2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

4 minutes ago, woweezowee said:

What school did you go to? And which creative writing MFA programs accepted you?

I went to City College in New York. The only difference between her and me is I don't pretend to be Ivy League, and she got into Vanderbilt MFA.

Harvard too gives a open admission BA from Harvard Extension School. It charges top dollar and makes money. Plenty of people go there and imply they went to Harvard College.  

Just now, woweezowee said:

How do you know which school within Columbia University they attended if they haven't mentioned it?

If you google her name, you'll find a Columbia student newspaper article saying she went to Columbia's School of General Studies. Columbia lets the marketing department call it Ivy League; all the ivy continuing ed schools do the same. Harvard Extension is allowed to call itself Harvard. 

22 hours ago, koechophe said:

I haven't "failed" as a writer.

5 minutes ago, woweezowee said:

Cool -- it's really sad that you're out there googling people in order to undercut them anonymously. 

The School of General Studies is not an extension school. You take the same classes that people in Columbia College take. Someone who graduated from GS has a degree from Columbia University. 

That is not exactly true. For starters, the School of General Studies is more or less open admission. The General Studies School has its own classes, but you can sign up, with limitations, for Columbia College classes. If you apply to Columbia College, you are barred for three years from applying to the School of General Studies. Sounds crazy but google it. 

People in New York know all about the General Studies School, but I agree that overseas people might be fooled, as with the Columbia MFA. 

I only googled her because she posted the strange claim that she has a GED but is ivy league. She was implying that is normal. I knew that was just about impossible. She was being deceptive in order to inspire with her achievements. I found it distasteful. A quick google search showed she meant Columbia School of General Studies.

4 minutes ago, woweezowee said:

I notice you didn't answer my other question -- remind us, which creative writing MFA programs accepted you?

Every MFA rejected me. You don't get me at all. My type brags about failure. It gives us reason to strive. My type never makes the irrational claim that they were rejected everywhere but did not fail. I failed alright, failed everywhere and grandly. Don't feel sorry for me. I'm not noble and secretly suspect I'm usually the smartest in the room. 

3 minutes ago, woweezowee said:

Why should anyone take your advice re MFA programs, since you weren't able to get into one and have been consistently and factually wrong about the merits and qualities of so many colleges and universities?

There is no good reason someone should take my advice other than it is not the standard BS you'll find everywhere else. MFA's are opaque. Advice here is more art than science.

There is a wiki article on the College of General Studies and Harvard Extension. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AColumbia_University_School_of_General_Studies 

Just now, woweezowee said:

Cool, nice link -- I don't need it. You're definitely completely wrong about General Studies. Please stop posting your misinformation and using this page to advance your personal vendettas.

My only vendetta is against disinformation (which is the word generally preferred over misinformation). It used to be considered a fake word, but by now, is just unorthodox. 

1 minute ago, porta said:

My only vendetta is against disinformation (which is the word generally preferred over misinformation). It used to be considered a fake word, but by now, is just unorthodox. 

wikipedia is not the best source.just saying. maybe you think I am not a writer. I am certainly a journalist and Wikipedia is not very reliable. you are always advised to verify information that you get on wikipedia.

16 hours ago, cecsav said:

Did you receive a funding offer from UMKC? They emailed me about a TAship today, but I will still be turning them down for ASU

No word from them yet, this was New Orleans. 

Well, just found out I was waitlisted at Charleston. Strange, no word from them at all and just the portal staring back at me saying "under review". So I emailed them.. btw...you are waitlisted in fiction--but they only take 6. 

46 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Every time someone argues with the troll, the more I don't want to be on this website.

We just need a middle finger emoji on the reaction thingy.

9 minutes ago, Blackhole said:

we can't always tell if someone is a troll. that's all. 

Oh we can't always, but I've been here with this asshole so long that the speech patterns, general content, and stupid arguments kind of give it away...

2 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Oh we can't always, but I've been here with this asshole so long that the speech patterns, general content, and stupid arguments kind of give it away...

I can imagine. I just didn't know. I thought he/she/others was trying to be helpful but it was a lot of disrespect for others. but thanks for pointing it out. 

Well, BU told someone they'd have results out by the end of the first week of April (if I'm remembering correctly?), and yet here I am, haha, with zero news.

It's okay, BU, truly.  Just mass-send those emails.

It continually boggles my mind why non-personal rejection emails are staggered or delayed once all acceptances have been sent out.  I just don't see the purpose of that, and since waitlists also go out (not sure if BU even sends out waitlist notices) around the same time as acceptances, one would think the process wouldn't need to be dragged out so much.

If the pool of accepted and waitlisted folk is always small, then just do away with the rejections via those same mass-emails everyone who's not in receives?

Anyway, no idea.  Um, godspeed everyone!  And remember to go Plus Ultra!

Edited by oubukibun

6 hours ago, Ydrl said:

Every time someone argues with the troll, the more I don't want to be on this website.

Big mood. Maybe that troll should spend more time writing instead of being vindictive and wasting everyone's time. If we ignore it...maybe it'll go away...?

For those who applied to Columbia and were either waitlisted or accepted, can you tell me a bit about what you wrote for the response to a piece of literature published in the last 10 years? I'm a bit nervous that I botched that essay. I'm definitely not saying that is the only reason I was rejected, but I definitely would like to try to figure out where I may have gone wrong outside of my writing sample. Thank you so much for any info!