MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

7 hours ago, NoraEllie said:

What’s your standpoint on Columbia when it comes to their funding and financial aid? Do they fund students well like Yale or...? 

From conversations with current/recently graduated Columbia MFAs my understanding is that printmaking has great funding but the other disciplines have terrible funding. 1 student in painting receives full tuition. I've never heard gossip of anyone in photo, new genres, or video receiving full funding. The rumor is that the dean carol becker views the school of the arts MFA as a money maker for Columbia. Faculty have told me that before dean becker there used to be way more scholarships and funding.  

Edited by theundoing

On 3/2/2021 at 7:05 PM, SocialKonstruct said:

Good news. Columbia just updated its student list to show who is attending the current iteration at their MFA program: https://arts.columbia.edu/visual-arts/students

wow . 100% of their painters (with linked websites) for 2022 are representational . totally shocking. 

Edited by theundoing

16 hours ago, NoraEllie said:

Anyone here with a degree in biological sciences? Or even any other degree rather than art? 
How do you guys answer the interview questions when they ask why art when a degree in science? I mainly got a degree in science bc I knew MFA programs didn’t require art degrees so I could get a decent job after graduating and save enough money for art school.  

Hmmm I would definitely not say that LOL 

Do you LIKE science? Does it inform your artwork at all? Those are the things I would tie in. Or I would talk about how you've always liked art or been an artist (if thats the case, it sounds liek you wanted to go to art school) and then talk about how you got to science. I think science and art can be intertwined so they may just be interested in how you got where you are and how the two interests may feed off each other. 

1 hour ago, theundoing said:

wow . 100% of their painters (with linked websites) for 2022 are representational . totally shocking. 

Perhaps not. Figurative painting is back into style and it's the hottest contemporary art trend during the BLM era.

17 hours ago, lizavetar96 said:

Hey, did you apply for a departmental scholarship? (In the handbook that the chair sent the accepted applicants there should be a link to it)

Hey, 
I did not, I had no clue there were departmental scholarships, I received a pdf with my acceptance regarding scholarships to apply for but that's about it. I hope I didn't miss my shot! 

1 minute ago, wambam said:

Hunter rejection (painting) via email this am.  Oh well... anybody trying to decide between RISD and Yale (if Yale ever sends out acceptances)?!  Not sure what I would do

I'm also waiting on Yale! Acceptances should be out by next Monday at the latest they said. 

6 hours ago, dramallama_07 said:

When did you get the acceptance letter? Because I've also been accepted

I had an interview on the 23rd of Feb, and received an email of acceptance the following day. I accepted, and placed my deposit.... but now I'm worried I won't receive any assistance. 

5 minutes ago, CMCM said:

I had an interview on the 23rd of Feb, and received an email of acceptance the following day. I accepted, and placed my deposit.... but now I'm worried I won't receive any assistance. 

Was this for the fine arts department?

Just now, CMCM said:

No, it was for a MFA in Design 

Well idk if this will be of help but I did talk to a current student at fine arts and he said that most acceptances in the fine arts Dept come around mid- March along w financial letters. Although I got my acceptance way earlier in mid Feb which I assume was a sort of early acceptance. Maybe you could've received one of these early acceptances too. And maybe, just like me, you should too wait a bit before they send financial letters later.

11 minutes ago, dramallama_07 said:

Well idk if this will be of help but I did talk to a current student at fine arts and he said that most acceptances in the fine arts Dept come around mid- March along w financial letters. Although I got my acceptance way earlier in mid Feb which I assume was a sort of early acceptance. Maybe you could've received one of these early acceptances too. And maybe, just like me, you should too wait a bit before they send financial letters later.

Got you! 
This makes sense, especially considering that acceptances are taking place in mid March. 
This helps a lot and has helped me calmed my nerves, thanks so much! 

33 minutes ago, eiffel65 said:

Accepted into SAIC MDDO!!!! Just got an email saying the packet is delayed but I'm so excited! This waiting has taken over my week and put me in a total funk and it's so relieving to finally know. I think they're my top choice :)

Congrats ? 

i just got the same email for MDDO !! 

6 hours ago, geeeeebie said:

Hmmm I would definitely not say that LOL 

Do you LIKE science? Does it inform your artwork at all? Those are the things I would tie in. Or I would talk about how you've always liked art or been an artist (if thats the case, it sounds liek you wanted to go to art school) and then talk about how you got to science. I think science and art can be intertwined so they may just be interested in how you got where you are and how the two interests may feed off each other. 

HAHA you guys are so helpful! Thank you- I definitely need to do that. I’ve always wanted to do art but somehow just loved science and wanted to get a BS in that field because I knew I wouldn’t be pursuing it so might as well go into the STEM field during undergrad.

Just did a search here on UCLA applicants, seems like a lot of new/genres and sculpture people heard from the school in February. I have not heard from them on my application for good or bad. Are people getting rejection emails?

I'm also waiting on Columbia.

I do have an interview at Pratt on Tuesday.

rejected: Yale, RISD, Hunter

interviewed: Parsons, Pratt

waiting: UCLA, Columbia

Edited by zoopsia
more info

8 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Perhaps not. Figurative painting is back into style and it's the hottest contemporary art trend during the BLM era.

yeah. I'm just surprised because it has been ~50/50 abstract vs figurative for the last four years.