2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

Indeed, I received my rejection e-mail earlier as well.  They just needed a little nudge.  ;)

Well, this has certainly been a very long engagement, but not nearly as enjoyable or thrilling as the film or the novel it's based on.

I'd LOVE that spreadsheet, please.  I'm a taskmaster, and pros/cons lists and scheduled activities are pretty much a part of my DNA.

I will message you my email in a message so you can send it away!

I do wonder if this is the right thing for me, because all I feel is indifference about the rejections.  I'm not certain, but maybe that's a nudge too cavalier an attitude, or maybe it's fine.

I'll probably just self-immolate once all 8 future schools I'm applying to reject my writing as well.

But WHAT a way to go!

Toodles everyone, and see some of you on the other thread!

Just now, oubukibun said:

Indeed, I received my rejection e-mail earlier as well.  They just needed a little nudge.  ;)

Well, this has certainly been a very long engagement, but not nearly as enjoyable or thrilling as the film or the novel it's based on.

I'd LOVE that spreadsheet, please.  I'm a taskmaster, and pros/cons lists and scheduled activities are pretty much a part of my DNA.

I do wonder if this is the right thing for me, because all I feel is indifference about the rejections.  I'm not certain, but maybe that's a nudge too cavalier an attitude, or maybe it's fine.

I'll probably just self-immolate once all 8 future schools I'm applying to reject my writing as well.

But WHAT a way to go!

no, please don't self-immolate :)

Just now, Blackhole said:

awww, you remember the bird man. I think you will make it this time. or the next. I am 41 and I am thinking whether I should try next year. 

"There are always flowers on her grave. That's hope."
- some interviews give you some beautiful sentences. It was a sad story.
A reporter is also an archivist who saves sentences and fragments of memories of others. We are our own libraries of stories with no closure. Just like love. Just like loss. That's why I can't do fiction I suppose. the story was about a young girl killed in a police encounter in 2004. all the accused were discharged. I should just be a reporter and listen to stories. 

I'm close to the same age that's why I was hoping to get in this year. Time seems to be this niggling factor. But I'm very young at heart and don't look/act my age either. I think you try again like there isn't the option not to and call it a gut feeling but I think that is the story that gets you in-written as fiction. 

3 minutes ago, oubukibun said:

But WHAT a way to go!

Well crap. I'm sorry but hang in there. If your writing on here is any indication...don't give up. HUGS and good luck in the future. 

59 minutes ago, Cristie said:

If it makes you feel any better the call telling me that I did not get picked for any funding sucked just a little worse than the rejections. There, I'm just out the application fees...and my pride. Now I'm looking at a future of student loan debt unless a waitlist spot opens up last minute or unless the Big Easy comes through. This has all been very humbling you are right. Hang in there and I swear, write the bird and old man story and sprinkle in some magic. I just have a feeling that one is a winner. 

I'm turning UMKC down (with full funding and a stipend), so maybe they'll come through for you! 

Edited by cecsav

Oh boy, I was sucked into a project so didn’t have email access, but also got the “BU bust” late in the pm. Commiserations to those who got the ‘no’ too. For the life of me I cannot understand why BU did that drip-water torture style of rejection. But happy to have closure. So final tally: 2a/1w/9r.

Anyways, I got a story accepted for a reprint, and some other good stuff been happening, so it helps put all this MFA thing in perspective.

Probs gonna apply again next year. Hope some of the folk here stick around. Just wondering if a new thread MFA 22 has to get started? 

Edited by Boomer not Ok

48 minutes ago, cecsav said:

I'm turning UMKC down (with full funding and a stipend), so maybe they'll come through for you! 

Alas, no. UMKC called last night with the no funding news. I'll likely turn them down. But thanks for hoping. Someone got it for sure. We will see what New Orleans says next. I still have 2 waitlists (praying hard for McNeese) and no word yet from my last school and an MA in English program I also applied to as a back up plan. I have a feeling my age played against me with funding-because I have a source of income-but it's cool. I plan on applying for every scholarship under the sun once I get where I'm going and banking on working hard and impressing for consideration of funding in the second year. Maybe it could happen? Will you move over the summer to be sure to get a place? I'm not quite sure what the best plan is with the whole relocating thing...and man, people are a little creepy on Craigslist ads looking for "female" roommates. Send a pic...lol.

