MSW.K

Is anyone considering the Columbia online program? I'm having a very difficult time choosing between University of Pittsburgh in-person 2 yr MSW program and Columbia University 2 yr online MSW program. I really don't want to move out to the other side of PA, and if Pittsburgh were closer it'd be a much easier decision, especially given Columbia's tuition costs. However, I really don't want to wait another 2 years to move into a more permanent home in the surrounding Philadelphia area, which is another reason the online Columbia program is appealing to me. 

Does anyone have any advice or insight that might help my decision process? 

Wish everyone the best of luck on their journey!!

1 hour ago, peachy4345 said:

Not trying to be a downer, but something to consider if anyone is thinking about Columbia:

Among your choices, you should also consider which programs have a grad worker union AND treat grad students right. I am a current 2nd year PhD student at Columbia. The majority of grad students are currently on strike for a living wage, better healthcare, and protection from harassment and discrimination. I have been watching the process of our new graduate union try to bargain for our first contract for over two years. In these sessions, I have seen admin (and their sleazy lawyer, who charges $1,500/hr) do everything possible to stall negotiations, belittle us, and play down heartfelt testimonials that make clear why our demands are reasonable and necessary. Every time we've gotten a raise in the past, our Columbia rent magically goes up by a higher percentage. Our wages are not enough to live in NYC. There is no dental or vision coverage, and they recently removed the better health insurance plan option. The school has a terrible history with harassment and discrimination cases brought by both undergrads and grads (Google it), and at the moment they are doing everything possible to avoid meeting our contract demand about changing the investigation process to give more rights to the complainant (see link below). It's also worth noting that in the School of Social Work, workers were traditionally paid less than workers in other schools--our contract is currently trying to bring all grad workers to the same MA and PhD wage level across schools.

We're entering the 3rd week of the strike, and Columbia has made very clear that they plan to not only doc our bi-weekly pay (which we receive for TA/RA work), but our academic stipends--yep, they are going to debit our student accounts, thereby jeopardizing course registration, degree progress, visas, and health insurance. We have a legal right to strike, but this later action constitutes illegal academic retaliation.

Long story short: I'm sure a lot of schools are as corrupt as Columbia, but I've just seen first hand how rotten this place is to the core. They only care about profit (their endowment grew $300 million during the pandemic alone), squeezing as much our of grad workers and adjuncts for as little pay as possible, sweeping bad press under the rug, and gentrifying Harlem with multi-million dollar campus expansions.

I encourage folks thinking about attending/applying to Columbia to express concerns to department chairs and administrators, and ask them why they insist on denying grad workers a fair contract: 

https://gothamist.com/news/columbia-grad-students-strike-over-wages-and-harassment-policies-nyu-counterparts-vote-similar-actions

Sorry to hear what you all all going through at Columbia. Higher education shouldn’t be so political. Allow individuals to make a living wage while they learn. A satisfied customer will always return. When you have 300 million you can pay lawyers and consultants to get rid of bad press. So sad to see especially in the social work field. We (sw community) should be setting an example. Hope things improve. Wish y’all the best. 

3 hours ago, mswapplicant7 said:

Hi! I didn't apply to USC but was admitted to Penn a few weeks ago. I'm pretty torn, but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Penn. I've spoken to several students who aren't happy with their decision to enroll at Penn, especially considering the cost of tuition.

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on their program and if you are willing to share, the mixed reviews you've heard from students? Thanks so much!

1 hour ago, anothermsw said:

Hey there- would you be open to sharing more about what you've heard? Could use a bit of insight about the downfalls of Penn. Thank so much!

Sure -- I've heard from several students that they've been disappointed with how field placements/related advising is handled, and that the program isn't totally clear about how the process works. I also heard concerns that the course offerings published online aren't necessarily consistent with what's actually being offered, and students were disappointed to miss out on opportunities that they were excited about. I'd definitely recommend trying to connect with a current student. My interviewer had great things to say, but she attended years ago.

