MSW.K

1 hour ago, Minhessica said:

I wonder why people didn’t post their stats here like other years. That’s so interesting to me.

Yeah I thought that was strange too. Honestly it was reading about a lot of people that had what I thought many of these big name schools considered substandard GPAs getting accepted that led me to apply. I would have felt completing these applications with my stats was a total waste of time. Now I'm sitting on acceptances to BC, and NYU and hoping that Columbia will get back to me with good news. If you told me that these are the offers I would have been looking at last year I would've laughed.

2 hours ago, Mswsam said:

Wow that’s amazing! Did you decide to officially attend UChicago? 

Thank you so much! I’m actually still deciding but I’m leaning towards Columbia - I submitted an appeal to see if they can match Chicago’s offer! Fingers crossed.

Hey everyone. So I've been accepted to NYU and Hunter, and my decision is due to both tomorrow (4/15). I'm leaning toward Hunter because of the cost difference (going to NYU will be just about double the price of Hunter in my case) but for some reason I'm still kind of on the fence. Does anyone have any advice? For context, I'll be on a clinical track, and my goals are to become a LCSW and go into group or private practice as a therapist, or maybe take a clinical position at a hospital - I have no interest in macro work. Is there actually any reason to pay twice the price to go to NYU, or am I just being swayed by their good marketing and recruitment efforts? Thanks for the help!

4 hours ago, William Prince said:

Congratulations!!!! I applied on the deadline Feb. 15 and confirmation was Feb 24. Hopefully I will hear from them soon!

I also got my confirmation Feb 24. I hope we hear from them before the 22nd, that's my deposit extension for Penn

Does anyone have any opinions about Penn? I've already accepted and put down a deposit for another school, Smith, that I'm happy about and who has given me a really generous fin aid package. However, there's just always a part of me that wonders if I'm making the 'right' decision - I'm having a hard time not second guessing myself. Penn sounds like it has a strong program (I would go the clinical route but have interest in eventually going into macro later down the line) and has a really high name recognition (it's an ivy and ranked #10 - but how important is this in the field of MSW?) but it's astronomically expensive. I would be taking out a massive amount of loans. My deadline for Penn is tomorrow and I'm just giving it one more final thought before officially declining the offer. Does anyone have strong opinions about Penn who would care to share whether they think the cost of Penn is worth it?  

Edited by riseNshine

10 minutes ago, riseNshine said:

Does anyone have any opinions about Penn? I've already accepted and put down a deposit for another school, Smith, that I'm happy about and who has given me a really generous fin aid package. However, there's just always a part of me that wonders if I'm making the 'right' decision - I'm having a hard time not second guessing myself. Penn sounds like it has a strong program (I would go the clinical route but have interest in eventually going into macro later down the line) and has a really high name recognition (it's an ivy and ranked #10 - but how important is this in the field of MSW?) but it's astronomically expensive. I would be taking out a massive amount of loans. My deadline for Penn is tomorrow and I'm just giving it one more final thought before officially declining the offer. Does anyone have strong opinions about Penn who would care to share whether they think the cost of Penn is worth it?  

Obviously I haven't been too either program since I'm applying to MSW programs as well. Regarding Smith it has a really nice campus in one of my favorite towns in Massachusetts. It may not be an Ivy, but being one of the Seven Sisters it does have affiliation with them and is essentially part of the female Ivy league so there is quite a bit of prestige IMO. It also has some famous and historical alumni. I attended one of their info sessions and got positive vibes from it as well. I withdrew my application only because I received an offer from NYU and was more interested in moving to NYC. I really don't think you can go wrong with Smith, but idk what Penn really offers other than being in Philadelphia, being an Ivy, and probably also having an excellent program. Of course Penn is far more expensive too. Good luck its so hard to chose especially when all your choices are great.

3 hours ago, veroverovero said:

Hey everyone. So I've been accepted to NYU and Hunter, and my decision is due to both tomorrow (4/15). I'm leaning toward Hunter because of the cost difference (going to NYU will be just about double the price of Hunter in my case) but for some reason I'm still kind of on the fence. Does anyone have any advice? For context, I'll be on a clinical track, and my goals are to become a LCSW and go into group or private practice as a therapist, or maybe take a clinical position at a hospital - I have no interest in macro work. Is there actually any reason to pay twice the price to go to NYU, or am I just being swayed by their good marketing and recruitment efforts? Thanks for the help!

You should look at the course catalogs of both schools to see what you’re interests are in the present! both schools are great depending on what you want for your future self. NYU is also a bragging rights name if someone ever asks. We all end up as social workers anyway. 

