(Canada 2021) MPP/MPA Applications

BTF

Just now, moonday675 said:

Congrats! What leads you to choose MPS vs Munk? Curious to know, based on some of the earlier threads on MPS vs Munk

Munk as I know is more academically focused than MPS, its courses are harder than it really should be, the tuition is crazy expensive, and it only offers 4 months coop. I didn’t want to do 4 months coop over the summer only to tell my employer to wait for me until after I finish another 8 months of school. I don’t really like the timeline for the program (8 months school, then 4 months coop, and then back to school.

However MPS offers a better timeline where I finish 8 months of school then do 8 months coop and the group project (4 months but I can choose to continue working). My goal is to enter into public service straight away so MPS is a better option for me. I don’t care too much about theory but more about practice. 

11 hours ago, amberzsm said:

Just checked no changes to my acorn. Feeling bit sad cuz I’m really counting on munk 

9 hours ago, moonday675 said:

Stay hopeful! When I looked at previous forums, they release offers in waves between mid-late March. Second round offers are in April. Whatever the outcome is for you, I hope it works out! 

yes! also, a fair amount of people received their acceptances before any changes showed on ACORN or SGS! Best of luck!

12 hours ago, leungpxchy said:

Munk as I know is more academically focused than MPS, its courses are harder than it really should be, the tuition is crazy expensive, and it only offers 4 months coop. I didn’t want to do 4 months coop over the summer only to tell my employer to wait for me until after I finish another 8 months of school. I don’t really like the timeline for the program (8 months school, then 4 months coop, and then back to school.

However MPS offers a better timeline where I finish 8 months of school then do 8 months coop and the group project (4 months but I can choose to continue working). My goal is to enter into public service straight away so MPS is a better option for me. I don’t care too much about theory but more about practice. 

Totally fair! Waterloo’s MPS is fairly newish (10 or so years) and it’s becoming more popular given the applicability of it. 

Anyone have any comments on the pro’s of Munk? I’m leaning more to MPS given the mix of theory/practical, where Munk seems mostly theoretical (from what I’ve heard). 

7 hours ago, IM26C4U said:

yes! also, a fair amount of people received their acceptances before any changes showed on ACORN or SGS! Best of luck!

Hey! Curious to what you mean by "received their acceptances before any changes"? Do you mean via email/mail? 

Thanks! 

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the UVIC on campus option and when they'll be sending out offers (or if they already are).

I recently heard from the UBC MPPGA and SFU MPP programs and am trying to decide between the two of them. From all that I've read SFU seems to be way more established but I am curious as to why UBC is charging so much more and if they offer more opportunities as a result. I'm leaning more towards SFU but I want to hear back from UVIC before I make any decisions. Does anyone know why the UBC program isn't mentioned often?

3 minutes ago, moonriver123 said:

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the UVIC on campus option and when they'll be sending out offers (or if they already are).

I recently heard from the UBC MPPGA and SFU MPP programs and am trying to decide between the two of them. From all that I've read SFU seems to be way more established but I am curious as to why UBC is charging so much more and if they offer more opportunities as a result. I'm leaning more towards SFU but I want to hear back from UVIC before I make any decisions. Does anyone know why the UBC program isn't mentioned often?

Hi moonriver123,

Congrats on your acceptances to UBC and SFU! I myself am still waiting to hear back from SFU and I never applied to UBC because of the tuition fees. Would you mind sharing when you applied to SFU and completed your documents?

I myself am waiting to hear back from SFU and Carleton before I decide on uOttawa's offer.

11 minutes ago, bwnt said:

Hi moonriver123,

Congrats on your acceptances to UBC and SFU! I myself am still waiting to hear back from SFU and I never applied to UBC because of the tuition fees. Would you mind sharing when you applied to SFU and completed your documents?

I myself am waiting to hear back from SFU and Carleton before I decide on uOttawa's offer.

Congrats to you as well! Makes sense about UBC, they seem to think they can charge higher fees than most schools. I completed my documents by January 16th and had my last reference in by February 1st. 

I hope you hear back really soon!

My ACORN also indicated that I was invited yesterday and I received a letter of acceptance via email earlier today. Best of luck to those still waiting and I look forward to studying with some of you at Munk this Fall! 

