine. I was told that if you haven’t been waitlisted or accepted at this point you’ve been rejected. Not a surprise, but in an embarrassing twist, I was emailing Iowa at the same time and ended up accidentally telling Irvine I thought my letter had been lost in the mail. Irvine was like “what is ‘mail’?”

LMAO at this point I figured but it still kinda hurts. Wish they could just send out rejections...I mean it can't be that hard to do...like it'd be nice to at least be worth being told NO. Sigh. I guess thats to be expected of a fully-funded program in California. 

Edited by corgeel14

On 3/22/2021 at 4:17 PM, iai said:

At this point, I’m starting to lose hope in my remaining US applications and leaning towards accepting an UK one ?

Which U.K programs did you apply to? I applied to Oxford (like a crazy person), and not too shockingly was denied. I was planning to apply to Edinburgh w/ their late march or even June deadlines but then some east coast schools came through, and since the biggest thing keeping me from them is $$$$ it doesn't seem to make sense just adding more schools I cannot afford to the equation lol *cries softly* . Still, since I'm (apparently a glutton for punishment) considering doing this all again next year, I might take another look at U.K programs at that time. 

1 hour ago, corgeel14 said:

Which U.K programs did you apply to? I applied to Oxford (like a crazy person), and not too shockingly was denied. I was planning to apply to Edinburgh w/ their late march or even June deadlines but then some east coast schools came through, and since the biggest thing keeping me from them is $$$$ it doesn't seem to make sense just adding more schools I cannot afford to the equation lol *cries softly* . Still, since I'm (apparently a glutton for punishment) considering doing this all again next year, I might take another look at U.K programs at that time. 

I applied to Lancaster, Edinburgh, and Glasgow! Got offers from these three but rejected from UEA (said I had “promise” and to try again next year :( ) I believe those are still open for applications (?) I also worry about the UK schools funding wise so I’m holding hope for the remaining US ones but if not, I think I’ll end up going to the UK.

2 hours ago, Cristie said:

Going for the Hail Mary. Found a program still accepting applications that had been on my original list. I didn't apply before because I didn't want to live (shiver) in the cold. Reworked my submission and SOP. It screams last minute but HEY...you never know. Crossing my fingers someone out there doesn't like heat and mosquitoes. Or gumbo. I just don't know about a southern girl writing up north. If you happen to know of any programs that are still accepting applications, please let me know. 

If you’re looking for any program including MA not just MFA, I’d suggest the UK schools I listed above! ^ There are many others you can look into too. A lot of them have numerous “rounds” deadlines.

Edited by iai

14 hours ago, SMSM1229 said:

Oh yeah I saw that, it might be for poetry or CNF though. I just asked in draft if anyone for fiction was waitlisted or rejected, I'll let you know what people say! I know that someone in draft mentioned that they were waitlisted there for CNF

My bad — my computer is being fixed and I’m living off my phone. It was me and it was for CNF! 

Interesting on Draft to see quite a few people complaining about being on waitlists---all the while holding onto ALL of their own multiple acceptances. And they wonder why things aint moving. 

Like, if you want some movement, be the change you hope to see, yall.

Not directed at anyone in particular, just a gripe. 

Isn't that just part of the human condition, especially in a first-world country?

So many people waiting on the outskirts for someone to be first so they don't lose what they have, and yet, so few do decide to take that first step, so everyone is left waiting until the absolute last minute.

And hey, I'm not even trying to disparage those who do that.  I'd probably want to keep all my cards in play too.  The insidious nature of what it takes to progress or "move up in life" takes a toll on one's humanity eventually, if one lets it.

I reckon this is why it's crucial to really know oneself and what one wants at this stage in the game.  It makes the ability to choose between programs one's been accepted so much clearer, clearing the way for others.

And still, it's dawgy-dawg.

While I'm just sitting here waiting for my last 2 rejections, anyone have any recommendations for online peer reviewing that are actually good? I've found (no offense to anyone) that doing random things online tends to result in me giving literal bags of advice, positive/negative feedback, and the works, and then me getting a "good job!" back in response. 

13 hours ago, iai said:

If you’re looking for any program including MA not just MFA, I’d suggest the UK schools I listed above! ^ There are many others you can look into too. A lot of them have numerous “rounds” deadlines.

That's a great suggestion but one I can't consider. I have to stay in the US (family), prefer the south but clearly am going to have to reevaluate my roots and look past the Mason Dixon Line. I've never even ridden on a subway (Jesus) horses but....I'm literally terrified of moving up north...and this is just fear of the unknown I'll readily admit to. Its not fear of the people or places but how to function successfully in/with them. I have to think about things like a place to live, traffic, food, no friends, and PACE. I live in Arkansas and it's green and sweet and warm (mostly) and slow. The pace of life here is different than big cities. Then there is the whole...I'm not sure my writing style would jive. Imagine the hick in your class at some big fancy school...that would be me. Female honors student that says y'all and drives a truck (just trying to give you a visual). So awkward. Granted, one hell of an opportunity for writing inspiration but still...sooo very awkward. Me at a place like Boston or New York...that's like a good bar joke. Maybe I can find a smaller program somewhere up there (next round) and not dive head first into the deep end. Open to suggestions. I didn't try Alabama or Texas this time so there's still those to think about and I've been told I'd fit in at Idaho. I'm constantly researching programs and towns but this all feels like one big crapshoot.

7 minutes ago, koechophe said:

While I'm just sitting here waiting for my last 2 rejections, anyone have any recommendations for online peer reviewing that are actually good? I've found (no offense to anyone) that doing random things online tends to result in me giving literal bags of advice, positive/negative feedback, and the works, and then me getting a "good job!" back in response. 

I would say workshops or writing groups? You might have to do some digging for those though. Either that or find writers through the “literary sphere” of Twitter and see who you’d like the swap work with etc. So far it’s worked for me! 