7 hours ago, FearedEffect said:

Obviously I haven't been too either program since I'm applying to MSW programs as well. Regarding Smith it has a really nice campus in one of my favorite towns in Massachusetts. It may not be an Ivy, but being one of the Seven Sisters it does have affiliation with them and is essentially part of the female Ivy league so there is quite a bit of prestige IMO. It also has some famous and historical alumni. I attended one of their info sessions and got positive vibes from it as well. I withdrew my application only because I received an offer from NYU and was more interested in moving to NYC. I really don't think you can go wrong with Smith, but idk what Penn really offers other than being in Philadelphia, being an Ivy, and probably also having an excellent program. Of course Penn is far more expensive too. Good luck its so hard to chose especially when all your choices are great.

Thank you for your input and response! It's really helpful for me to hear other people's thoughts when mine can feel so cloudy at times especially when making a decision that feels so big. I'm glad to hear you got good vibes from Smith - that's validating for me to hear. I also had similar thoughts about Penn - it's a really great program, but I'm having a hard time identifying what specifically they offer that would justify the amount of tuition/loans I would have to take out compared to another strong program with a great reputation, like Smith, which I also really like, and that's offering better fin aid. I think I'm finding myself getting caught up in rankings and the ivy league status, which I'm also reading in previous posts and forums that may or may not have the same value/impact in the MSW working world compared to other fields like an MBA. Again, thank you for sharing your two cents with me! Congrats to you on your acceptance to NYU and good luck to you! :) 

As I wait on Columbia, I'm struggling between Penn and NYU. I want to work clinically which both are great for, and I know they are both great programs with similar rankings (Penn being slightly higher). I would prefer to be in NYC over Philly but am drawn to Penn of course because it's an Ivy and very well respected. Is grad school all about location? Any thoughts on this? (Cost is same for me)

Edited by cccrsn22

5 hours ago, cccrsn22 said:

As I wait on Columbia, I'm struggling between Penn and NYU. I want to work clinically which both are great for, and I know they are both great programs with similar rankings (Penn being slightly higher). I would prefer to be in NYC over Philly but am drawn to Penn of course because it's an Ivy and very well respected. Is grad school all about location? Any thoughts on this? (Cost is same for me)

You are in a position where you can't make the wrong choice for your education quality. You have the luxury of choosing from a plethora of elite institutions. I would decide based on the quality of life, cost of attendance, aid, housing options (price/safety), and going with your gut. Please do not get lost in the clouds for it being IVY because all your options are incredible. Regardless, congratulations on your hard work paying off! 

11 hours ago, riseNshine said:

Thank you for your input and response! It's really helpful for me to hear other people's thoughts when mine can feel so cloudy at times especially when making a decision that feels so big. I'm glad to hear you got good vibes from Smith - that's validating for me to hear. I also had similar thoughts about Penn - it's a really great program, but I'm having a hard time identifying what specifically they offer that would justify the amount of tuition/loans I would have to take out compared to another strong program with a great reputation, like Smith, which I also really like, and that's offering better fin aid. I think I'm finding myself getting caught up in rankings and the ivy league status, which I'm also reading in previous posts and forums that may or may not have the same value/impact in the MSW working world compared to other fields like an MBA. Again, thank you for sharing your two cents with me! Congrats to you on your acceptance to NYU and good luck to you! :) 

This such a small point, but: 

I ultimately didn't go with Penn because the first year core curriculum seems almost entirely planned out. I'm also interested in both clinical and macro positions and found that I wouldn't be able to take many specific electives (geared towards both tracks) if my entire first year was decided for me! 

I'm sure that structure/schedule works for some, but it just wasn't for me. I also got the sense from some students that the program wasn't particularly rigorous or anything (though granted these students were on zoom!) - which is something I'm drawn towards. 

I'm sure Penn is awesome, the school has incredibly supportive vibes and the students seem wonderful. But it's up to you to look into either program and find what makes or breaks it for you! 

Good luck with your decisions guys! 

On 3/17/2021 at 1:27 PM, bananamuffin said:

The slots are full for me too, however I did not get the email saying the first email is a mistake. I also sent them an email about not being able to sign up. We are in the same boat!

Did you ever hear back from them? I'm also in the same boat but haven't gotten a reply!

21 hours ago, riseNshine said:

I have heard from current students that their biggest complaint is that it doesn't feel worth the money. I have heard from social workers in the area that they feel Penn does not prepare their MSW students as well as other Philly-area schools (namely Bryn Mawr). This being said, my alumni interviewer had nothing but good things to say about her experience (though it was about 12 years ago). I am also debating accepting my offer from Penn, and have put down a deposit at BU already, but what I'm hearing from current students is definitely making me hesitate.

1 hour ago, genericmswname said:

This such a small point, but: 

I ultimately didn't go with Penn because the first year core curriculum seems almost entirely planned out. I'm also interested in both clinical and macro positions and found that I wouldn't be able to take many specific electives (geared towards both tracks) if my entire first year was decided for me! 

I'm sure that structure/schedule works for some, but it just wasn't for me. I also got the sense from some students that the program wasn't particularly rigorous or anything (though granted these students were on zoom!) - which is something I'm drawn towards. 

