MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

Is anyone else here coming from a non arts-related background? I'm so insecure about my prospects... How tf can I possibly beat an applicant with a BFA when they've poured in four years of their undergraduate study to focus on their practice—meanwhile my highest level of art education was a high school class from five years ago???

1 minute ago, dgrkrk said:

Is anyone else here coming from a non arts-related background? I'm so insecure about my prospects... How tf can I possibly beat an applicant with a BFA when they've poured in four years of their undergraduate study to focus on their practice—meanwhile my highest level of art education was a high school class from five years ago???

Me! I have a BS.  I think we just have to try and try again. Maybe consider a post bacc program too. I certainly will if I don’t get into any mfa programs. I think some schools doubt the commitment of an applicant unless you’ve been professionally in the art world or academically in the art world.  Especially with younger applicants.  But some schools also love an outsider! 

7 minutes ago, dgrkrk said:

all that matters is your work! if your portfolio is good then you're golden. I talked with a professional artist once and he stressed to me that it begins and ends with the work, anything else is kinda secondary.

2 hours ago, katfude said:

I really did not like the program itself because of their overall attitude and how separate they keep their majors (I’m super interdisciplinary).. but I was hoping to utilize a research opportunity that is unique only to Yale would influence my art practice like no other school could. Anyway, for anyone disappointed, my good friend just graduated from their MFA program this past year and tried to dissuade me from applying since they did not think that their program was up to the standards that they advertise.

That’s sorta how I felt about Yale. I’m not sure it’s worth going that much in debt for a program that doesn’t really support what I do.

Posing another question. Has anyone gotten accepted when applying, and ended up rejecting because you couldn’t afford it? I’m scared that I’m just not able to accept going financially. The 5 schools I applied to, only a couple offer decent funding. I’m nervous that I’m going to have to wait another year since I’m banking on scholarship money.

How bad does it hurt having to tell a school no due to finances?

For those of you that heard back from SAIC.... did any of you apply for the low residency program? I haven't heard anything back from them but I haven't noticed that any of you applied for that program...

friend had interview with MICA today for those waiting on that... still no word from Bard 

21 minutes ago, slickjaketheruler said:

Posing another question. Has anyone gotten accepted when applying, and ended up rejecting because you couldn’t afford it? I’m scared that I’m just not able to accept going financially. The 5 schools I applied to, only a couple offer decent funding. I’m nervous that I’m going to have to wait another year since I’m banking on scholarship money.

I remembered that Yale and UCLA offered quite decent scholarships. And I heard that all the students in Yale Photography got scholarship.

27 minutes ago, slickjaketheruler said:

I haven't been in that situation yet, but I expect I might be. So i'm hoping I can leverage my offers, or at least find an option that genuinely works for me. Honestly this was my situation in undergrad- I wound up appealing my scholarship offer, essentially just asking them for more money. It worked once! So I think there's hope.

therefore my answer is that I hope we don't have to find out how it feels to tell a school no due to finance :)

21 minutes ago, teetertotterr said:

For those of you that heard back from SAIC.... did any of you apply for the low residency program? I haven't heard anything back from them but I haven't noticed that any of you applied for that program...

friend had interview with MICA today for those waiting on that... still no word from Bard 

Hi can I ask you of which program your friend had interview with? I applied to the hoffberger at Mica.

Edited by Sofullsofull

37 minutes ago, slickjaketheruler said:

I was in that situation last year with SAIC and Cranbrook. The advice I usually see is to apply anywhere and then worry about financials later, but uh, now having been in that situation I'm calling bull.
It does hurt to turn down two great acceptances, but it was also a learning experience for me and I completely rethought my schools this time around. (Though it is a little humiliating to admit that you can't afford the school, but you don't need to go into detail about it. Just say it's not financially feasible at this time.) Also applying the second time helped me get rid of the timeline I was confining myself to. It'll work out when it works out. 

51 minutes ago, slickjaketheruler said:

I had to turn down Columbia for undergrad because I couldn't afford it. The decision still haunts me but I had no choice, tried everything to get the money together but had to accept a scholarship elsewhere in the end...

46 minutes ago, teetertotterr said:

Painting for me! I only heard back after many people had already gotten invited. I think different departments have different deadlines

1 hour ago, dgrkrk said:

i studied art history and business.... not completely unrelated but no BFA or studio focused program. I just mentioned how my experience informs where I am now and how it helps me paint. The programs i have interviewed with were actually curious about my background! You got to your decision to follow this career path because of your history, I am sure it informs where you are now and your choice to pursue a fine arts path! What did you study?

1 hour ago, slickjaketheruler said:

I turned down RISD last year. It hurt at first, but I knew deep down that I didn’t really want to go there. I did the private art school thing once, and I really wasn’t interested in doing it again. I also didn’t appreciate how their financial aid office treated me throughout the process of asking for funding. That’s a whole different story though. 

I feel a lot better this time around. I applied to programs that felt like a better fit. My portfolio and statements are way more solid than last year. The stock advice is to not worry about finances until after acceptance. I guess just bank on the ones that offer you the most money? If a school really wants you, they’ll do everything they can to finance you. 

18 minutes ago, 3arabiyya said:

What did you study?

I actually studied Art History too!—but only as a minor; my majors were in the social sciences. I also didn't get the chance to take any studio courses whatsoever. That's why I'm really lacking in the technical proficiency side, which of course translates to the portfolio. But my biggest strength is definitely my critical abilities; I have a very solid understanding of my practice and can articulate very clearly how my work fits into contemporary influences in addition to being contextualized by sociological developments of our time. I really tried to emphasize that in my statement, and I hope it's enough to put me over the admissions finish line!

