2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

Probably a dumb question but I really don't know the answer since I've always lived in my own house. While weighing this program or that program and considering rent/food/utilities and all that...can rent (college graduate apartments) be put on a student loan and a meal plan at their dining hall? Or is all that expected to be out of pocket? I've never had a student loan before so I'm not sure what all it covers??? I didn't apply to any fully-funded programs so I knew I'd have to get a loan for some of the cost but as I'm doing some math...ugh. I need to do some research obviously but hoped someone might just know so I could save some time before I dive into the internet. THANKS!

Cristie

1 minute ago, Cristie said:

Probably a dumb question but I really don't know the answer since I've always lived in my own house. While weighing this program or that program and considering rent/food/utilities and all that...can rent (college graduate apartments) be put on a student loan and a meal plan at their dining hall? Or is all that expected to be out of pocket? I've never had a student loan before so I'm not sure what all it covers??? I didn't apply to any fully-funded programs so I knew I'd have to get a loan for some of the cost but as I'm doing some math...ugh. I need to do some research obviously but hoped someone might just know so I could save some time before I dive into the internet. THANKS!

Cristie

The loan is a lot less strict than grants and scholarships. You can use it on just about anything you want. They only really care that it gets paid back. Also, as a grad student, you shouldn't have to purchase a meal plan. It's probably cheaper (and healthier, and tastier) to prepare your own food at home. 

26 minutes ago, cecsav said:

The loan is a lot less strict than grants and scholarships. You can use it on just about anything you want. They only really care that it gets paid back. Also, as a grad student, you shouldn't have to purchase a meal plan. It's probably cheaper (and healthier, and tastier) to prepare your own food at home. 

Good to know, I've only ever had scholarships. I'm sure I'll be eating Ramen, lol. But since I'm moving to a place I'm not familiar with and don't know a single soul, I thought I might do a meal plan just in the beginning. Plus, moving to either Kansas City or New Orleans (I haven't decided yet) is NOT going to help the waistline at all. I should have applied to places with really crappy food. I mean BBQ...I'm doomed-don't even get me started on all the stuff I'll want to eat if I go to UNO. I want to make a treadmill desk...(picture THAT) all this sitting and writing is uh....not good. Thanks for the info!

Just now, Cristie said:

Good to know, I've only ever had scholarships. I'm sure I'll be eating Ramen, lol. But since I'm moving to a place I'm not familiar with and don't know a single soul, I thought I might do a meal plan just in the beginning. Plus, moving to either Kansas City or New Orleans (I haven't decided yet) is NOT going to help the waistline at all. I should have applied to places with really crappy food. I mean BBQ...I'm doomed-don't even get me started on all the stuff I'll want to eat if I go to UNO. I want to make a treadmill desk...(picture THAT) all this sitting and writing is uh....not good. Thanks for the info!

Hahaha. Skip the BBQ. Go to Southwest Blvd and eat Mexican food!

9 hours ago, smxpoetess said:

-UNLV (International Track)

I'm still waiting on them too. I got an email from the chair like march 22 where they said they were "still processing applications" and that they were hoping to have decisions out by April 1st, so I'm assuming it's a no? But it'll be nice to get that confirmation. 

6 hours ago, koechophe said:

I'm still waiting on them too. I got an email from the chair like march 22 where they said they were "still processing applications" and that they were hoping to have decisions out by April 1st, so I'm assuming it's a no? But it'll be nice to get that confirmation. 

Hi. I emailed them April 2 and this was their reply:

"Thank you for your inquiry, There have been some offers made but I don't have any additional news on where the rest of the applications are in the admissions process. I know our director wanted to have news out to everyone through the grad portal by April 1, but it doesn't look like this is going to be possible. In a typical year, we would have updated the status for all the applicants but the pandemic caused some unforeseen obstacles. Thank you for your patience during this very anxious time. The committee is working on getting updated information out to all applicants soon."

I know they've communicated acceptances based on some of the postings here, but I think rejections have not been sent out until they fill their spaces. AFAIK, they have not sent any waitlisted emails so maybe all of us are waitlisted at this point haha. I am not optimistic though since they only get one per genre for PhD. I know they get at least four per genre for MFA. Good luck!!

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Another day of waiting patiently.... sending positive vibes to everyone still waiting to hearing back.

I'm trying to redirect my energy so I'll be spending the day meditating, communing with my pet & plants, and hopefully getting into the flow while writing :D

On 4/1/2021 at 9:51 PM, Boomer not Ok said:

You may be ok then. I’m waiting on fiction from them but know at this point it’s gotta to be a ‘no.’ Hope it comes through for you. 

Lots of activity today from them on the survey. Did you hear anything?

33 minutes ago, Boomer not Ok said:

Nothing yet. Really weird. Yeah, I saw a lot of poetry decisions released. Only one fiction. Also, no word from McNeese either. 

ok whew, I was hoping that one fiction wasn't you --because of the comment next to it. 

Nothing from McNeese here either but I'm crossing my fingers still. I did see that someone got in off the waitlist in years prior so MAYBE. Keep us posted! 