37 minutes ago, Boomer not Ok said:

Oh boy, I was sucked into a project so didn’t have email access, but also got the “BU bust” late in the pm. Commiserations to those who got the ‘no’ too. For the life of me I cannot understand why BU did that drip-water torture style of rejection. But happy to have closure. So final tally: 2a/1w/9r.

Anyways, I got a story accepted for a reprint, and some other good stuff been happening, so it helps put all this MFA thing in perspective.

Probs gonna apply again next year. Hope some of the folk here stick around. Just wondering if a new thread MFA 22 has to get started? 

Hugs, you were my last BU friend in waiting. I'm sorry but great news on the publishing...share a link when you can. I'd love to read. 

22 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Thread for 2022 is up very very early: 

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/129081-2022-applicants-forum/

Yeah, I just took that one down because it was sus as fuck (brand new 1 post account making an app thread?), given the problems we've been having. 

3 minutes ago, dr. telkanuru said:

Yeah, I just took that one down because it was sus as fuck (brand new 1 post account making an app thread?), given the problems we've been having. 

Gotcha. It's a shame that everyone here has to worry about shit like this. I might pop in on next year's thread, but if I don't happen to see your posts in a sea of thousands of posts, I hope next year is easier for you. You've helped us out a lot, thank you.

1 hour ago, Cristie said:

I have a feeling my age played against me with funding

Will you move over the summer to be sure to get a place? 

I thought I was the oldest (or second oldest maybe?) on here. 

I'm looking at apartments now to move down in July. Both of my kids will start college here in MO, so that makes it hard, but ASU offered me moving expenses to get moved out there, so that part's amazing

27 minutes ago, cecsav said:

I'm looking at apartments now to move down in July. Both of my kids will start college here in MO, so that makes it hard, but ASU offered me moving expenses to get moved out there, so that part's amazing

Well that shoots a hole in my theory. Hmm...I just don't know how they decide on who gets funding and who doesn't. Ranking maybe??? I won't lie...so jealous (but in a nice way)...that is really great for you. I'm watching those weird youtube driving around a town tours trying to figure out where I could/want to possibly live. I'm trying to look at it as one big writing adventure. I may need to just go for a weekend and wander around before I try to do it all remotely. No kids in college but I have a pre-teen. She can't get me out of the door fast enough lol. 

2 hours ago, cecsav said:

Nope, I’m probably the oldest. Got two kids in college. Congrats on ASU. Sounds like a great program. We did a fam trip to AZ two summer’s ago (Sedona, Grand C.) and it rocked (bad pun attempt). 

3 hours ago, Ydrl said:

Gotcha. It's a shame that everyone here has to worry about shit like this. I might pop in on next year's thread, but if I don't happen to see your posts in a sea of thousands of posts, I hope next year is easier for you. You've helped us out a lot, thank you.

Dang, Banquo’s ghost haunting the MFA 22 thread already? Oh well, I’ll be looking out for it probably and hope all goes well in NH. 

I am confused! I applied a bit late this year for the MFA fiction concentration (just for five programs, got a denial from university of Houston and U of Florida). Got accepted into Columbia; I've been waitlisted by NYU (yet to hear back). I am not sure if NYU is done with their selection, already. Columbia is damn expensive, NYU is not cheap either. I am an international student so I am not sure if I would qualify for any federal funding. However, if the time spent in the academic setting were to help me to write and improve as a writer I would consider such an option. On the other hand, I feel, I should not take this offer and apply the next year; but would I match into any programs at all, next year? Any advice will be appreciated.

4 hours ago, kbaskar2007 said:

I am confused! I applied a bit late this year for the MFA fiction concentration (just for five programs, got a denial from university of Houston and U of Florida). Got accepted into Columbia; I've been waitlisted by NYU (yet to hear back). I am not sure if NYU is done with their selection, already. Columbia is damn expensive, NYU is not cheap either. I am an international student so I am not sure if I would qualify for any federal funding. However, if the time spent in the academic setting were to help me to write and improve as a writer I would consider such an option. On the other hand, I feel, I should not take this offer and apply the next year; but would I match into any programs at all, next year? Any advice will be appreciated.

