MSW.K

I didn't get a solid answer from the assistant dean for admissions and financial aid at UIC for SW. She told me "the waitlist can be used till August and we will work with the waitlist if someone withdraws or defers." Guess I gotta wait and see. 

On 4/6/2021 at 6:51 PM, genericmswname said:

I'd like to second this question! 

Has anyone been successful in appealing for more aid? And by how much? 

There's a huge gap in what I've been offered from different schools (15k+ gap) and I'm wondering how realistic it is to ask schools to increase aid by such a large amount! Does anyone know if that's something schools do or have done in the past? 

Thanks so much. You guys are the best. 

I sent a typical aid email (explaining expenses, etc.) and was sent a form to complete. Form said they do a limited reconsideration for Merit and at most would increase 2-5k. They don't go based on what other schools offer and don't look at financial need for the appeal. Planning to fill out the form, which also says they take up to three weeks to respond with their decision.

Just now, lichen_ said:

I sent a typical aid email (explaining expenses, etc.) and was sent a form to complete. Form said they do a limited reconsideration for Merit and at most would increase 2-5k. They don't go based on what other schools offer and don't look at financial need for the appeal. Planning to fill out the form, which also says they take up to three weeks to respond with their decision.

Wow I'm glad I saw this so quickly, thank you for such a detailed response! 

Was this for UChicago? I looked through a few older posts this morning and noticed most increases were 5k. Very worrying as I'd need maybe 10k, I feel, to justify attending! Ah things are expensive. 

Thank you again. 

On 4/7/2021 at 7:17 PM, SWStudent2 said:

Hi! Yes they gave me 5k more but still was not enough to make it an affordable option for me. The person I spoke to was very nice and very honest and even shared why my competing offer/program might be a better fit for me. I would definitely recommend negotiating and submitting any and all documentation they ask for. I know other schools ask for competing offers from other schools so its surprising WashU does not ask for those! Good luck!!! 

Hi there. Thanks so much for that info! It was a bit surprising to me, too, that they do not negotiate FA (it is stated specifically on the FA form). If there is anyone who cna speak to that about WUSTL, please reach out! Thanks again and good luck to you too :)

1 hour ago, genericmswname said:

Was this for UChicago? I looked through a few older posts this morning and noticed most increases were 5k. Very worrying as I'd need maybe 10k, I feel, to justify attending! Ah things are expensive. 

Thank you again. 

Hi! I requested additional funding from UChicago and received an offer of 5k per year (all together 10k) - from my internet research, it does seem like this is the most they tend to give out.

Good luck making a decision!

3 hours ago, genericmswname said:

Thank you again. 

My post was about WashU!

43 minutes ago, msw.LS said:

This is probably a random, unimportant question but for anybody that got accepted to Columbia— when you opened the status update, did you immediately see graffiti? I want to prepare myself for a whatever I open...

From what people are posting online it's a video but that might only be for undergraduates that get the video. 

1 hour ago, msw.LS said:

This is probably a random, unimportant question but for anybody that got accepted to Columbia— when you opened the status update, did you immediately see graffiti? I want to prepare myself for a whatever I open...

hahaha graffiti... do you mean confetti? Mine just opened up to an email. I know NYU had confetti tho. 

3 minutes ago, msw.LS said:

Oh my... yes, confetti not graffiti. And okay thank you! 

Wishing you the best of luck! Did you apply other places as well?

On 4/7/2021 at 1:01 PM, cccrsn22 said:

Has anyone who applied to Columbia in Feb (regular deadline) heard from them in terms of a timeline? I know that their email from months ago said up to 8 weeks, but I may reach out to them if I don't hear by the end of week since I have deposit extensions and would like a more specific date. 

I applied to CSSW at the regular deadline in Feb but still haven't heard anything. When I called a couple of weeks ago, they told me the same thing -- 8 weeks after the deadline. I'm trying to stay patient until Monday or Tuesday, but waiting is SO HARD! 

17 hours ago, msw.LS said:

Thanks so much! Yes, I applied to NYU as well and heard back with an acceptance late January. How about you? 

I applied to 10 which is WAYYY too many. (I think they are all in my signature line)

But I just accepted my spot to Columbia yesterday!

9 minutes ago, msw.LS said:

Did anybody hear back from Columbia today... wondering if they send the admission letter later than 6 pm:/ This waiting game is rough. 

I haven't.  I submitted 2/15 and everything was verified 2/17.  They said 8 weeks but I feel like it'll be closer to 10. 

2 minutes ago, ShinyLapras said:

I haven't.  I submitted 2/15 and everything was verified 2/17.  They said 8 weeks but I feel like it'll be closer to 10. 

They send me an email saying my application was complete Jan 26. I still haven’t heard back so I wonder what that means. I hope you hear back soon btw! Fingers crossed. 

1 hour ago, msw.LS said:

They send me an email saying my application was complete Jan 26. I still haven’t heard back so I wonder what that means. I hope you hear back soon btw! Fingers crossed. 

Thanks! I think i saw a post by someone who applied 1/18 just got their acceptance this week.  I'm sure you'll be hearing back soon, good luck!

Hi! I just accepted my admission to Michigan's MSW program in IP Integrated Health, Mental Health and Substance Abuse starting Fall '21. Looking for friends or a group to join to discuss and share studying tips! If there is a groupme or facebook group please lmk! Thank you :)

12 hours ago, Hannah72 said:

This is kind of specific but is anyone else having issues signing in to view their financial aid offer from Portland State University (PSU)? If so, has anyone found a solution?

Yes! It's because you signed up with your personal email apparently. I did the same thing and still don't understand what exactly I did but I called tech support (503-725-4357) and they walked me through it. They said it happens all the time ? Do you find their website to be confusing/not very helpful?  I do. I also reached out to an msw advisor and he rudely told me I had to be patient which I thought was interesting considering they only give two weeks to accept offers. I'm wondering if this isnt indicative of the type of services/support PSU will offer?

On 4/10/2021 at 10:54 AM, marygiselle_ said:

Hi! I just accepted my admission to Michigan's MSW program in IP Integrated Health, Mental Health and Substance Abuse starting Fall '21. Looking for friends or a group to join to discuss and share studying tips! If there is a groupme or facebook group please lmk! Thank you :)

Hi! I was recently offered admission to Michigan's MSW program for Fall 2021, but I haven't committed yet. Would you be willing to talk a bit about why you chose Michigan? Thanks & congrats! :)