21 minutes ago, Cristie said:

ok whew, I was hoping that one fiction wasn't you --because of the comment next to it. 

Nothing from McNeese here either but I'm crossing my fingers still. I did see that someone got in off the waitlist in years prior so MAYBE. Keep us posted! 

Thanks for thinking of me. Can totally relate with that poster though. Finally.....

Edited by Boomer not Ok

Hi again yall - Still waiting approval for MFA Draft '21. Anyone w/ access to Draft hear any news from U New Mexico? I applied for CNF.

I think, for my own sanity, if I don't hear back from them by this Friday 4/9, I'm going to sign my one acceptance letter & mail it off.

This admission process is really trying to teach me patience lol

1 hour ago, rbb_ergo said:

Hi again yall - Still waiting approval for MFA Draft '21. Anyone w/ access to Draft hear any news from U New Mexico? I applied for CNF.

I think, for my own sanity, if I don't hear back from them by this Friday 4/9, I'm going to sign my one acceptance letter & mail it off.

This admission process is really trying to teach me patience lol

I was rejected by UNM for CNF in early March!

On 3/24/2021 at 2:25 PM, lacanian_lychen said:

Has anyone heard updates from UC Riverside? (Fiction or otherwise)? Seems weird they haven't sent decisions out yet

I emailed the coordinator yesterday and didn't receive a response. Wondering if anyone else has heard back as well!

I emailed BU about when rejection e-mails would all be sent out but I haven't received a response yet.

I'll just go ahead and cut my losses and call it a 0/4 then.

I'm inclined to do one more cycle of this, and thus far I've narrowed it down to: Emerson, Fairbanks, Hunter, McNeese, Michigan, Purdue, UCSD, and WashU.  And by narrowed it down, I mean those are mostly arbitrary, of-the-moment decisions informed by that entertaining post from yonks ago where film directors were assigned to different schools, haha.

Happy schooling, everyone!  And, uh, guess I'll see everyone else later?

Cheers!

4 hours ago, jamestrickington said:

anyone else waiting to hear from Rutgers Newark? more than assuming rejection at this point... but still want the email that says so...

I withdrew my application a week ago and the portal still says no decision. Nobody got back to me on all three of my emails so I decided against keeping my app in the ring...

Edited by Ydrl

2 hours ago, oubukibun said:

I emailed BU about when rejection e-mails would all be sent out but I haven't received a response yet.

I'm inclined to do one more cycle of this, and thus far I've narrowed it down to: Emerson, Fairbanks, Hunter, McNeese, Michigan, Purdue, UCSD, and WashU.  And by narrowed it down, I mean those are mostly arbitrary, of-the-moment decisions informed by that entertaining post from yonks ago where film directors were assigned to different schools, haha.

Cheers!

I got BU rejection today. 

2 hours ago, oubukibun said:

Cheers!

Check the survey thing on here, looks like they are doing them now. Maybe you aren't rejected. I say hold your horses and just wait. They started doing them yesterday and have done more today on there. And it looks like everyone was irritated with their tardiness too. Crossing my fingers and y'all all have me watching BU when I didn't even apply there! lol. Good luck guys/gals.

Just now, Cristie said:

Sending hugs. I'm sorry. 

it is not so bad :) I guess I will have to start all over again. and make the effort it needs. it has been a learning experience and very humbling one as well.

I'm gonna say it on this thread and the 2022 thread, but anyone who wants my MFA school spreadsheet link (for next application season) can message me. It has virtually anything you can think of about a school that I could find. I encourage you to copy and update your spreadsheet to your needs as the virus has changed things drastically. It has stipends, average-low apartment prices, program duration, town, teaching, stuff like that. Hope your next application season goes better!

Just now, Blackhole said:

it is not so bad :) I guess I will have to start all over again. and make the effort it needs. it has been a learning experience and very humbling one as well.

If it makes you feel any better the call telling me that I did not get picked for any funding sucked just a little worse than the rejections. There, I'm just out the application fees...and my pride. Now I'm looking at a future of student loan debt unless a waitlist spot opens up last minute or unless the Big Easy comes through. This has all been very humbling you are right. Hang in there and I swear, write the bird and old man story and sprinkle in some magic. I just have a feeling that one is a winner. 

2 minutes ago, Cristie said:

If it makes you feel any better the call telling me that I did not get picked for any funding sucked just a little worse than the rejections. There, I'm just out the application fees...and my pride. Now I'm looking at a future of student loan debt unless a waitlist spot opens up last minute or unless the Big Easy comes through. This has all been very humbling you are right. Hang in there and I swear, write the bird and old man story and sprinkle in some magic. I just have a feeling that one is a winner. 

awww, you remember the bird man. I think you will make it this time. or the next. I am 41 and I am thinking whether I should try next year. 

"There are always flowers on her grave. That's hope."
- some interviews give you some beautiful sentences. It was a sad story.
A reporter is also an archivist who saves sentences and fragments of memories of others. We are our own libraries of stories with no closure. Just like love. Just like loss. That's why I can't do fiction I suppose. the story was about a young girl killed in a police encounter in 2004. all the accused were discharged. I should just be a reporter and listen to stories.