I'm sure Penn is awesome, the school has incredibly supportive vibes and the students seem wonderful. But it's up to you to look into either program and find what makes or breaks it for you! 

Good luck with your decisions guys! 

This is a good point to consider. I also have an interest in both micro and macro and even though I would choose the clinical track, I would like to have an opportunity to take some macro electives/classes. It looks like the program allows 5 electives (and one of those electives is a pre-determined clinical class if you choose the clinical track). But the website also mentions that if you want your licensure (which I do), just taking the required clinical courses may not be enough to qualify you for licensure, which would mean I would have to use my electives for more clinical classes. I'm not quite sure how that exactly  compares to other programs as it's a little confusing trying to get class info/schedule on each program's website, but it does seem like there may be other programs, including Smith, that allow more flexibility with taking more electives in both tracks. Again, it's hard to gauge. Thanks for your input and good luck to you too! :)

Edited by riseNshine

27 minutes ago, mswapplicant7 said:

I have heard from current students that their biggest complaint is that it doesn't feel worth the money. I have heard from social workers in the area that they feel Penn does not prepare their MSW students as well as other Philly-area schools (namely Bryn Mawr). This being said, my alumni interviewer had nothing but good things to say about her experience (though it was about 12 years ago). I am also debating accepting my offer from Penn, and have put down a deposit at BU already, but what I'm hearing from current students is definitely making me hesitate.

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews too along with the positive ones, enough to give me pause. It does make one wonder what the ranking process entails since Penn is ranked #10. I actually just got off the phone with a current Penn student who is finishing up her 1st year. Overall, she's enjoying her experience there (classes, professors, and field) but also said the cost/loans is something she continually thinks about as she's completing her degree. However, her other school choices were around the same ballpark in terms of cost so she doesn't regret her choice. She did mention that she may not have chosen Penn if she was offered a different program that allowed her to take 0 or significantly less loans. Basically, it sounded like she thought Penn is a great program but suggested that if you were offered a significantly better fin aid package from an equally strong program, that there wasn't anything at Penn that was really worth taking out approx. $70-100k in loans. 

Edited by riseNshine

Just now, riseNshine said:

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews too along with the positive ones. It does make one wonder what the ranking process entails since Penn is ranked #10. I actually just got off the phone with a current Penn student who is finishing up her 1st year. Overall, she's enjoying her experience there (classes, professors, and field) but also said the cost/loans is something she continually thinks about as she's completing her degree. However, her other school choices were around the same ballpark in terms of cost so she doesn't regret her choice. She did mention that she may not have chosen Penn if she was offered a different program that allowed her to take 0 or significantly less loans. Basically, it sounded like she thought Penn is a great program but suggested that if you were offered a significantly better fin aid package from an equally strong program, that there wasn't anything at Penn that was really worth taking out approx. $70-100k in loans. 

That's pretty consistent with what I've heard. I think there's a lot that goes into the ranking - and frankly, I think that the fact that it's an Ivy brings them up in the rankings. The students I've spoken with have said to do whatever makes most financial sense, especially if the other schools I'm considering are well regarded (which Smith definitely is!)

57 minutes ago, mswapplicant7 said:

That's pretty consistent with what I've heard. I think there's a lot that goes into the ranking - and frankly, I think that the fact that it's an Ivy brings them up in the rankings. The students I've spoken with have said to do whatever makes most financial sense, especially if the other schools I'm considering are well regarded (which Smith definitely is!)

I've gotten the same advice too about choosing a program that makes the most financial sense. It's good, practical advice for sure. I hear BU is a great program! So you really can't go wrong there :) My deadline to Penn is tonight and unless something drastic changes my mind, I will be declining it. I wish you the best of luck!

3 minutes ago, MSW_2021 said:

I was waitlisted to UCLA but they notified me today that I got accepted! I've already committed to NYU though. Both were my top schools and now I'm kind of wavering! Did anyone here get any financial aid and scholarships from UCLA? 

Congrats! I was accepted but declined due to not receiving any financial aid (I am in state if that matters). They sent the financial aid letter a few days after the acceptance!

4 minutes ago, MSW_2021 said:

I was waitlisted to UCLA but they notified me today that I got accepted! I've already committed to NYU though. Both were my top schools and now I'm kind of wavering! Did anyone here get any financial aid and scholarships from UCLA? 

Hey, I am attending UCLA, and this past Monday, I attended a "funding your education discussion." They send out a provisional financial aid letter that does not include any scholarships or aid. The advisor disclosed that aid and scholarships are decided on a "need-based aid" format. Meaning they determine how much aid we qualify for and disburse it during the fall, winter, and spring semester (for my understanding). So it is kind of a roll of the dice, hoping we receive as much as possible, but it is reassuring knowing we will receive aid. They also provide information on where we can go in search of scholarships and potential work-study options. I hope this helped, and most of all, congratulations.