2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

11 hours ago, koechophe said:

Still waiting on my last two rejections (curse you UNLV!) 

But anyway, another random question for people here. Has anyone had any "writer-ish" careers that they've had a great experience with coming out of undergrad? I've got some pretty decent ideas of what I'd like to do this year for a career while I wait to try again, but I'd love to hear about some of you folks' experiences

Seconding @Greel-- writing a lot on the job makes it harder for me to write in my spare time. Using the same "mental muscles" at work and home exhausts me. I liked (or at least tolerated) admin work, because it allowed me to save my mental resources for my own projects.

Edited by feralgrad

On 3/25/2021 at 10:37 AM, rroseselavy said:

Hi all, was wondering about the process of being notified from a waitlist. Looking around it would seem a lot of movement happens around the April 15th deadline, which is understandable, and I have resigned myself to not knowing for a few more weeks. But do schools (specifically UW-Madison) notify before April 15th if/when all spots are filled?

I have a partially-funded acceptance from another school that wants a commitment (and non-refundable tuition deposit) by the 1st. I have contacted the program that has accepted me to ask about the April 1st deadline (and to ask for more money; let them know I am on a waitlist elsewhere lol) and haven't received a response yet. 

Sending good energy to folks as they wait, make decisions or prepare for whatever's next for them; some of the people on this forum has been wild at times but I appreciate all the info, support and commiseration. 

I would expect that UW-Madison would notify you if all spots are filled. Fiction or poetry? I happen to know that not all poetry spots are filled yet. It's too bad that your other school doesn't abide by the CGS April 15 Resolution. 

1 hour ago, KLMNOP said:

I would expect that UW-Madison would notify you if all spots are filled. Fiction or poetry? I happen to know that not all poetry spots are filled yet. It's too bad that your other school doesn't abide by the CGS April 15 Resolution. 

Oh yeah? That is very interesting info indeed. This season UW only read for poetry. I lived in Madison for 3 years and would enjoy a reason to return. The April 1st deadline is very frustrating!

Hi all! Obligatory long time lurker, first time poster. I got a 75% scholarship to SJCNY (the writer’s foundry) and I’m considering it. However, I can’t seem to find a lot of info about it online. I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who is familiar with the program or knows someone who is? Thanks and good luck to everyone ☺️ Also, I’m bummed I might not be seeing Ydrl there haha

2 hours ago, flyinsaucer said:

Hi all! Obligatory long time lurker, first time poster. I got a 75% scholarship to SJCNY (the writer’s foundry) and I’m considering it. However, I can’t seem to find a lot of info about it online. I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who is familiar with the program or knows someone who is? Thanks and good luck to everyone ☺️ Also, I’m bummed I might not be seeing Ydrl there haha

Did you get the email for the accepted students day zoom meeting? It's on the 31st I think. You might some good answers there. And the people there seem quite nice, but so does new hampshire and I can't afford SJCNY. 

5 hours ago, Ydrl said:

Did you get the email for the accepted students day zoom meeting? It's on the 31st I think. You might some good answers there. And the people there seem quite nice, but so does new hampshire and I can't afford SJCNY. 

I did! Thank you. Congrats on getting a fully funded offer. I would have chosen UNH as well, or another fully funded offer (if I got one)

2 hours ago, Graceful Entropy said:

I actually did. Waitlisted. Guess you just have to yell into the void long enough and a small echo will bounce back.
Thanks for thinking of me!

Sure thing. I heard from UMKC today by phone and they are making decisions about funding sometime this week. It will come down to funding for me (unless someone gives up their spot at McNeese). I still haven't heard from two schools so??? Who knows what's gonna happen. 

13 hours ago, Writelife23 said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear from Hunter? Haven't received any updates about my application. Have they sent out rejections? 

Not a word! But definitely can assume a rejection at this point, not even sure if they send out official rejections? Lol

I just have to rant again about Columbia. 

I emailed them asking if there are any opportunities for people on the waitlist to get to know the program a little more so if and when admitted, I can make an informed decision. I know every school has events for admitted students but if I miss all those events as someone on the wait list, how am I going to know if I want to attend the program or not? Especially for Columbia, it’s hard to get a real sense of what the program, classes and students are like. 

What I got was a form “waitlist” answer that explains how the waitlist works and a disclaimer that the adcom is not able to review additional materials, and did not address my question at all. Also no acknowledge of my name (no “Hi xxx,” or “Dear xxx”), which I find rude. I wonder if the person even read my email? ?

