Cristie Posted April 10, 2021 Posted April 10, 2021 For the second year folks on here or anyone who knows. There is all this focus on April 15th. What happens after that...so all the schools decide. All of us decide...there have to be loose ends. Like if you are waitlisted but accept somewhere else, then your waitlist school comes through on April 16th because someone decided at the last minute and freed up a spot? Then what happens? Can that even happen? Are offers made after April 15th? I'm kind of in freak out mode because I know I need to make a decision but I'm holding out hope on this waitlist spot.
purgatoryparadise Posted April 10, 2021 Posted April 10, 2021 11 hours ago, Cristie said: New question, about the money is applied to tuition/fees and the rest is refunded to you to live on in a big check each semester. If that is the case, I will need to have some upfront money of my own for a deposit/first month's rent most likely because I want to move to my new state early to be sure I get a place and get settled (learn my way around) before school starts right? This part sounds like it comes down to a tricky timing issue that could put me in a pinch if I'm not smart about it. The whole waiting for a refund check. I know I'll eat the moving costs if I actually pack up and move-move but I'm thinking now to pack what I need in my car and drive there then just find thrifty items to fill in the gaps once I'm there. Then it sounds like a bank account and an auto pay for the rent with the refund. Am I on the right track with this? Bingo. It’ll unfortunately take some upfront costs to make that initial move. I’m not sure what resources are out there to help with that cost since I had to dip into my savings to do that. Asking the department directly for advice or pointing to resources might be worthwhile, as I’m sure many of their incoming students have to deal with that. I read somewhere that someone even got their program to help with moving costs? That’s probably extremely rare though. George Saunders had a funny story about how he was utterly clueless when he moved to Syracuse for his MFA. If I recall correctly, it involved having to sleep in his truck for awhile because he had no idea he couldn’t just show up and get an apartment without any money to his name. Cristie 1
Ydrl Posted April 10, 2021 Posted April 10, 2021 9 hours ago, Cristie said: For the second year folks on here or anyone who knows. There is all this focus on April 15th. What happens after that...so all the schools decide. All of us decide...there have to be loose ends. Like if you are waitlisted but accept somewhere else, then your waitlist school comes through on April 16th because someone decided at the last minute and freed up a spot? Then what happens? Can that even happen? Are offers made after April 15th? I'm kind of in freak out mode because I know I need to make a decision but I'm holding out hope on this waitlist spot. This is on Wisconsin's webiste: "We at Wisconsin advise any applicant who is feeling pressured to accept another MFA program's offer before the April 15th deadline to simply send the program a friendly email that states, "I see that your institution is a member of the Council of Graduate Schools. As such, I believe that I have the right to consider your offer up until the April 15th deadline as established by the council. Thanks so much!" Most universities are big places where one hand doesn’t know what the other hand is doing. " Some schools don't accept anyone after the April 15th deadline, even if someone declines their offer at the last minute. It would be cruel to put someone in the position of having accepted an offer, only to get another offer form a waitlisted college that's better. Some of the bigger schools in New York tend to do stuff like that though. One time in the results page on GradCafe, I saw someone get rejected from NYU in July. I'm not sure what school you're waiting for, but if it's a big New York school, I honestly wouldn't wait. If you have an offer that you aren't sure you want to take, I would try again next year. These are just my thoughts though. turtlesfordays and Cristie 1 1
chrisclements Posted April 10, 2021 Posted April 10, 2021 hey people! i've officially committed to the university of alabama, so if anyone else that's going there wants to connect, hit me up! cecsav 1
quesofresco Posted April 11, 2021 Posted April 11, 2021 23 hours ago, Cristie said: For the second year folks on here or anyone who knows. There is all this focus on April 15th. What happens after that...so all the schools decide. All of us decide...there have to be loose ends. Like if you are waitlisted but accept somewhere else, then your waitlist school comes through on April 16th because someone decided at the last minute and freed up a spot? Then what happens? Can that even happen? Are offers made after April 15th? I'm kind of in freak out mode because I know I need to make a decision but I'm holding out hope on this waitlist spot. Yes, offers are made on the 15th. I was offered a spot into an MFA from the waitlist on the afternoon of April 15 a few years back. Other friends have been admitted to programs later than that date. Being waitlisted at a dream program while accepted to a maybe program is kind of a crap situation to be in-- but at the same time, schools are aware of this and the domino effect that can happen, and will hopefully try to keep you informed. If you haven't reached out to your waitlisted school, maybe do that to get an idea of where you are on the list, how many people haven't said yes yet, and to tell them that if they offer you a spot you will definitely accept. Hope it works out for you! woweezowee, Cristie and rbb_ergo 3