Hello everybody! I searched the forum and I have not found anybody applying to University of Denver. Has anyone heard back about (applying January deadline)? And also: Any admission decisions from Texas State or any clue when they are going to be in? I am also wondering why I have not heard anything from U Chicago. I applied for the January deadline. Has anyone a similar experience? Thank you & good luck to all of you!

Hello everybody! Congrats on your acceptances. I am still waiting to hear back from Columbia, and I applied early January. Are there certain days of the week that Columbia tends to send out their letters of admission? I know a lot of people have heard back on Fridays. It's been 8 weeks since I received my email of application completion, and I am starting to get a bit worried. Let me know if anybody has a bit more information of the matter!! Thanks so much☺️

15 hours ago, msw.LS said:

Hello everybody! Congrats on your acceptances. I am still waiting to hear back from Columbia, and I applied early January. Are there certain days of the week that Columbia tends to send out their letters of admission? I know a lot of people have heard back on Fridays. It's been 8 weeks since I received my email of application completion, and I am starting to get a bit worried. Let me know if anybody has a bit more information of the matter!! Thanks so much☺️

Would also love to know this. Very anxious

I just received an acceptance from University of Maryland this morning!!! I'm still in disbelief as my last LOR was approved on 3/12! It was the only program I applied to and I'm going to accept - thanks to everyone here for your support and info sharing throughout this process! Only yesterday I was feeling regretful that I applied so close to the deadline. Don't lose hope!!

1 hour ago, monavocado said:

I just received an acceptance from University of Maryland this morning!!! I'm still in disbelief as my last LOR was approved on 3/12! It was the only program I applied to and I'm going to accept - thanks to everyone here for your support and info sharing throughout this process! Only yesterday I was feeling regretful that I applied so close to the deadline. Don't lose hope!!

Congratulations!  Enjoy!  Did it say when you had to accept by?

8 minutes ago, monavocado said:

Thank you! The letter said 3 weeks

That's awesome that you got in!  Enjoy and relax that you have a place for next year!

I got an email last week saying my application was being reviewed.  Odd-- no one who has gotten accepted has mentioned they received that, but I'm trying to hold out hope.  Not much, I'm afraid, as my last LOR uploaded in January.  Oh well, figers crossed, as it is the only school I applied to as well. 

4 minutes ago, mdsw said:

That's awesome that you got in!  Enjoy and relax that you have a place for next year!

I got an email last week saying my application was being reviewed.  Odd-- no one who has gotten accepted has mentioned they received that, but I'm trying to hold out hope.  Not much, I'm afraid, as my last LOR uploaded in January.  Oh well, figers crossed, as it is the only school I applied to as well. 

Thanks for your kind words! I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I applied for the Rockville campus. Maybe they're reviewing Baltimore applicants separately? Fingers crossed for you.

On 3/29/2021 at 5:43 PM, msw.LS said:

I'm in the same boat. I applied Dec 10. I reached out a few weeks ago, and they said I should expect to hear back within 2 weeks, which came and went. Frustrating, as I've asked for multiple extensions from other programs. 

38 minutes ago, lil_lil said:

I'm in the same boat. I applied Dec 10. I reached out a few weeks ago, and they said I should expect to hear back within 2 weeks, which came and went. Frustrating, as I've asked for multiple extensions from other programs. 

I am hoping we hear back before/ or on, Friday. I already had to put in a deposit for another school just in case 

54 minutes ago, msw.LS said:

I am hoping we hear back before/ or on, Friday. I already had to put in a deposit for another school just in case 

I'm hoping the same! i'm also going to be putting a deposit for another school on thursday because they gave me a final extension

11 hours ago, MSW_2021 said:

Has anyone here committed to NYU?

Hello hello,

I committed to NYU a couple of weeks back (although I'm still waiting on Columbia, even tho recent posts above make me think that they're response wouldn't be worth it in the least bit). Anything specific you were hoping someone who committed would have insight on?

