MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

19 hours ago, 3arabiyya said:

lovely! Did you or did they study painting? Did they like it?

•  

I studied painting and so did my friends. Saic is great but it’s really expensive. I received a good amount of scholarship from saic but I’m in debt just like everyone else who went there. 

Just wanted to add that I do recommend going to saic as long as they give you enough money. I applied there for the mfa painting and have an interview as well. But I don’t think I will be going there unless they cover most of my tuition. 

Edited by berries

24 minutes ago, katfude said:

Question for the BU painting majors with interviews— were you prompted to schedule for Feb 22nd and 24th between 9-12? I’m curious if all of those spots are for potential sculptors, or if they are for everyone with interviews. 

No. I was prompted to schedule the interview for feb 24th, 25th, and 26th.

2 hours ago, berries said:

I studied painting and so did my friends. Saic is great but it’s really expensive. I received a good amount of scholarship from saic but I’m in debt just like everyone else who went there. 

Just wanted to add that I do recommend going to saic as long as they give you enough money. I applied there for the mfa painting and have an interview as well. But I don’t think I will be going there unless they cover most of my tuition. 

Thanks for sharing! I hope we all get through this stage with some funding at the end

5 minutes ago, BCS said:

Lots of great info so far on this thread! Anyone heard or applied to UGA or UNCG?

I’m still waiting to hear back from UGA! I think I maybe read on a previous mfa freak out forum that they’re notoriously late at getting back requests, etc.? 

1 minute ago, Dgzrlemc said:

I’m still waiting to hear back from UGA! I think I maybe read on a previous mfa freak out forum that they’re notoriously late at getting back requests, etc.? 

Good to know, thanks. Did you get an interview? I just assume I'm was a no go since I wasn't contacted for an interview. Status still says awaiting though.

3 minutes ago, BCS said:

Good to know, thanks. Did you get an interview? I just assume I'm was a no go since I wasn't contacted for an interview. Status still says awaiting though.

No, I haven’t heard anything either. Did you check your status through slide room or their site?  I tried to check through their site yesterday and it wasn’t working so I gave up for now hah. I applied for ceramics. What about you? 

Edited by Dgzrlemc

17 hours ago, slickjaketheruler said:

Out of curiosity, for those that chose to apply to Yale, what is bringing you to apply there?

I thought about applying this year, but their program seems to be more painting focused than printmaking within their MFA cohorts. I just couldn’t see myself going there.

They have an incomparable reputation. Their faculty are amazing. You get really nice studio space and they offer good financial aid. I’ve met quite a few Yale recent grads and their work is?

14 hours ago, teetertotterr said:

For those of you that heard back from SAIC.... did any of you apply for the low residency program? I haven't heard anything back from them but I haven't noticed that any of you applied for that program...

friend had interview with MICA today for those waiting on that... still no word from Bard 

I applied to two programs at SAIC. Painting/Drawing and Low Residency. I received an interview invitation for Painting/Drawing and I haven't heard anything from the Low Residency program. I'm also waiting to hear from Bard.

1 hour ago, Dgzrlemc said:

No, I haven’t heard anything either. Did you check your status through slide room or their site?  I tried to check through their site yesterday and it wasn’t working so I gave up for now hah. I applied for ceramics. What about you? 

I just went to the site on the uga gradapply page where it says Application Status. I haven't tried slideroom, guess I should!

16 hours ago, teetertotterr said:

For those of you that heard back from SAIC.... did any of you apply for the low residency program? I haven't heard anything back from them but I haven't noticed that any of you applied for that program...

friend had interview with MICA today for those waiting on that... still no word from Bard 

Postings from past-year forums suggest that SAIC does not interview candidates for the low-res program, but does send out acceptance notifications for the low-res program early, sometimes by the first or second weeks of February. (Past performance is not a guarantee of future results) ?

52 minutes ago, graciej said:

I did my undergrad at UNCG if you have any questions about the program!

Hope you don’t mind if I piggy-back here. Does UNCG rely on grad students to do much teaching at the undergrad level?

17 hours ago, dgrkrk said:

I actually studied Art History too!—but only as a minor; my majors were in the social sciences. I also didn't get the chance to take any studio courses whatsoever. That's why I'm really lacking in the technical proficiency side, which of course translates to the portfolio.

I too come from no an undergraduate major in the social sciences nearly 15 years ago and no formal training the visual arts outside of a single course I took at a local community college. My practice really only gained steam in the past few years. I'm of the opinion that you have to communicate what strengths you bring and be honest and effective or portraying what you hope to gain in 2-3 years of study. For what it's worth, I was accepted into my top choice program and I'm waiting to hear back from one other before making a decision. I say this all to say if you haven't followed the traditional pathway, do not fear. If anything studies in creative fields should be open to individuals outside the traditional pathways less we limit the lived experiences and creative practices that different pathways bring. Be authentic and find a program that will push and nurture you. Ultimately it's about your own growth so finding a program and location that speak to you is the most important factor I believe. Good luck - I'm excited for the next chapter and challenge ahead.

21 minutes ago, elix said:

Hello! Has anyone on here interviewed with UofARK // do you know when we're supposed to hear back from them about acceptances or rejections?

I interviewed within the photo department.

I interviewed with ceramics the 29th and am anxiously waiting ?. All they told me was “within a couple weeks”. 

1 hour ago, JellyRoll said:

Hope you don’t mind if I piggy-back here. Does UNCG rely on grad students to do much teaching at the undergrad level?

it depends really! I would say that maybe two grad students a semester teach a foundations level course (drawing, design, sculpture). More often that not grad students are teaching assistants, which can be for art history too! That’s mostly grading and proctoring exams and less actual class instruction time. In my time there I had two grad student led classes, both freshman year foundations. 

Just now, IndianPainter said:

Hi! I just interviewed at UPenn, does anyone have any thoughts about their MFA program? I have an interview at Mount Royal at MICA this week, then SAIC next. Still waiting on Parsons, anyone else?

Good luck to everyone! This waiting game is horrible so sending hugs ??

Do you mind sharing wt kind of questions they ask, like how to better prepare for it? Im never done an interview before and its so nerve-racking 

Just now, artist wannabe said:

Do you mind sharing wt kind of questions they ask, like how to better prepare for it? Im never done an interview before and its so nerve-racking 

Yeah! It was 30 minutes long with 2 professors. They mostly asked me about my background - I graduated with a B.S. in Engineering in April so they were curious about my practice, where I think my art fit in, which artists I look up to, why I wanted to attend grad school and Penn specifically. It was very casual and conversational! It was helpful to look up the professors' bios before so I found common ground to talk about before hand. Also be prepared to ask some questions at the end - they gave me 5-10 minutes to ask. Hope it goes well! :)