Cristie Posted April 11, 2021 Posted April 11, 2021 14 hours ago, quesofresco said: If you haven't reached out to your waitlisted school, maybe do that to get an idea of where you are on the list, how many people haven't said yes yet, and to tell them that if they offer you a spot you will definitely accept. Hope it works out for you! Thank you and I have reached out. They know I will accept, they are just waiting to hear back on a few people and they will let me know either way. Domino effect is so accurate. I wasn't given a number, but powerful words. Since we are in the word business, I have to believe if a spot comes open it will be mine. I think I'm just having an internal battle over the indecision of others determines my fate and clearly, I'm not alone in experiencing this uncomfortable feeling. When my daughter was little (back when she said words all wrong) she used to say, "No, no. I can't like this," and wave her little hand back and forth. Lol, that's where I'm at. jujubee and woweezowee 2
SpaceJunk Posted April 11, 2021 Posted April 11, 2021 Hello, I just wanted to send a message to anyone who has an offer to a program they're not excited about. My message is: you don't have to go. Last year I got some fully-funded offers but not from the programs at the top of my list. I was on some waitlists, but they didn't work out. I felt like I had to say yes to the best offer I had, even though I was pretty sure that it wasn't a good fit. I didn't click with anyone on the faculty and I felt pretty out of place with most of my cohort when I met them. I committed, but I ended up being right: my program is not the best place for me. I am not sure what I'm going to do, if I will drop out or finish or transfer, but I wish that I was not in this position. I wanted to be in a program so bad, and I thought I would be a failure if I applied a second time, so I said yes, but it is really hard to live in a place I resent. My advice is that if you're disappointed with your offer (even if it is fully funded, even if other people would love to be in your shoes!) it's okay to say no thanks. Trying again next year doesn't make you a failure. Good luck with your decisions this week! jujubee, Ydrl, rbb_ergo and 1 other 4
turtlesfordays Posted April 11, 2021 Posted April 11, 2021 38 minutes ago, SpaceJunk said: Hello, I just wanted to send a message to anyone who has an offer to a program they're not excited about. My message is: you don't have to go. I’m curious about this (please don’t read my questions as passive aggressive, I think it’s totally valid to reject an offer): if you weren’t interested enough to go if accepted, why did you apply? Did you not get the aid offer you had hoped for? Did you meet the faculty or students after the fact and realize the program wouldn’t be a good fit? Did your circumstances change? Or was it simply a change of heart? I applied to a number of programs, but would’ve been happy to accept an offer of admission from any of them. So for my own sake, are there things to watch out for if you are accepted that you wouldn’t have thought to watch out for when you applied? cecsav 1
SpaceJunk Posted April 11, 2021 Posted April 11, 2021 Just now, turtlesfordays said: I’m curious about this (please don’t read my questions as passive aggressive, I think it’s totally valid to reject an offer): if you weren’t interested enough to go if accepted, why did you apply? Did you not get the aid offer you had hoped for? Did you meet the faculty or students after the fact and realize the program wouldn’t be a good fit? Did your circumstances change? Or was it simply a change of heart? I applied to a number of programs, but would’ve been happy to accept an offer of admission from any of them. So for my own sake, are there things to watch out for if you are accepted that you wouldn’t have thought to watch out for when you applied? I don't mind answering your questions! I applied because I wanted to cast a big net. I thought it was most important to be in any fully-funded program because my goal was to leave my job. I knew it wasn't right for me after I went to a campus visit right before COVID. Faculty and location were big red flags for me, and I ignored them. turtlesfordays and jka0124 2
turtlesfordays Posted April 12, 2021 Posted April 12, 2021 Oh shoot! I just received an offer of admission from the University of Maryland! I’m going to Maryland! Jjayy, shakyboots, lenagator1997 and 5 others 8
woweezowee Posted April 12, 2021 Posted April 12, 2021 3 minutes ago, turtlesfordays said: Oh shoot! I just received an offer of admission from the University of Maryland! I’m going to Maryland! Congrats! turtlesfordays 1
BloodstainedRoses Posted April 12, 2021 Posted April 12, 2021 If a school doesn't get back to you (waitlist, acceptance, or rejection) by April 15th, does that basically mean it's a rejection? UMass Boston hasn't gotten back to me. I've emailed several times and haven't heard back.
