(Canada 2021) MPP/MPA Applications

BTF

On 3/18/2021 at 4:01 PM, Argotnaut said:

I just got my acceptance! Does anyone know how the scholarship for Munk works? Do they mentioned it in your acceptance letter?

In my year (2017), they mentioned the scholarship offer in the acceptance email.

On 3/21/2021 at 10:00 AM, newbie2020 said:

Has anyone heard from Uottawa’s MPA yet?

Do you mean GSPIA's MA program? Apologies if there is a different MPA program at uOttawa. I heard back from GSPIA last week..

On 3/18/2021 at 2:04 PM, mppFall2021 said:

My acorn status is changed to. Are we sure this is confirmation of acceptance?

If it says “invited,” it sure is!

1 hour ago, YouniK said:

Hey! I haven’t been on this platform in years lol, but came across the 2021 applicant forum and want to chime in. 

I was part of the 2017 cohort (graduated in 2019). I agree with the above-noted insights. Initially, I didn’t think the theory/“academic” focus and quantitative rigour was necessary for a policy job, but I soon realized the value add. The job opportunities are immensely wide! By God’s grace, in my first year of graduating I became a Senior Policy/Program Analyst in the OPS, and promoted to a Policy Consultant role at a different organization within a year (6+ figures). It’s not all about the $, but there are elements of the MPP that can expedite graduates' career path. 

Yay! Nice to have you back on the forum! FYI folks - YouniK was incredibly helpful at the time that I was making my decision between Munk and other schools. Some of you reached out to me privately and I definitely encourage you to reach out to Youni too. 

Edited by mppmgaapplicant2018

I have recently been accepted into both the Queen's MPA and McMaster MPP program and am torn between both of them. McMaster's MPP program is new this year but focuses more on the digital aspects of public policy, which intrigues me and I have heard that Queen's MPA program is good from previous students and forums. Any thoughts about both of these programs? 

Edited by psychedelicshrooms

4 hours ago, mppmgaapplicant2018 said:

Yay! Nice to have you back on the forum! FYI folks - YouniK was incredibly helpful at the time that I was making my decision between Munk and other schools. Some of you reached out to me privately and I definitely encourage you to reach out to Youni too. 

Hey! Glad you decided on U of T - hope you enjoyed the program.

Yes, if anyone has questions about the program please reach out!

3 hours ago, Bravo said:

Still waiting on Munk... :(. Is it safe to say I didn't make it? I'm so stressed out about it. Congrats to everyone that did!!

I don't think so! I received this email from Munk's MPP Admissions earlier today: "Please note we have already made some offers which went out recently and the next round of offers will be in April 2021." So there's still hope.

5 hours ago, Bravo said:

Still waiting on Munk... :(. Is it safe to say I didn't make it? I'm so stressed out about it. Congrats to everyone that did!!

Don't lose hope! They've only done one round of acceptances from what I've been told. More will be coming in April, guaranteed - I got this confirmed by admin multiple times, and so have other posters on this forum! Good luck!

On 3/15/2021 at 11:04 PM, TedCruzAteMyKids said:

MPA is a professional degree, MA Political Science is academic. If you want to be in policy, especially for the Ontario Public Service, Queen's is a no-brainer and has decades of experience. Idk about York so it wouldn't be fair for me to comment but I can't imagine it's stronger than Queen's if public service is your goal.

Thanks for the feedback! 

On 3/19/2021 at 1:29 PM, nervous_ said:

Hello! I reached out to UVic recently and they said they have not sent out decisions but will “hopefully” do so by end of March?

Eagerly waiting and checking status daily. I'm waiting for the online decision which I understand usually comes 1-2 weeks after on-campus decisions. When anyone gets an update or hears from UVIC please let us know!

Accepted to Munks MPP program last week!

cGPA: 3.18 (I failed four courses in my first year just to give people hope lol), fourth year GPA: 3.93, decent ECs (nothing spectacular but involved in causes I'm passionate about, framed PS around them), three LORs (2 profs, 1 supervisor).

I'm set on Munk but super nervous about the quantitative/stats stuff as I know nothing beyond elementary school math lol. Can anyone who went through the program with limited prior quantitative knowledge speak on the difficulty of the courses, is there anything I can do to prepare right now?

On 3/22/2021 at 3:53 PM, Ball_D said:

Do you mean GSPIA's MA program? Apologies if there is a different MPA program at uOttawa. I heard back from GSPIA last week..

Unfortunately not the GSPIA’s MA, it’s a different one! It’s with the School of Political Studies

1 hour ago, single_dollar said:

Eagerly waiting and checking status daily. I'm waiting for the online decision which I understand usually comes 1-2 weeks after on-campus decisions. When anyone gets an update or hears from UVIC please let us know!

Hey again! Just received my acceptance for the on-campus program. Hopefully you hear from the online program soon?

Curious if anyone has been rejected from Munk yet, or is comfortable sharing if they were? Im still "under review", I know there is a second round in April. I just want to make sure it isn't a "rejected" yet before I start making other plans for September. 

Thanks! 

Just now, smessere said:

Curious if anyone has been rejected from Munk yet, or is comfortable sharing if they were? Im still "under review", I know there is a second round in April. I just want to make sure it isn't a "rejected" yet before I start making other plans for September. 

Thanks! 

Specifically the MPP. 

6 hours ago, seekingchange said:

cGPA: 3.18 (I failed four courses in my first year just to give people hope lol), fourth year GPA: 3.93, decent ECs (nothing spectacular but involved in causes I'm passionate about, framed PS around them), three LORs (2 profs, 1 supervisor).

I'm set on Munk but super nervous about the quantitative/stats stuff as I know nothing beyond elementary school math lol. Can anyone who went through the program with limited prior quantitative knowledge speak on the difficulty of the courses, is there anything I can do to prepare right now?

There’s usually a (mandatory) boot camp/math course offered over the summer prior to the first semester. You will do well as long as you do the work, attend tutorials, and get extra help when needed.

This is an example of the syllabus for microeconomics: http://www.atlas101.ca/pm/courses/toronto-ppg1002-microeconomics-for-policy-analysis/. Hopefully it’s helpful. 

Edited by YouniK

7 hours ago, seekingchange said:

congrats!! im also not a huge fan of quantitative aspect lol (but i know it's rlly useful to know so..). they do offer a prep course! and i've been told that it gets less quantitative-heavy after the first semester, if it helps! 

21 hours ago, newbie2020 said:

Does anyone know if second round offers have come from Carleton’s MPPA yet? 

I was accepted in the first round of admission and recently declined my offer. I seemed to be one of the last few to receive their offer for the first round and my deadline to accept was the 22nd. With that being said, I imagine that the offers for the second round should be coming out fairly soon as most first round applicant deadlines to accept have just passed. I know that doesn't specifically answer your question but I hope it helps!

21 hours ago, newbie2020 said:

Does anyone know if second round offers have come from Carleton’s MPPA yet? 

I was accepted to Carleton at around 10 am this morning. Must be the second round of offers as my acceptance seems to coincide with the first round deadlines.

Hope this helps!

Has anyone received word from the University of Calgary, Dalhousie or Ryerson?

I was recently accepted to Carleton, however, I haven’t heard a peep from any of these other schools. Curious if anyone else has heard anything!