2 hours ago, smessere said:

Hey! Curious to what you mean by "received their acceptances before any changes"? Do you mean via email/mail? 

Thanks! 

That’s what I’ve heard. I don’t know if that’s the case for this cohort, but I know in previous years some applicants said they got admitted without having their SGS or ACORN admitted 

Re: Munk MPP

Does anyone know if there is a major difference between MPP1 and MPP2 groups? Why are we split into two groups? I saw on the website that the timetables were difference for each cohort as well. Is it because some of us applied for collaborative specializations, whereas some of us didn't?

Thanks!

32 minutes ago, IM26C4U said:

Re: Munk MPP

Does anyone know if there is a major difference between MPP1 and MPP2 groups? Why are we split into two groups? I saw on the website that the timetables were difference for each cohort as well. Is it because some of us applied for collaborative specializations, whereas some of us didn't?

Thanks!

No we just alternate doing the courses. If you compare all the courses on the fall and winter timetable it’s all the same. 

1 minute ago, leungpxchy said:

No we just alternate doing the courses. If you compare all the courses on the fall and winter timetable it’s all the same. 

ohhh yeah makes sense. admittedly i was too lazy to look at it in depth lol. thanks!

22 hours ago, moonriver123 said:

Hello! I reached out to UVic recently and they said they have not sent out decisions but will “hopefully” do so by end of March?

On 3/18/2021 at 11:26 AM, moonday675 said:

Stay hopeful! When I looked at previous forums, they release offers in waves between mid-late March. Second round offers are in April. Whatever the outcome is for you, I hope it works out! 

On 3/18/2021 at 9:17 PM, IM26C4U said:

Thank you both for the encouragement!  I received my admission email earlier today. 

On 3/18/2021 at 1:16 PM, moonday675 said:

Totally fair! Waterloo’s MPS is fairly newish (10 or so years) and it’s becoming more popular given the applicability of it. 

Anyone have any comments on the pro’s of Munk? I’m leaning more to MPS given the mix of theory/practical, where Munk seems mostly theoretical (from what I’ve heard). 

I've addressed some of the common misconceptions about Munk on a previous page in this thread. It briefly addresses the pros as well. Have a look. If you have follow-up questions or would like me to elaborate on anything, feel free to ask away. 

As a point of clarification, the perception of Munk being more difficult + "theory" based primarily stems from our additional courses in econometrics and economics. Some consider this as being needlessly difficult, others, like myself, consider it to be essential to help gain a salient understanding of the economy. There's a reason why Munk produces more than just policy analysts. The matriculants end up assuming a wide-array of job titles - data analysts, economists, private sector consultants, among others. I would imagine the heterogeneity in job titles/functions to be more prevelant in Munk than other policy schools.

Edited by mppmgaapplicant2018

On 3/20/2021 at 7:32 PM, mppmgaapplicant2018 said:

I've addressed some of the common misconceptions about Munk on a previous page in this thread. It briefly addresses the pros as well. Have a look. If you have follow-up questions or would like me to elaborate on anything, feel free to ask away. 

As a point of clarification, the perception of Munk being more difficult + "theory" based primarily stems from our additional courses in econometrics and economics. Some consider this as being needlessly difficult, others, like myself, consider it to be essential to help gain a salient understanding of the economy. There's a reason why Munk produces more than just policy analysts. The matriculants end up assuming a wide-array of job titles - data analysts, economists, private sector consultants, among others. I would imagine the heterogeneity in job titles/functions to be more prevelant in Munk than other policy schools.

Hey! I haven’t been on this platform in years lol, but came across the 2021 applicant forum and want to chime in. 

I was part of the 2017 cohort (graduated in 2019). I agree with the above-noted insights. Initially, I didn’t think the theory/“academic” focus and quantitative rigour was necessary for a policy job, but I soon realized the value add. The job opportunities are immensely wide! By God’s grace, in my first year of graduating I became a Senior Policy/Program Analyst in the OPS, and promoted to a Policy Consultant role at a different organization within a year (6+ figures). It’s not all about the $, but there are elements of the MPP that can expedite graduates' career path. 

Edited by YouniK