Ydrl Posted April 13, 2021 Posted April 13, 2021 22 hours ago, turtlesfordays said: Oh shoot! I just received an offer of admission from the University of Maryland! I’m going to Maryland! YAAAAAAAASSSSSS! Have an awesome time for both of us!!! turtlesfordays 1
rbb_ergo Posted April 13, 2021 Posted April 13, 2021 On 4/11/2021 at 5:47 PM, SpaceJunk said: Hello, I just wanted to send a message to anyone who has an offer to a program they're not excited about. My message is: you don't have to go. Last year I got some fully-funded offers but not from the programs at the top of my list. I was on some waitlists, but they didn't work out. I felt like I had to say yes to the best offer I had, even though I was pretty sure that it wasn't a good fit. I didn't click with anyone on the faculty and I felt pretty out of place with most of my cohort when I met them. I committed, but I ended up being right: my program is not the best place for me. I am not sure what I'm going to do, if I will drop out or finish or transfer, but I wish that I was not in this position. I wanted to be in a program so bad, and I thought I would be a failure if I applied a second time, so I said yes, but it is really hard to live in a place I resent. My advice is that if you're disappointed with your offer (even if it is fully funded, even if other people would love to be in your shoes!) it's okay to say no thanks. Trying again next year doesn't make you a failure. Good luck with your decisions this week! I'm sorry to hear that you're in this position. I also want to thank you for sharing this with us. It's a good reminder that we don't have to take what is offered to us if it's not what we're hungry for. I guess I'm in a similar boat.... Hesitant to turn down my one acceptance b/c I feel like I'm running out of time (I blame our culture's fetishization of youth/ageism). For whatever reason, I feel like most writers who get published book deals are in their late 20s/early 30s & I don't want to miss that timeframe :/ Not that I need an MFA to get published ofc, but it's helpful to have 2-3 years dedicated to writing vs. grinding it out w/ a FT job (tried that, it sucked). SIGH UNM, if you hear me sighing all the way here on the East Coast, PLS get back to me! T__T
SpaceJunk Posted April 13, 2021 Posted April 13, 2021 10 minutes ago, rbb_ergo said: I'm sorry to hear that you're in this position. I also want to thank you for sharing this with us. It's a good reminder that we don't have to take what is offered to us if it's not what we're hungry for. I guess I'm in a similar boat.... Hesitant to turn down my one acceptance b/c I feel like I'm running out of time (I blame our culture's fetishization of youth/ageism). For whatever reason, I feel like most writers who get published book deals are in their late 20s/early 30s & I don't want to miss that timeframe ? Not that I need an MFA to get published ofc, but it's helpful to have 2-3 years dedicated to writing vs. grinding it out w/ a FT job (tried that, it sucked). SIGH UNM, if you hear me sighing all the way here on the East Coast, PLS get back to me! T__T If you're not excited about signing the offer, don't do it!! Waiting a year will not make you too late. Whatever you write will happen on your own time, and your path won't look like anyone else's. rbb_ergo 1
Cristie Posted April 13, 2021 Posted April 13, 2021 Ok friends, left-field acceptance to Butler University today...I only applied there because my mentor is a huge fan. What do we know about Butler? Here is where I am at (and remember I hate the cold with a passion): University of New Orleans The coveted waitlisted spot at McNeese I'm praying to come through in the last minute of the game (nail biter). Butler...which I somewhat investigated but did not spend the effort contacting students and people associated with that program for input like I did the others.
