2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

19 minutes ago, shanbanan said:

Hi all! My Michener application portal switched to "Attention: Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review" as of this morning. Anybody else get this? It's the first movement I've seen on any of my applications so I'm definitely overthinking/over-analyzing over here! My guess is that this is a generic notification that all applicants receive once Michener has made their decisions and sent them over to the Graduate Committee for final processing. But I'm curious nonetheless. Happy Friday, all!  

Hi! I'm not sure this info is helpful, but both my Michener and NWP apps are currently listed the same way. I assume it's generic. I haven't been checking my online portals (trying to stay sane), so I'm not sure when they switched...

2 minutes ago, fishfish24 said:

Hi! I'm not sure this info is helpful, but both my Michener and NWP apps are currently listed the same way. I assume it's generic. I haven't been checking my online portals (trying to stay sane), so I'm not sure when they switched...

That's helpful!  Thank you :) 

27 minutes ago, fishfish24 said:

It might not be generic, mine still says in review.

Is anyone else still in review?

Edited by Ydrl

28 minutes ago, fishfish24 said:

Mine also says forwarded to graduate committee. Not sure that it's meaningful, unless we all three made it in! Which is highly unlikely but would be amazing.

37 minutes ago, Boomer not Ok said:

Has there been any more evidence (anecdotal or other) from rejection letters that this year has seen an abnormal amount of applicants? I know folks were speculating on this...

Florida State and WashU both said in their acceptance letters that they had vastly more applicants compared to usual.

Still waiting on my official rejection from WashU.

Just now, mrvisser said:

Mine also says forwarded to graduate committee. Not sure that it's meaningful, unless we all three made it in! Which is highly unlikely but would be amazing.

There might be a disparity between concentrations? I'm a fiction applicant...

Dark thought: it's also possible they've forwarded all the applicants they've decided to reject to the graduate committee and are still weighing waitlist applicants...

Just now, fishfish24 said:

There might be a disparity between concentrations? I'm a fiction applicant...

Dark thought: it's also possible they've forwarded all the applicants they've decided to reject to the graduate committee and are still weighing waitlist applicants...

Maybe. I'm not going to overthink things yet. I'll just wait until I hear about acceptances and lose my mind afterward.

Just now, rroseselavy said:

short-time lurker, first-time poster. The two messages feel like the same, to me. Mine has the "attention: forwarded to Grad Committee..." up at the top. But the status (bottom right) also says simply: "in review."1292335420_ScreenShot2021-02-12at10_37_12AM.thumb.png.52605b27aacf5a2b8ed26856ee2a1f4f.png

Ohhhhhh makes sense. Whoops

17 hours ago, Boomer not Ok said:

Wondering whether any fellow fiction applicants here submitted any flash pieces? I submitted a couple flash stories in my portfolio and now I think it may have been a mistake. Do programs "frown" on this compressed form of fiction? The only program I've seen that explicitly references flash fiction as acceptable is Brooklyn College, although none say you cannot either. I've been writing flash for a few years and the pieces I submitted had all appeared in decent online and print pubs. But after I submitted all my apps, I read it's bad MFA etiquette to indicate publication credits (is this true?), so now that may be 2 strikes...

Any clarification on this appreciated

I began my portfolio with a flash piece (then two longer pieces) and included my publishing credits so I will be a good case study! One of my publishing credits is actually forthcoming in the lit mag that is based out of a grad program that I applied to, so that will be interestiiiiiinnnngggg. I hate this. 

2 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Update for all the Michener folks, the expected window of time for the Michener decisions from the committee around late February early March.

Ah, okay. Good to have some news. Where did you hear that? Of course my #1 option is going to keep me waiting...

1 hour ago, shanbanan said:

Hi all! My Michener application portal switched to "Attention: Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review" as of this morning. Anybody else get this? It's the first movement I've seen on any of my applications so I'm definitely overthinking/over-analyzing over here! My guess is that this is a generic notification that all applicants receive once Michener has made their decisions and sent them over to the Graduate Committee for final processing. But I'm curious nonetheless. Happy Friday, all!  

My portal says the same, but honestly I think it's been like that for a while? I could be misremembering but I've been checking the portal intermittently since submitting, and both Michener and NWP have the same language on them. 

On 2/10/2021 at 8:41 PM, panglosian said:

My conspiracy theory is that I'm on the waitlist because of the advance email that not a ton of other people got, but they could also be notifying people alphabetically of rejection. Either way I'm fully prepared for either outcome and ready to GET THIS OVER WITH

Hope this helps ❤️

I know most people have already moved on with UMass, so this isn't really news, but I just wanted to say it seems like they are indeed notifying people alphabetically because...I still haven't heard back ?

For anybody who's been through this process before, is this normal? This is my first time and I expected this process to be difficult, but I had no idea schools could space out their decisions like this...

3 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

Ah, okay. Good to have some news. Where did you hear that? Of course my #1 option is going to keep me waiting...

Emailed the program admission guy: Billy Fatzigner. He got back to me within 15 minutes.

Edited by Ydrl

Here's a question: when you receive an email that says something like "An update has been posted to your application, please check the portal" does that pretty much always mean a rejection, or do they actually notify people that they've been accepted that way too? Has anyone received an email like that and logged on to find that they'd been accepted?

Just want to set my expectations accordingly if it always means rejection/waitlist.

Just now, babypoet2k said:

is the results page down for everyone or has gradcafe decided that i've hit refresh one too many times and blocked all my devices? 

looks like it's down (though I definitely feel you on the constant refresh, though..)

1 minute ago, DeepSyntax said:

Here's a question: when you receive an email that says something like "An update has been posted to your application, please check the portal" does that pretty much always mean a rejection, or do they actually notify people that they've been accepted that way too? Has anyone received an email like that and logged on to find that they'd been accepted?

Just want to set my expectations accordingly if it always means rejection/waitlist.

in all my obsessive searches, i seem to vaguely remember people being surprised at being accepted through an app update, but don't quote me on it. a more helpful way to see would be to search for results for the schools you've applied to and see what the general method of communication for each of the outcomes has been. you'll know what to expect that way :)