2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

1 minute ago, iai said:

That’s very kind of you! And oh dear ? If I did that, I think my mom would question my sanity, and my grandmother would disown me. They’re still quite traditional-minded so it would be quite the cultural shock! They’d probably stop listening halfway through and walk out of the room to be completely honest ?

Ok, so maybe not them... but writing a romance scene and then putting it out there...somewhere-even have a friend read it. That's how you get over ANY fear because I can't think of anything else that you don't expose yourself so completely (no pun). 

2 minutes ago, iai said:

I’ve been constantly checking ? Seems like my luck with US schools are at 0% this year.

I also obsessively check the schools that I'm waiting on and know there will be nothing in them. I try to only check them once a day...but sometimes I do it almost out of habit when I sit in front of my computer so I lost count ? 

I'm likely to decline my The New School offer so if they do have a waitlist, I hope you're on it and can benefit from it! I truly love the spirit of TNS (I often listen to lectures offered by their Center of Public Scholarship) and my friend who attended the program (fiction) also speaks highly of her experience there. I love the neighborhood. I am turning it down mainly for financial reasons as well as the larger size of the cohort. Wishing you the best! 

10 minutes ago, M-Lin said:

omg so sorry to hear that. lots of fluids and maybe you'll manage some reading as well. I hope you feel better soon! COVID is definitely still around...

and damnit they need to get their shit together. NYU and Columbia (I don't mean to single them out for any other reason) both have such a weird process of notifying the applicants. A call today, another call tomorrow; some e-mails, some portal changes. Like, why? At least NYU only had one person calling. Columbia's process seems even more nebulous. 

not a helpful rant and not my first rant about this... fingers crossed for you! 

Thank you! All the fluids and soup. I miss my appetite and healthy lungs!! I'm a finalist for a screenwriting fellowship and need to finish a show bible for the script by the 2nd and I'm being less than productive. I'm gonna blame the 2 Cs: Covid and Columbia.

The far spread of notifications does seem pretty haphazard and sadistic lol. Good luck and I hope you hear good news this week! Today preferably. 

Just now, CrankyGinger said:

Thank you! All the fluids and soup. I miss my appetite and healthy lungs!! I'm a finalist for a screenwriting fellowship and need to finish a show bible for the script by the 2nd and I'm being less than productive. I'm gonna blame the 2 Cs: Covid and Columbia.

The far spread of notifications does seem pretty haphazard and sadistic lol. Good luck and I hope you hear good news this week! Today preferably. 

That's so exciting. I am also a screenwriter though I've recently lost my passion for it (for many reasons). But I know how crazy the competition is, if not even worse than this application cycle. So congratulations on your almost fellowship! Go get it!!!  

Just now, M-Lin said:

That's so exciting. I am also a screenwriter though I've recently lost my passion for it (for many reasons). But I know how crazy the competition is, if not even worse than this application cycle. So congratulations on your almost fellowship! Go get it!!!  

Thank you! And you're also in NYC! We clearly should've already been friends. 

This application cycle on all writing things has definitely been insane. Who knows, your passion might come back. Either way, you're still writing and that's wonderful.

22 minutes ago, Cristie said:

Ok, so maybe not them... but writing a romance scene and then putting it out there...somewhere-even have a friend read it. That's how you get over ANY fear because I can't think of anything else that you don't expose yourself so completely (no pun). 

I’ll try it! I’d say I’m terrible at writing romantic scenes though.?

22 minutes ago, M-Lin said:

I also obsessively check the schools that I'm waiting on and know there will be nothing in them. I try to only check them once a day...but sometimes I do it almost out of habit when I sit in front of my computer so I lost count ? 

I'm likely to decline my The New School offer so if they do have a waitlist, I hope you're on it and can benefit from it! I truly love the spirit of TNS (I often listen to lectures offered by their Center of Public Scholarship) and my friend who attended the program (fiction) also speaks highly of her experience there. I love the neighborhood. I am turning it down mainly for financial reasons as well as the larger size of the cohort. Wishing you the best! 

Ohh! Where will you be heading? And thanks for the insight! It does sound lovely. Fingers crossed ???

5 minutes ago, caramelcarrottop said:

Shit let's do it guys.  Grab the bull by the horns.  Direct message me with your email address if interested and I'll put together a group in 7 days if you want.  We could meet by zoom. ?✍️?

Can't we just create a new thread here and post work/comment? I don't see why we couldn't...I mean, it's all for the sake of improving and getting accepted into a program. I'm not shy but some folks might be (Zoom). There is something to be said about being anonymous (for some) me..my name is right there... but that's not for everyone when it comes to putting it all out on front street for everyone to see. Thoughts?

We could beckon the Trolls, they'd know. (Y'all might not like them, but they do tend to know things) and I'd throw my work their way just for the brutal truth. 

