Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
On 2/10/2021 at 12:14 AM, Pinskadan said:

he's also getting increasingly lazy with all of these new profiles he's creating, huh? I'd sure hate to be someone who thinks being a dick is a personality trait

p sure I called it that this was Marshall's profile within one hour of the profile's creation, gee it's almost like he's so predictable it's boring

Posted
7 hours ago, hyperpoleme24 said:

Hi there!

2021 applicant for an MFA in Screenwriting from UCR. Originally I was also going to apply to UCLA but they are restructuring their program and aren't accepting applications. 

Anyone else apply to UCR? Even if to a different genre, would love to hear from you. 

Hey there! Yes, I applied to UCR's Ph.D. program for Higher Education - Education Policy & Analysis. It looks like UCR's Ph.D. program candidates aren't chosen until early March, but their Master's programs do rollout invitations. So you should be hearing from them soon!

Posted
16 hours ago, DeepSyntax said:

Have been lurking the last week or so, decided to join the fun.

I worked really hard and methodically on my application over the last several months. Before I checked here I didn't realize so much activity happened in February. Based on previous years it seems some of my schools could be providing results as early as next week. Now I'm very anxious.

I am working full time, and actually just got married. I will need to move soon, so my future is partially determined by whether and where I get into any of these schools. In a weird way it will be kind of a relief if I don't get in anywhere so that I can just keep plugging along. And because I need to move on a tight deadline, I will need to make a decision before waitlists get processed - so getting waitlisted is effectively a rejection for me.

Anyhoo nice to be here and hope to engage in further discussion in the coming month. Best of luck to all.

Hi! I'm getting married in 3 weeks, facing a moving deadline, and am also feeling the anxiety. You're definitely not alone! 

Posted
9 hours ago, eternalwhitenights said:

 

Friends, I believe Marshall/gustav has made another appearance. Panglosian, he's been a troll on here popping up under different usernames--pay no mind. Hope you're doing all right, and I hope you got waitlisted, too. Keep us posted. ❤️

Thanks! I knew about this guy but I didn't suspect at first.

Update: my conspiracy theory was wrong, I got denied from UMass this morning! Not upset at all (it was one of the programs I waned the least) but if anyone is looking for a waitlist it seems they went out and nobody has updated with them.

0a/0w/1r/9p

Posted

Guys, I made a friend at Barnes and Noble today. He’s an older poet and he’s so cool. I don’t meet many poets in person, especially these days, so it was refreshing to physically talk to someone who’s so knowledgeable.

Posted
1 hour ago, panglosian said:

Thanks! I knew about this guy but I didn't suspect at first.

Update: my conspiracy theory was wrong, I got denied from UMass this morning! Not upset at all (it was one of the programs I waned the least) but if anyone is looking for a waitlist it seems they went out and nobody has updated with them.

0a/0w/1r/9p

I also got the 2 am email but no decision letter. I’m sure it’s a “thanks for playing but sorry...” Weird system UMass has of rejection where they make you wait a day or two for the official rejection. Bummer. Doesn’t bode well for my other apps. 1 down, 9 to go. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Boomer not Ok said:

I also got the 2 am email but no decision letter. I’m sure it’s a “thanks for playing but sorry...” Weird system UMass has of rejection where they make you wait a day or two for the official rejection. Bummer. Doesn’t bode well for my other apps. 1 down, 9 to go. 

I'm still waiting to hear from FSU and University of Oregon. I'm assuming it's a "shove off into the mist" response as well since other responses and waitlists have gone out. I'd like the closure though. 

Really waiting to hear from Michigan, Cornell, Iowa, and Brown. I know those are long shots, but I'm glad I threw my hat in the ring. The anxiety of waiting to be rejected from those is murder. If I end up on a waitlist and it gets drawn out until April 15, I may lose my mind. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Aaaaaaand Minnesota rejections are up. REJECTED lol.

Aw I'm sorry! I'm still waiting for Ole Miss and WashU to officially put me out of my misery.

Posted
16 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Aaaaaaand Minnesota rejections are up. REJECTED lol.

Yep, me too. First rejection/news this round... I realize Minnesota's intake is much smaller this year, but having been waitlisted last year I was really hoping....

Posted

Hi, everyone! I just discovered this forum this week and was lurking a bit, but the waiting is killing me, so I decided to introduce myself and talk to you lovely folks in case it might help! (You all seem great!)