koechophe Posted April 14, 2021 Posted April 14, 2021 I'm still hoping those last two schools will finally talk to me tomorrow or the next day... I never expected it to drag out this long for them. Waiting on UNLV and WSU (English, not MFA). I know it's probably no's, but I think I'd feel better if I knew it was definitely no's. It's hard to close the door when there's still that sliver of light leaking through. Cristie and purgatoryparadise 2
rroseselavy Posted April 14, 2021 Posted April 14, 2021 So tomorrow is the big deadline for a lot of programs. Anyone else still holding out hope for a WL to come through? For those who have gone through this before--will there really be a lot of sudden movement? The program I'm waiting for says they may not be able to notify either way until the 15th or a couple days later...I was initially excited to be waitlisted at a program that is a top choice for me, but this holding pattern has made managing my expectations really difficult. rbb_ergo 1
Cristie Posted April 14, 2021 Posted April 14, 2021 11 hours ago, koechophe said: Waiting on UNLV Check the survey, there is something about them on there today.
rbb_ergo Posted April 14, 2021 Posted April 14, 2021 2 hours ago, rroseselavy said: So tomorrow is the big deadline for a lot of programs. Anyone else still holding out hope for a WL to come through? For those who have gone through this before--will there really be a lot of sudden movement? The program I'm waiting for says they may not be able to notify either way until the 15th or a couple days later...I was initially excited to be waitlisted at a program that is a top choice for me, but this holding pattern has made managing my expectations really difficult. You are absolutely not alone. I hope you're able to manage your emotions/expectations during these next few days. We'll get through this! (We got thru the hardest part, after all -- the application itself!) I'm also waiting & hoping for a WL offer to come through, from 2 schools. One of which is my absolute top choice whom I suspect have an internal waitlist but they haven't communicated anything to me since 1/15/21 (UNM, I'm talkin about YOU!) and the other which is my 2nd top choice (b/c they're a 2yrs program, but with a lighter teaching load). Keeping my fingers crossed & sending all of us who are waiting for decisions lots of positive energy! rroseselavy and funfettuccine 2
Yellow62 Posted April 14, 2021 Posted April 14, 2021 I'm expecting the real chaos to start today because I imagine a good amount of people who haven't made their choices yet will do so before tomorrow as a courtesy to the schools and waitlists of the schools they will be declining. As a fellow waitlister, I feel like vulnerable game in an open field that could be struck with an e-mail deciding my fate at any second. Stay strong everyone, we're in the final stretch. Cristie, rroseselavy and rbb_ergo 3
Writelife23 Posted April 14, 2021 Posted April 14, 2021 Anyone know what happens if you don't accept or deny an offer from a program by tomorrow? I'm still waiting to hear back from a few about funding...
koechophe Posted April 14, 2021 Posted April 14, 2021 6 hours ago, Cristie said: Check the survey, there is something about them on there today. There's been some movement for CNF, but not much for fiction that I've seen.
rbb_ergo Posted April 15, 2021 Posted April 15, 2021 (edited) Wishing all of us the best today! No matter what happens, I'm proud of all of us for putting ourselves out there -- laying bare ourselves, our desires is not easy. Vulnerability requires so much emotional honesty, strength & willpower. Let's finish strong! That said -- give yourself room to grieve, if that's what you need. Make room to mourn the closing of this season, but remember that you can always plant seeds for the following season (well, 'tis mostly a reminder to myself lol) Still holding out hope for UNM & UTK for CNF. Edited April 15, 2021 by rbb_ergo clarity Greel 1
Recommended Posts