2 minutes ago, Cristie said:

Can't we just create a new thread here and post work/comment? I don't see why we couldn't...I mean, it's all for the sake of improving and getting accepted into a program. I'm not shy but some folks might be (Zoom). There is something to be said about being anonymous (for some) me..my name is right there... but that's not for everyone when it comes to putting it all out on front street for everyone to see. Thoughts?

We could beckon the Trolls, they'd know. (Y'all might not like them, but they do tend to know things) and I'd throw my work their way just for the brutal truth. 

That works too.  Whatever you guys are most comfortable with.

24 minutes ago, iai said:

Ohh! Where will you be heading? And thanks for the insight! It does sound lovely. Fingers crossed ???

I’m still waiting for a few but very possibly Brooklyn College ?

44 minutes ago, CrankyGinger said:

Thank you! And you're also in NYC! We clearly should've already been friends. 

This application cycle on all writing things has definitely been insane. Who knows, your passion might come back. Either way, you're still writing and that's wonderful.

I submitted to Sundance this year, only made through the second round and not the final round. Their competition has always been insane but perhaps this year was even worse than usual, just like the MFA apps. Welp. 

And yes I’m in New York too. Nice to meet you here!!! Good luck with your show bible (I have not done one of those but they sure look like a LOT of work). 

Just now, M-Lin said:

I submitted to Sundance this year, only made through the second round and not the final round. Their competition has always been insane but perhaps this year was even worse than usual, just like the MFA apps. Welp. 

And yes I’m in New York too. Nice to meet you here!!! Good luck with your show bible (I have not done one of those but they sure look like a LOT of work). 

Getting to the next round is still a huge accomplishment, congrats! 

First show bible for me, too. Lots of googling lol. After this nap I'm gonna get back to it. 

I had a question for the people here. Is there anyone who is in their 40s? Does that sort of affect your chances? I haven't seen too many people in their 40a apply or getting accepted for that matter. It has been bothering me for a while. I did get into Columbia with some scholarship but got five rejections, which makes me think if my writing is really bad or if my age (41) works against me. Maybe my writing sample didn't make the cut. But is it also age?

2 minutes ago, Blackhole said:

I had a question for the people here. Is there anyone who is in their 40s? Does that sort of affect your chances? I haven't seen too many people in their 40a apply or getting accepted for that matter. It has been bothering me for a while. I did get into Columbia with some scholarship but got five rejections, which makes me think if my writing is really bad or if my age (41) works against me. Maybe my writing sample didn't make the cut. But is it also age?

I'm an older applicant too (37) and have been wondering if that might have worked to my detriment.  Obviously no programs would come out and say it, but looking at twitter and Facebook and seeing the much younger applicants being admitted has indeed made me question if I'm "too old" to be admitted to a non-low residency MFA.

3 minutes ago, Blackhole said:

There are at least 3 here... plus you that are older. I "think" we have all been accepted somewhere. So, I don't think age is an issue...I firmly believe we bring some real life experience to the table. I won't give my age but I'm close to that ballpark-but always young at heart. I've worried over this too...but no one is ever going to say too old as a reason. 

3 minutes ago, caramelcarrottop said:

I'm an older applicant too (37) and have been wondering if that might have worked to my detriment.  Obviously no programs would come out and say it, but looking at twitter and Facebook and seeing the much younger applicants being admitted has indeed made me question if I'm "too old" to be admitted to a non-low residency MFA.

I feel the same. I have only been seeing young people getting admitted mostly. 

2 minutes ago, Cristie said:

There are at least 3 here... plus you that are older. I "think" we have all been accepted somewhere. So, I don't think age is an issue...I firmly believe we bring some real life experience to the table. I won't give my age but I'm close to that ballpark-but always young at heart. I've worried over this too...but no one is ever going to say too old as a reason. 

I hope that's not the case. But I got five rejections and it makes me feel very strange. I did get an offer from Columbia with some scholarship but it makes me feel that I am not good enough or too old now.

1 hour ago, M-Lin said:

I, too, wonder what other sadistic schools have not notified other than BU and Columbia ?

I still haven't heard from University of New Mexico. 

51 minutes ago, Cristie said:

Can't we just create a new thread here and post work/comment? I don't see why we couldn't...I mean, it's all for the sake of improving and getting accepted into a program.

Thoughts?

I would be afraid that a public forum like this might count as previously published when it comes to submission rules. Many (if not most) literary journals exclude work that has even been posted to a personal blog or website or to publicly accessible social media pages. 

28 minutes ago, Blackhole said:

I turned 41 Monday! :)

Edited to add: Out of 12 applications, I have received four acceptances and am still waiting to hear from UNM. 

Edited by cecsav
Added details