10 minutes ago, koechophe said:

Where are you waiting to hear from if you don’t mind me asking

3 minutes ago, koechophe said:

Let me know what you find. I went into this thinking I was a decent writer...apparently not-but I'm also a big rule breaker. I've only done workshops in school but I have been published more than once. Still, No REAL feedback on my writing (apart from instructors/peers). I have found that people promise to read and review but never seem to have the time. Then I want to throat punch the ones who give you the "good job" business. If you ever want a random reader to give you an honest opinion I will--you do mine and I'll do yours. Let me know and I'll give you my email address. I have nothing to do while I too sit here and wait for TWO more rejections also. I feel like I'm on pause. Could we not start a new thread on here, post our work and all share/comment...help each other along? Yo, feralgrad...I just feel that you know this answer.

7 minutes ago, Cristie said:

That's a great suggestion but one I can't consider. I have to stay in the US (family), prefer the south but clearly am going to have to reevaluate my roots and look past the Mason Dixon Line. I've never even ridden on a subway (Jesus) horses but....I'm literally terrified of moving up north...and this is just fear of the unknown I'll readily admit to. Its not fear of the people or places but how to function successfully in/with them. I have to think about things like a place to live, traffic, food, no friends, and PACE. I live in Arkansas and it's green and sweet and warm (mostly) and slow. The pace of life here is different than big cities. Then there is the whole...I'm not sure my writing style would jive. Imagine the hick in your class at some big fancy school...that would be me. Female honors student that says y'all and drives a truck (just trying to give you a visual). So awkward. Granted, one hell of an opportunity for writing inspiration but still...sooo very awkward. Me at a place like Boston or New York...that's like a good bar joke. Maybe I can find a smaller program somewhere up there (next round) and not dive head first into the deep end. Open to suggestions. I didn't try Alabama or Texas this time so there's still those to think about and I've been told I'd fit in at Idaho. I'm constantly researching programs and towns but this all feels like one big crapshoot.

I was also thinking about just applying to Canadian schools because my family and partner are both here, but I realized that my writing might not grow as much if I don’t experience new things and get out of my comfort zone to be completely honest. I think the more I’m sheltered, the more I’ll slack in terms of writing so I considered when applying. I completely get your worries though! But not exactly in living in a big city worry, more of a cultural and race worry. In my undergrad, especially in the last two years, I was always one in a handful, maybe even one of two or just the one Chinese student in my English Lit classes and I could never muster up the courage to speak up in class. Similar with me sharing work. I was always worried people would judge me for my writing etc. but I need to just get over that fear ? and I think studying abroad for me will actually help because it’s almost like starting anew. Sorry, that was a lot of rambling, but of course everyone is different. I think you should still do what you think it’s best for you both writing wise and comfort wise! I’m not too familiar with a whole bunch of US programs. There are so many it makes my head swim so I might not be too helpful in that sense. ? But I will say that you should stay positive! Have faith in your writing and apply with confidence!! 

On 3/19/2021 at 8:08 PM, M-Lin said:

Neither my way yet! Thanks for the info! ????

I'm still waiting one way or the other, as well. And I came down with COVID so I literally have nothing to do except sit in my room in front of my computer and phone.

1 minute ago, M-Lin said:

I, too, wonder what other sadistic schools have not notified other than BU and Columbia ?

The New School hasn’t sent out waitlists or any rejections from what I know ?

2 minutes ago, CrankyGinger said:

I'm still waiting one way or the other, as well. And I came down with COVID so I literally have nothing to do except sit in my room in front of my computer and phone.

omg so sorry to hear that. lots of fluids and maybe you'll manage some reading as well. I hope you feel better soon! COVID is definitely still around...

and damnit they need to get their shit together. NYU and Columbia (I don't mean to single them out for any other reason) both have such a weird process of notifying the applicants. A call today, another call tomorrow; some e-mails, some portal changes. Like, why? At least NYU only had one person calling. Columbia's process seems even more nebulous. 

not a helpful rant and not my first rant about this... fingers crossed for you! 

7 minutes ago, iai said:

The New School hasn’t sent out waitlists or any rejections from what I know ?

They had some weird glitch in their system. Did you check your portal? 

4 minutes ago, iai said:

But not exactly in living in a big city worry, more of a cultural and race worry. In my undergrad, especially in the last two years, I was always one in a handful, maybe even one of two or just the one Chinese student in my English Lit classes and I could never muster up the courage to speak up in class. Similar with me sharing work. I was always worried people would judge me for my writing etc. but I need to just get over that fear ?

Thanks, and I'm glad you made this point about your feelings. There is a girl that sits behind me in one of my writing classes (never says a word, not sure where she is from) and reading that....it's a- you could be her feeling...So I plan to reach out to her next week to make sure she doesn't feel this way too. As far as getting over fear of writing/judgement...ha, here's what I did. I wrote a really dirty romance scene and then read it to my mom. OMG...but if you can do THAT...you can get over writing fear and embarrassment real quick. 

1 minute ago, Cristie said:

Thanks, and I'm glad you made this point about your feelings. There is a girl that sits behind me in one of my writing classes (never says a word, not sure where she is from) and reading that....it's a- you could be her feeling...So I plan to reach out to her next week to make sure she doesn't feel this way too. As far as getting over fear of writing/judgement...ha, here's what I did. I wrote a really dirty romance scene and then read it to my mom. OMG...but if you can do THAT...you can get over writing fear and embarrassment real quick. 

That’s very kind of you! And oh dear ? If I did that, I think my mom would question my sanity, and my grandmother would disown me. They’re still quite traditional-minded so it would be quite the cultural shock! They’d probably stop listening halfway through and walk out of the room to be completely honest ?