MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

4 minutes ago, 3arabiyya said:

who here has applied to SAIC or know someone who has gone there? I'm really excited for my interview

I went there for undergrad. I had a good experience but the amount of debt it left me with is something I wouldn’t do again. 

2 minutes ago, 3arabiyya said:

who here has applied to SAIC or know someone who has gone there? I'm really excited for my interview

I did my undergrad at SAIC. I have some friends who did MFA Painting there

I applied to painting and also have an interview at Yale. I received no email but checked my portal.  I’m shocked because SAIC outright rejected me referring me instead to interview with their post bacc program (which in fairness makes some kind of sense because I’m a 23 year old waitress with a bachelors of science) ?

Edited by Scrambledmegs

1 minute ago, Scrambledmegs said:

I applied to painting and also have an interview at Yale. I received no email but checked my portal.  I’m shocked because SAIC outright rejected me ?

You never know what the programs want every year.. theyre building a cohort and requirements change and are unpredictable. Congrats on your yale interview!

43 minutes ago, Dgzrlemc said:

I went there for undergrad. I had a good experience but the amount of debt it left me with is something I wouldn’t do again. 

I'm sorry to hear that! What did you study there?

Does anyone understand the financial aid component at this point in the game?

If you have an interview/interviews at some schools should you complete the FASFA now? Or do you wait until you have a formal acceptance letter? I do not want to wait too long, but every school has a different timeline for when you find out if you are accepted or not. I also have no idea if I will be accepted anywhere, and it seems silly to preemptively submit for schools that I am still unsure if they will give me an offer. 

2 minutes ago, katfude said:

If you have an interview/interviews at some schools should you complete the FASFA now? Or do you wait until you have a formal acceptance letter? I do not want to wait too long, but every school has a different timeline for when you find out if you are accepted or not. I also have no idea if I will be accepted anywhere, and it seems silly to preemptively submit for schools that I am still unsure if they will give me an offer. 

I think you should do it now to get it out of the way if you can. FAFSA is such a pain (!!!!!) to complete but in my experience, the mental clarity of getting it out of the way is worth it :) 

each school has deadlines for FAFSA and most recommend you submit according to that deadline, often before a decision is made about your admission to the program. Schools have a limited amount of financial aid they can give out and if you apply after the deadline they provide you will not be given priority. They may even run out of funding, regardless of your need. Once you've filled out the FAFSA form it becomes quite easy to add the schools (I believe you can add up to 10)

I would recommend to apply as soon as possible!

Just now, piersons2 said:

I think you should do it now to get it out of the way if you can. FAFSA is such a pain (!!!!!) to complete but in my experience, the mental clarity of getting it out of the way is worth it :) 

I have been invited to one interview so far, but do you complete one for each school even before you have received an invitation to interview? Some schools aren't going to send their interview requests until weeks from now. 

8 minutes ago, katfude said:

I completed my FASFA a few months ago and listed all of the schools I applied to. 

Edited by Painfullywaiting

From what I understand from the school's info sessions, you should do the FASFA now and send it to all of the schools that you are applying for. Once you have online form filled out, there's a pulldown menu for adding the schools. I don't think there's a problem with preemptively submitting. Doing so now means not having to do go back to the FASFA again, scramble to do so once you have an invitation from them, or worry about missing a deadline. People please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Just now, 3arabiyya said:

each school has deadlines for FAFSA and most recommend you submit according to that deadline, often before a decision is made about your admission to the program. Schools have a limited amount of financial aid they can give out and if you apply after the deadline they provide you will not be given priority. They may even run out of funding, regardless of your need. Once you've filled out the FAFSA form it becomes quite easy to add the schools (I believe you can add up to 10)

I would recommend to apply as soon as possible!

Thank you!! I will do this today.