I am also considering taking a year off and applying next year. I applied too late. started in December and got one acceptance, which is Columbia. 

Just now, Blackhole said:

I am also considering taking a year off and applying next year. I applied too late. started in December and got one acceptance, which is Columbia. 

maybe defer Columbia?

Don’t take this as a “rain on your parade” type of response, but pretty much every article on MFAs out there says do not pay for the MFA. Especially now when there are more MFA programs than ever and more schools fully funding their students than ever. The only decent exceptions I’ve heard were one from someone who wanted to stay in the city where their partner worked and their kids went to school and another where the person was able to continue working (so that was a low res option, and definitely a good choice if you want the MFA, but want to hold onto your career while you get it).

As much as the troll sucks, I have seen it said in more reputable places from non-trolls that those well known professors at Columbia, as good as they might be, do have favorites (how could anyone not, I mean we all have favorite authors) and that your level of funding is at least a decent indication about how likely you are to be one of those favorites.

Unless you are wealthy enough where the cost will not limit your future options (and a load of debt will typically limit your future options), do not pay for an arts degree when you don’t need the degree to do what you enjoy doing. I believe the MFA will help you improve and will give you that sweet, sweet time to write, but you do need to consider the situation you’ll be in once you are on the other side. Will you be able to keep focusing on your work when you have a mountain of debt (likely forcing you to take a job for the money and not for the passion) and a degree that won’t guarantee you a career? Sorry, that sounds grim, but I just think it would be dreadful to go in, pay a lot, maybe even have a great MFA experience, but then be too consumed with financial worry afterwards to keep writing.

Please don’t take this as discouragement, I want everyone who wants to go to MFA programs to go, but I also don’t want people to come out the other side and end up bitter about it. Because that’s how you breed trolls.

TLDR: Only go to an MFA program if you are fully funded. Consider what your position will be like after the MFA if you have a load of debt. Do what is right for you, but be honest and realistic.

Edited by turtlesfordays

The guy before was a troll because they were being rude and telling people they won't succeed and to give up hope, which I don't think is helpful. (I think most of us know that acceptance rates are low at most schools--between 0.5% and 3%, but that's no reason to give up hope if we believe we have submitted our best work, because every year people do get in and go.)

I'm just saying you should only go to an MFA program if you are fully funded or independently wealthy enough not to go into debilitating debt over tuition fees. (And by debilitating, I mean debt that makes you unable to write after you graduate or otherwise depressed or anxious.) This is advice I've picked up from reading soooo many articles on MFA programs and affording them.

Here's a couple MFA advice articles that might be helpful to clear things up further:

https://www.flavorwire.com/476264/27-writers-on-whether-or-not-to-get-your-mfa

https://www.tiffanyhawk.com/blog/should-i-get-an-mfa

And here's a list of some fully funded MFA programs:

https://readtheworkshop.com/resources/fully-funded-programs/

I would say if Columbia is your dream, then apply. Some students do receive funding, but also spend some time thinking about whether it would still be worth it to you even if you don't receive funding and have to pay tuition prices while paying to live in NYC, one of the most expensive cities in the US. Whether it's a rip off is up to you and your personal financial situation and what you expect to get out of the program. Columbia has famous professors and it is right in the heart of the publishing world, but personally (especially as someone who isn't wild about NYC) I would definitely not be willing to pay to go when some students do receive funding and when there are other programs that are fully funded.

Here's a perspective piece on the price of attending Columbia from an international student:

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2019/07/columbia-costs-mfa/593215/

And to respond to the whole open admission thing, while Columbia does have a significantly higher acceptance rate in comparison to other programs it is not open admission. From what I could find (I used collegelearners.com), in previous years the acceptance rate was around 40%, though this year was probably lower considering how many more people applied everywhere. I couldn't find any concrete information about what percentage of students receive funding or full funding, but if you put some work in and look through the financial aid and scholarship page(s) on the Columbia website you might be able to find that out.

Finally, I would suggest checking out the book MFA vs. NYC (I was able to check it out at my library, didn't even have to buy it) for some more perspectives on the MFA from professors and people who have actually gone to MFA programs unlike most of us here (who have done research, probably a lot, but don't have that sweet, sweet personal experience).