On 3/26/2021 at 4:33 PM, Minhessica said:

I wonder why Columbia has been taking so long and it seems like a pattern (from other past forums). If they know other schools honor the deadline they say why would they wait so long to release decisions? It’s a 50/50 chance students will pick Columbia over another great MSW program especially bc other schools give extensions as well.  

It's quite honestly ridiculous. I don't know about other schools but NYU gave me a response 3 weeks after my application was submitted, and Columbia's here not responding to people after a whole 8 weeks. It really does make you pause and question whether a school this disorganized can provide a comfortable place to study. 

On 3/29/2021 at 11:26 AM, peachy4345 said:

Not trying to be a downer, but something to consider if anyone is thinking about Columbia:

Among your choices, you should also consider which programs have a grad worker union AND treat grad students right. I am a current 2nd year PhD student at Columbia. The majority of grad students are currently on strike for a living wage, better healthcare, and protection from harassment and discrimination. I have been watching the process of our new graduate union try to bargain for our first contract for over two years. In these sessions, I have seen admin (and their sleazy lawyer, who charges $1,500/hr) do everything possible to stall negotiations, belittle us, and play down heartfelt testimonials that make clear why our demands are reasonable and necessary. Every time we've gotten a raise in the past, our Columbia rent magically goes up by a higher percentage. Our wages are not enough to live in NYC. There is no dental or vision coverage, and they recently removed the better health insurance plan option. The school has a terrible history with harassment and discrimination cases brought by both undergrads and grads (Google it), and at the moment they are doing everything possible to avoid meeting our contract demand about changing the investigation process to give more rights to the complainant (see link below). It's also worth noting that in the School of Social Work, workers were traditionally paid less than workers in other schools--our contract is currently trying to bring all grad workers to the same MA and PhD wage level across schools.

We're entering the 3rd week of the strike, and Columbia has made very clear that they plan to not only doc our bi-weekly pay (which we receive for TA/RA work), but our academic stipends--yep, they are going to debit our student accounts, thereby jeopardizing course registration, degree progress, visas, and health insurance. We have a legal right to strike, but this later action constitutes illegal academic retaliation.

Long story short: I'm sure a lot of schools are as corrupt as Columbia, but I've just seen first hand how rotten this place is to the core. They only care about profit (their endowment grew $300 million during the pandemic alone), squeezing as much our of grad workers and adjuncts for as little pay as possible, sweeping bad press under the rug, and gentrifying Harlem with multi-million dollar campus expansions.

I encourage folks thinking about attending/applying to Columbia to express concerns to department chairs and administrators, and ask them why they insist on denying grad workers a fair contract: 

https://gothamist.com/news/columbia-grad-students-strike-over-wages-and-harassment-policies-nyu-counterparts-vote-similar-actions

Hey, hey,

Thank you so much for sharing this; it is disappointing and a downer but it's not your response, but rather the situation, that is. I'm really sorry for all you all are being put through, and I commend you highly for being part of the fight forward (because sitting back is easier and a totally valid choice to ease the mindset). 

I was wondering - would you know how NYU specifically compares to Columbia in that regard? No one has been as direct about Columbia (and I'm very grateful), I'm wondering if you knew anything about NYU. 

1 hour ago, Ward said:

Hey, hey,

Thank you so much for sharing this; it is disappointing and a downer but it's not your response, but rather the situation, that is. I'm really sorry for all you all are being put through, and I commend you highly for being part of the fight forward (because sitting back is easier and a totally valid choice to ease the mindset). 

I was wondering - would you know how NYU specifically compares to Columbia in that regard? No one has been as direct about Columbia (and I'm very grateful), I'm wondering if you knew anything about NYU. 

I didn't apply to Columbia but it seems the majority of people in this thread did, so thank you for sharing. I think it is interesting that they have been taking so long to give people their decisions, too...