I've been playing the UMass Amherst waiting game, too, amidst their spread-out notifications...As of yesterday I was "Under Review," and today I'm "Update Pending," with no email yet. I'm not on Draft (requested access but doesn't seem like I'll get it, not totally sure how it works) but it seems like from what y'all said it's game over for this one. I just wish they'd go ahead and reject me so I can let go of my last reckless shred of hope, haha. I'm trying to keep the faith about the rest of my applications, but this will be my first result, and I'm pretty much terrified to say the least.

I'm waiting on Iowa, Brown, UVA, University of Washington (Seattle), and Western Washington University for poetry... I was going to apply to Buffalo's MA with the certificate in innovative writing, too, but they're not accepting admissions this year, sadly. I'm feeling pretty stupid for throwing my hat into so many competitive rings, to say the least, especially because this has basically been my dream since before undergrad.

Best of luck to everyone, and thanks for reading ! : )

 

Posted
3 minutes ago, arden said:

Hi, everyone! I just discovered this forum this week and was lurking a bit, but the waiting is killing me, so I decided to introduce myself and talk to you lovely folks in case it might help! (You all seem great!)

I've been playing the UMass Amherst waiting game, too, amidst their spread-out notifications...As of yesterday I was "Under Review," and today I'm "Update Pending," with no email yet. I'm not on Draft (requested access but doesn't seem like I'll get it, not totally sure how it works) but it seems like from what y'all said it's game over for this one. I just wish they'd go ahead and reject me so I can let go of my last reckless shred of hope, haha. I'm trying to keep the faith about the rest of my applications, but this will be my first result, and I'm pretty much terrified to say the least.

I'm waiting on Iowa, Brown, UVA, University of Washington (Seattle), and Western Washington University for poetry... I was going to apply to Buffalo's MA with the certificate in innovative writing, too, but they're not accepting admissions this year, sadly. I'm feeling pretty stupid for throwing my hat into so many competitive rings, to say the least, especially because this has basically been my dream since before undergrad.

Best of luck to everyone, and thanks for reading ! : )

 

Welcome! Unfortunately, UMass seems to have accepted its people, but you never know! I wouldn't worry about Draft; they always take a few weeks to accept new people.

Are you from the northwest? I did my undergrad at UW, and have spent a lot of time in Bellingham as well, so either would be a great place to do an MFA.

Posted

Do these universities send emails? I don't think I have it in me to log in and check. How does one deal with rejections? Seems like it is going to be a season of rejections. for me. ouch. 

Posted

I realized yesterday that all of this is really just pre-draft discussions. It seems the people who are getting acceptances are getting multiple right now, so a lot of waitlist seats will get freed up once those people make final decisions. A LOT of people are going to wait until the last day to make the call because the pandemic creates so much uncertainty.

The odds are skewed because the same top candidates get selected in multiple programs, meaning a lot of people in the middle ground may get seats once all the dust settles. 

The real deal is April 15. That day's going to be a bumpy ride. 

Posted

Hi all! I've been lurking here for a while as I plan to apply next fall. I write memoir and genre fiction and have been getting into more experimental forms. Is there any data on how competitive the applicant pool has been in recent years?

Fiction writers - does anyone have recs on workshops outside of the MFA?

Posted
Just now, mrvisser said:

Welcome! Unfortunately, UMass seems to have accepted its people, but you never know! I wouldn't worry about Draft; they always take a few weeks to accept new people.

Are you from the northwest? I did my undergrad at UW, and have spent a lot of time in Bellingham as well, so either would be a great place to do an MFA.

Thank you ! I have some family in the northwest and have always wanted to live there; I really love both UW and WWU's programs, and Bellingham in particular has definitely become a part of one of my MFA fantasies for sure. Fingers crossed !

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ydrl said:

Aaaaaaand Minnesota rejections are up. REJECTED lol.

Me too dude, and even thought I was fully anticipating it I still melodramatically stared at the ceiling for like 30 minutes ❤️ hang in there!! 

 

40 minutes ago, arden said:

Hi, everyone! I just discovered this forum this week and was lurking a bit, but the waiting is killing me, so I decided to introduce myself and talk to you lovely folks in case it might help! (You all seem great!)

I've been playing the UMass Amherst waiting game, too, amidst their spread-out notifications...As of yesterday I was "Under Review," and today I'm "Update Pending," with no email yet. I'm not on Draft (requested access but doesn't seem like I'll get it, not totally sure how it works) but it seems like from what y'all said it's game over for this one. I just wish they'd go ahead and reject me so I can let go of my last reckless shred of hope, haha. I'm trying to keep the faith about the rest of my applications, but this will be my first result, and I'm pretty much terrified to say the least.