Edited by dgrkrk

OKAY PANICKING!  This is a part of Yale's interview requirements:

"finalists are asked to select FOUR artworks (paintings, drawings, prints, video or other) and FOUR studies (sketches, provisional or preparatory works, etc.) for the committee to view during the interview. Experimentation, risk-taking, and openness within one's practice are some of the core values in Yale's program."

My problem is I don't make "studies."  I never have, or the few times that I have they are just dumb sketches to lay out a composition and I've thrown them away. I have a few works that I regard as incomplete.  That is, despite the high level of finish to the painting, I'm really just throwing around the idea. I attached example of a painting that is just a superficial stab at what it would be like to paint a John Kacere as a woman and a painting that is just a painting from life with a taxidermy bat rather than a photograph.  Do you think Yale would accept these as "studies?"  In other words, they are finished paintings but unfinished ideas. Or should I use the reference photographs I take (that seems horribly lame.)? Or be quick on my feet and make up some experimental studies before the end of the month?  Seems dishonest...  Any and all help would be appreciated.

Sincerely writhing in horror and anxiety,

M

Vampyre.jpg

MeandJohnKacere.jpg

1 minute ago, dgrkrk said:

I actually studied Art History too!—but only as a minor; my majors were in the social sciences. I also didn't get the chance to take any studio courses whatsoever. That's why I'm really lacking in the technical proficiency side, which of course translates to the portfolio. But my biggest strength is definitely my critical abilities; I have a very solid understanding of my practice and can articulate very clearly how my work fits into contemporary influences and is contextualized by sociological developments of our time. I really tried to emphasize that in my statement, and I hope it's enough to put me over the admissions finish line!

wow thats great! I feel social sciences can easily be tied into your practice, and your knowledge would be very helpful to others in your cohort! Conversing with our peers, in critiques for example, is one of the most compelling aspects of an MFA program. With your social science background, you will have a different and valuable perspective. Critical, theoretical and conceptual prowess are highly valued in many programs, even more so than technical proficiency in some (Yale, Goldsmiths)

From the sound of it, you'll be just fine! Goodluck!

1 minute ago, 3arabiyya said:

wow thats great! I feel social sciences can easily be tied into your practice, and your knowledge would be very helpful to others in your cohort! Conversing with our peers, in critiques for example, is one of the most compelling aspects of an MFA program. With your social science background, you will have a different and valuable perspective. Critical, theoretical and conceptual prowess are highly valued in many programs, even more so than technical proficiency in some (Yale, Goldsmiths)

From the sound of it, you'll be just fine! Goodluck!

Ahhhhh thank you so much for the reassurance! Good luck on all your applications too!!! We can do this! :)

6 minutes ago, Scrambledmegs said:

"finalists are asked to select FOUR artworks (paintings, drawings, prints, video or other) and FOUR studies (sketches, provisional or preparatory works, etc.) for the committee to view during the interview. Experimentation, risk-taking, and openness within one's practice are some of the core values in Yale's program."

My problem is I don't make "studies."  I never have, or the few times that I have they are just dumb sketches to lay out a composition and I've thrown them away. I have a few works that I regard as incomplete.  That is, despite the high level of finish to the painting, I'm really just throwing around the idea. I attached example of a painting that is just a superficial stab at what it would be like to paint a John Kacere as a woman and a painting that is just a painting from life with a taxidermy bat rather than a photograph.  Do you think Yale would accept these as "studies?"  In other words, they are finished paintings but unfinished ideas. Or should I use the reference photographs I take (that seems horribly lame.)? Or be quick on my feet and make up some experimental studies before the end of the month?  Seems dishonest...  Any and all help would be appreciated.

M

Vampyre.jpg

MeandJohnKacere.jpg

WOW! beautiful work!

I think the latter part of the prompt is the most important: showing your risk taking and openness to experimentation. Have you worked with other media? Have you explored topics maybe that weren't included in your portfolio? The two paintings attached are very different in content, maybe you can elaborate more about your openness to subject matter

Btw i paint in a more realistic fashion and i rarely ever make studies...

4 minutes ago, 3arabiyya said:

WOW! beautiful work!

I think the latter part of the prompt is the most important: showing your risk taking and openness to experimentation. Have you worked with other media? Have you explored topics maybe that weren't included in your portfolio? The two paintings attached are very different in content, maybe you can elaborate more about your openness to subject matter

Btw i paint in a more realistic fashion and i rarely ever make studies...

Thank you and so relieved to hear I am not the only one! I'm like is that somethin' they taught in them faaannccy art schools up north? LOL. I pretty much got a set of oil paints and never looked back so media experimentation is minimal.  I guess I see those paintings as dabblings content-wise so I could just elaborate on that.  My finished work often includes animals and female figures, more finished narratives and ideas.  I think you are right about the risk taking.  That will be what they are really looking for with this awful requirement!  And probably best not to include work already in the portfolio! TRICKY!

2 minutes ago, artapplicant said:

hmm i still have not heard anything from yale and nothing has been updated in my portal! so strange  

You applied for painting too?  I'd email them and ask.  Also, take this as a hopeful sign.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, Scrambledmegs said:

M

Vampyre.jpg

MeandJohnKacere.jpg

These are so stunning!!!! Do you have a website? ?