2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

8 minutes ago, cecsav said:

I turned 41 Monday! :)

Edited to add: Out of 12 applications, I have received four acceptances and am still waiting to hear from UNM. 

To add on, I’m in my 20s and out of 14 applications, I received no acceptances from US schools so I don’t think age is the issue (at least in my case! ?)

4 minutes ago, iai said:

To add on, I’m in my 20s and out of 14 applications, I received no acceptances from US schools so I don’t think age is the issue (at least in my case! ?)

oh no. I got five rejections. I guess I didn't put in enough effort and thought of applying to creative writing programs only in the first week of December and put together some random stuff to pass off as writing sample. I guess that's the only logical explanation. 

15 minutes ago, Blackhole said:

I hope that's not the case. But I got five rejections and it makes me feel very strange. I did get an offer from Columbia with some scholarship but it makes me feel that I am not good enough or too old now.

Congrats on CU. Did you find our recently? Are they done with their acceptances? 

1 minute ago, Blackhole said:

oh no. I got five rejections. I guess I didn't put in enough effort and thought of applying to creative writing programs only in the first week of December and put together some random stuff to pass off as writing sample. I guess that's the only logical explanation. 

This is my second year applying! Last year I applied to 7 programs, but only got into one with no funding. I think rather than age, I find that what programs really want to see is experience in the field and a certain level of dedication. 

I got a call yesterday. I thought it was the Amazon delivery person and I had just woken up so I didn't even understand much.  But the professor was kind and gave me his email id so I wrote to him and apologised. I am supposed to call him this weekend. I can ask him if you'd like me to. 

3 minutes ago, Blackhole said:

I got a call yesterday. I thought it was the Amazon delivery person and I had just woken up so I didn't even understand much.  But the professor was kind and gave me his email id so I wrote to him and apologised. I am supposed to call him this weekend. I can ask him if you'd like me to. 

would be amazing if you could ask. thank you!! 

17 minutes ago, cecsav said:

I would be afraid that a public forum like this might count as previously published when it comes to submission rules. Many (if not most) literary journals exclude work that has even been posted to a personal blog or website or to publicly accessible social media pages. 

I'm willing to sacrifice one to get help I can apply to other works. That thread is there is you want to participate, I'm more concerned with improving (seeing where I went wrong) right now so I can fix it and get in next year. But you make a good point, thanks for that. Wouldn't that then apply to submitting those works to numerous colleges? I do not know all of the ins/outs of this. 

4 minutes ago, Blackhole said:

“Amazon delivery person” I love this. ? Would totally be me too, to be completely honest. 

Just now, iai said:

“Amazon delivery person” I love this. ? Would totally be me too, to be completely honest. 

It was in the morning, which must be late night for the professor. it was just funny because I almost fell out of my bed when the phone rang.

Thanks. That would be great. It seems like CU is done with acceptances but the reporting on Results seems very low given cohort size, so I’m not sure. 

Just now, Boomer not Ok said:

Thanks. That would be great. It seems like CU is done with acceptances but the reporting on Results seems very low given cohort size, so I’m not sure. 

I guess. But I read it on draft and here that CU and NYU take almost everyone. So I don't even know if should be happy or sad. 

7 minutes ago, Cristie said:

I'm willing to sacrifice one to get help I can apply to other works. That thread is there is you want to participate, I'm more concerned with improving (seeing where I went wrong) right now so I can fix it and get in next year. But you make a good point, thanks for that. Wouldn't that then apply to submitting those works to numerous colleges? I do not know all of the ins/outs of this. 

The publication process is very different from the application process. Writing samples can include previously published works, as they are meant to be representative of your writing skill and style. Adcoms will not be publishing anyone's writing samples. However, most journals and contests require submissions to consist solely of unpublished work. I think it has something to do with copyrights as well as exclusivity. For example, if ten poets have the same ten poems published in five different journals, why would someone bother reading (and paying for) more than one? 

Edited by cecsav

I guess. But I read it on draft and here that CU and NYU take almost everyone. So I don't even know if should be happy or sad. 

That is simply not true. I'm rejected by NYU for one, and possibly Columbia as well? Don't let that mess with your head!!! Congratulations on your acceptance! 

Just now, M-Lin said:

That is simply not true. I'm rejected by NYU for one, and possibly Columbia as well? Don't let that mess with your head!!! Congratulations on your acceptance! 

after five rejections, you have already been to hell and sort of crawled out of the pity party. but Columbia is way too expensive and the money they are offering is not enough. I told them I can't attend if they don't give me more money so they have asked me to call again. Let's see. 

Just now, Blackhole said:

after five rejections, you have already been to hell and sort of crawled out of the pity party. but Columbia is way too expensive and the money they are offering is not enough. I told them I can't attend if they don't give me more money so they have asked me to call again. Let's see. 

that seems to be the problem for most of their accepted students. I do hope they work out something better for you. such a shame with all the amazing writers on the faculty and no funding for their students ? 

Just now, M-Lin said:

that seems to be the problem for most of their accepted students. I do hope they work out something better for you. such a shame with all the amazing writers on the faculty and no funding for their students ? 

that's so true. I hope they budge. 

5 minutes ago, cecsav said:

The publication process is very different from the application process. Writing samples can include previously published works, as they are meant to be representative of your writing skill and style. Adcoms will not be publishing anyone's writing samples. However, most journals and contests require submissions to consist solely of unpublished work. I think it has something to do with copyrights as well as exclusivity. For example, if ten poets have the same ten poems published in five different journals, why would someone bother reading (and paying for) more than one? 

Where do you honest get help then? None of the rejection letters give you a WHY...so I'm stuck in a guessing game. 

1 minute ago, Cristie said:

Where do you honest get help then? None of the rejection letters give you a WHY...so I'm stuck in a guessing game. 

Oh heck. I'm sorry, I was unclear. I think it's an excellent idea to form an online workshop/critique group! I was just suggesting a different format, perhaps via email or a shareable Google Doc rather than posted publicly within this forum. 

26 minutes ago, Blackhole said:

There are still many of us here waiting to hear back from CU, so just a thought. ?

@Blackhole @Cristie @caramelcarrottop Not to barge in on the conversation, but are you first time applicants? It's typically harder for someone to get in to the best programs on the first try (I personally aimed for the best schools last year and got burned real real bad). There are a lot of young people that get in, but I watched a panel from Iowa on youtube full of older applicants and they came to the conclusion that the more life experience you have, the better.

And I got lost in a conversation and don't know what I was saying anymore. I don't think this is helpful but still gonna post it.

Yes, it was my first time applying.  I didn't realize that they were more interested in literary fiction rather than popular fiction.  Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.  Also, I didn't know any better and didn't realize the multitude of schools out there that were fully funded.  Hence, I applied to the big name programs:  Iowa, Johns Hopkins, Michigan (Helen Zell), Brown, Cornell (I never sounded like any of the Cornell grads...looked at their youtube readings) and UC Irvine.  

51 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Not to barge in on the conversation, but are you first time applicants? It's typically harder for someone to get in to the best programs on the first try (I personally aimed for the best schools last year and got burned

Please...barge (and you weren't)...this is the only way I'm going to learn and figure this all out. I'll take all the advice I can get! Bring it. Any word from Florida? Or did I miss that?