I'm waiting on Iowa, Brown, UVA, University of Washington (Seattle), and Western Washington University for poetry... I was going to apply to Buffalo's MA with the certificate in innovative writing, too, but they're not accepting admissions this year, sadly. I'm feeling pretty stupid for throwing my hat into so many competitive rings, to say the least, especially because this has basically been my dream since before undergrad.

Best of luck to everyone, and thanks for reading ! : )

 

 

Hi, welcome!! We applied to a lot of similar schools--I'm still waiting on UMass for poetry as well. My status changed to "update pending" this morning, but other than that I've haven't gotten any emails or anything. I was just rejected by Minnesota so I'm kinda hoping UMass will put me out of my misery... I'd like to compartmentalize this icky feeling within the confines of today lmao. 

Anyway, best of luck to everyone ❤️ do something nice for yourself today 

*Edited for typo

Edited by teasel
Posted
7 hours ago, DrMutt said:

Hey there! Yes, I applied to UCR's Ph.D. program for Higher Education - Education Policy & Analysis. It looks like UCR's Ph.D. program candidates aren't chosen until early March, but their Master's programs do rollout invitations. So you should be hearing from them soon!

I see. Good to know! Best of luck in your program!

Posted
2 hours ago, JPReinhold said:

I'm still waiting to hear from FSU and University of Oregon. I'm assuming it's a "shove off into the mist" response as well since other responses and waitlists have gone out. I'd like the closure though. 

Really waiting to hear from Michigan, Cornell, Iowa, and Brown. I know those are long shots, but I'm glad I threw my hat in the ring. The anxiety of waiting to be rejected from those is murder. If I end up on a waitlist and it gets drawn out until April 15, I may lose my mind. 

Posted

Does anyone have any idea when Columbia might be sending out responses? Their deadline is later than others, but it’s also a bigger program than most. Otherwise I’m still waiting to hear from Brooklyn College, Michigan, NYU, Syracuse and Brown. 

Posted

Ole Miss finally updated their site to say that they are done with their phase 2 notifications. So now I can officially say: 0a/0w/1r/6p.

Of course, that 1 is about to become a 2 once WashU gets around to sending their rejections.

Posted

Wondering whether any fellow fiction applicants here submitted any flash pieces? I submitted a couple flash stories in my portfolio and now I think it may have been a mistake. Do programs "frown" on this compressed form of fiction? The only program I've seen that explicitly references flash fiction as acceptable is Brooklyn College, although none say you cannot either. I've been writing flash for a few years and the pieces I submitted had all appeared in decent online and print pubs. But after I submitted all my apps, I read it's bad MFA etiquette to indicate publication credits (is this true?), so now that may be 2 strikes...

Any clarification on this appreciated

Posted
14 minutes ago, Boomer not Ok said:

Wondering whether any fellow fiction applicants here submitted any flash pieces? I submitted a couple flash stories in my portfolio and now I think it may have been a mistake. Do programs "frown" on this compressed form of fiction? The only program I've seen that explicitly references flash fiction as acceptable is Brooklyn College, although none say you cannot either. I've been writing flash for a few years and the pieces I submitted had all appeared in decent online and print pubs. But after I submitted all my apps, I read it's bad MFA etiquette to indicate publication credits (is this true?), so now that may be 2 strikes...

Any clarification on this appreciated

There are no hard and fast rules for portfolios. If you flash pieces are strong, it's better to include those than a short story you feel less confident about. Not to mention that flash fiction is read and taught in MFA programs.

As for the publishing credits, I've never heard that it's "bad etiquette" to include them. Honestly, that sounds silly to me. I've also read at least a couple program websites that state you should include credits on your CV.

Posted
15 minutes ago, Boomer not Ok said:

Wondering whether any fellow fiction applicants here submitted any flash pieces? I submitted a couple flash stories in my portfolio and now I think it may have been a mistake. Do programs "frown" on this compressed form of fiction? The only program I've seen that explicitly references flash fiction as acceptable is Brooklyn College, although none say you cannot either. I've been writing flash for a few years and the pieces I submitted had all appeared in decent online and print pubs. But after I submitted all my apps, I read it's bad MFA etiquette to indicate publication credits (is this true?), so now that may be 2 strikes...

Any clarification on this appreciated

The only school I saw mention flash explicitly was Boston University. They recommended submitting stories longer than 10 pages. But they also said brilliance is brilliance. 

Posted
1 hour ago, mrvisser said:

Ole Miss finally updated their site to say that they are done with their phase 2 notifications. So now I can officially say: 0a/0w/1r/6p.

Of course, that 1 is about to become a 2 once WashU gets around to sending their rejections.

I’m sorry dude.

And WashU rejections should come out sometime tomorrow (unless the virus messes things up once again), so be prepared.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use