Edited by M-Lin

My two cents on why people should think hard before attending Columbia for grad school:

I am a current 2nd year PhD student at Columbia. The majority of grad students are currently on strike for a living wage, better healthcare, and protection from harassment and discrimination. I have been watching the process of our new graduate union try to bargain for our first contract for over two years. In these sessions, I have seen admin (and their sleazy lawyer, who charges $1,500/hr) do everything possible to stall negotiations, belittle us, and play down heartfelt testimonials that make clear why our demands are reasonable and necessary. Every time we've gotten a raise in the past, our Columbia rent magically goes up by a higher percentage. Our wages are not enough to live in NYC. There is no dental or vision coverage, and they recently removed the better health insurance plan option. The school has a terrible history with harassment and discrimination cases brought by both undergrads and grads (Google it), and at the moment they are doing everything possible to avoid meeting our contract demand about changing the investigation process to give more rights to the complainant (see link below).

We're entering the 3rd week of the strike, and Columbia has made very clear that they plan to not only doc our bi-weekly pay (which we receive for TA/RA work), but our academic stipends--yep, they are going to debit our student accounts, thereby jeopardizing course registration, degree progress, visas, and health insurance. We have a legal right to strike, but this later action constitutes illegal academic retaliation.

Long story short: I'm sure a lot of schools are as corrupt as Columbia, but I've just seen first hand how rotten this place is to the core. They only care about profit (their endowment grew $300 million during the pandemic alone), squeezing as much our of grad workers and adjuncts for as little pay as possible, sweeping bad press under the rug, and gentrifying Harlem with multi-million dollar campus expansions.

I encourage folks thinking about attending/applying to Columbia to express concerns to department chairs and administrators, and ask them why they insist on denying grad workers a fair contract: 

https://gothamist.com/news/columbia-grad-students-strike-over-wages-and-harassment-policies-nyu-counterparts-vote-similar-actions

Hi ya'll!

I saw some questions about BU. I got accepted and was notified via phone call last Friday. I am not sure what's up with fiction, but I was told I should know who else is in the poetry program by the end of this week. I will be attending BU and I'm turning down my offer to Sarah Lawrence and withdrawing my name from the NYU waitlist. Good luck to everyone! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(First time applicant, BFA '18)

Applying to: Boston University, Brown, Columbia, Northwestern, New York University, Purdue, Sarah Lawrence, University of Michigan, University of Virginia

Accepted: Boston University, Sarah Lawrence 

Waitlisted: New York University

Rejected: Brown, Columbia, Northwestern, University of Michigan, University of Virginia

????: Purdue 

Attending: Boston University 

hi all, was just accepted to BU for fiction. I received a phone call from Leslie Epstein this morning. I'm in shock! I was not expecting this after getting so many rejections. Anyone else attending? 

edit: also, to the person who said anyone rejected from NYU hasn't the slightest idea what literary fiction is (and recommended community college), go back under your bridge. I was rejected from NYU!

Edited by flyinsaucer

1 hour ago, flyinsaucer said:

hi all, was just accepted to BU for fiction. I received a phone call from Leslie Epstein this morning. I'm in shock! I was not expecting this after getting so many rejections. Anyone else attending? 

edit: also, to the person who said anyone rejected from NYU hasn't the slightest idea what literary fiction is (and recommended community college), go back under your bridge. I was rejected from NYU!

Wow. congrats. would you know how many do they generally take for fiction? 

Just got accepted to Idaho for poetry off the waitlist! Pretty stoked. Still waitlisted at Houston. Anyone have thoughts on Idaho? I know it's not the most prestigious program, but the profs are super accomplished and it seems like they have a top ten pedigree in terms of poets getting published in Best American poetry and getting Pushcart Prizes. I know that only tells part of the story, but it's an encouraging part. 

8 hours ago, ladyxlazarus said:

Hi ya'll!

I saw some questions about BU. I got accepted and was notified via phone call last Friday. I am not sure what's up with fiction, but I was told I should know who else is in the poetry program by the end of this week. I will be attending BU and I'm turning down my offer to Sarah Lawrence and withdrawing my name from the NYU waitlist. Good luck to everyone! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(First time applicant, BFA '18)

Applying to: Boston University, Brown, Columbia, Northwestern, New York University, Purdue, Sarah Lawrence, University of Michigan, University of Virginia

Accepted: Boston University, Sarah Lawrence 

Waitlisted: New York University

Rejected: Brown, Columbia, Northwestern, University of Michigan, University of Virginia

????: Purdue 

Attending: Boston University 

Congrats!! ❤️ You deserve the best! :) Honestly you all do, keep hanging in there everyone ❤️ sending a virtual hug 

Edited by SMSM1229