Fall 2021 Applications

tundratussocks

@Anny_anthy congrats on the interview with Michigan! Was it with your PoI, or admission committee members / department graduate student coordinator? Did they say anything about funding constraints, or limits to number of applicants they can admit this year due to COVID circumstances?

Also somewhat comforted by the uncertainty around whether all admitted students are interviewed. Hoping for the best. 

Also @ anyone who has had an interview:

1. is there any sense of whether schools know if they will be offering in-person classes in the fall? 

2. what sort of questions were asked, beyond the usual ones? any about COVID circumstances affecting research, etc?

3. were you asked about external funding you had applied for (grants, fellowships, etc) - through the institution or otherwise?

11 hours ago, samur said:

@Anny_anthy congrats on the interview with Michigan! Was it with your PoI, or admission committee members / department graduate student coordinator? Did they say anything about funding constraints, or limits to number of applicants they can admit this year due to COVID circumstances?

Also somewhat comforted by the uncertainty around whether all admitted students are interviewed. Hoping for the best. 

Thank you! It was with my POI and a senior faculty member. They didn't say anything about funding constraints/COVID circumstances. As a matter of fact, they emphasized that funding was not an issue for them at all as a public institution (compared to Yale, UChicago, etc.). 

Wishing you (and all of us) the best of luck! 

Edited by Anny_anthy

11 hours ago, samur said:

Also @ anyone who has had an interview:

1. is there any sense of whether schools know if they will be offering in-person classes in the fall? 

2. what sort of questions were asked, beyond the usual ones? any about COVID circumstances affecting research, etc?

3. were you asked about external funding you had applied for (grants, fellowships, etc) - through the institution or otherwise?

1. I didn't get into this in my interview, so not sure about in-person classes in the fall. Definitely a question I will ask my POI shortly.

2. Why Michigan?; specific questions regarding my prior research and how I carried out fieldwork during COVID; questions about my proposed fieldsites for the doctoral project (overall, very few COVID-related questions)

3. No.

16 hours ago, samur said:

I haven't had any interviews yet, but I do currently work for a university and spoke with a couple POI at a university I applied to, prior to applying. Both the school I work for and the school I applied to are in the Midwest and both will be offering a combination of in-person and online classes this fall still. There have also been changes to the academic schedules (i.e., no major breaks to prevent students traveling home and back) that will still be in place this coming fall. This seems to be what most Midwest schools are doing. 

I have been unable to access the results page today, receiving an error message "Your connection is not private. Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.thegradcafe.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards)"

Anyone else having this issue?

31 minutes ago, samur said:

I have been unable to access the results page today, receiving an error message "Your connection is not private. Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.thegradcafe.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards)"

Anyone else having this issue?

aannnd we are back, nevermind.

Does anyone know CUNY's timeline for Cultural anthro? The website says March but I saw on the results page that a good amount of students heard back today (Congrats btw :) )

@sophrodr Not sure about CUNY's timeline, but I've found it (at least marginally) helpful to look back at past years' results trends on this site to find out when interviews and decisions are actually released for schools. In the case of most of the schools I applied to, interviews and final decisions are being released well before the published dates on the schools' site. 

4 hours ago, crthomps said:

@sophrodr Not sure about CUNY's timeline, but I've found it (at least marginally) helpful to look back at past years' results trends on this site to find out when interviews and decisions are actually released for schools. In the case of most of the schools I applied to, interviews and final decisions are being released well before the published dates on the schools' site. 

Yes, I am noticing that too. *sigh* I'll be over here anxiously waiting.

-Thank you!

First Acceptance! Woo! Phone call no interview for University of Alabama Tuscaloosa's MA program in Biocultural Medical Anthro. While POI mentioned they almost always find funding for Master's students, no funding as of yet but we shall see! Happy to answer any q's about the program or the process as I learn more. For my other schools I applied for PhD, but this school seemed to work more like the european system where they prefer people start with MA then continue on to PhD if it's a fit. There is a direct to doctorate option though where funding is always guaranteed. 

Does anyone know how many Stanford normally shortlists for interviews versus how many they finally accept? And does everyone interviewed but then rejected end up on a waitlist? Thanks :) 

Also - are we assuming that CUNY acceptances have been and gone at this point? ? 

Edited by anth8

3 hours ago, anth8 said:

Does anyone know how many Stanford normally shortlists for interviews versus how many they finally accept? And does everyone interviewed but then rejected end up on a waitlist? Thanks :) 

Also - are we assuming that CUNY acceptances have been and gone at this point? ? 

Did you receive an interview invite? I saw a few interview posts on the results page and was wondering if they were trolls... 

Just now, joona said:

Did you receive an interview invite? I saw a few interview posts on the results page and was wondering if they were trolls... 

Not trolls, sorry to disappoint. One is me. It's a rather short interview (15 mins) which seems hardly enough time to make or break ones' candidature, so was wondering what ones' chances of rejection are at this point...

10 minutes ago, anth8 said:

Not trolls, sorry to disappoint. One is me. It's a rather short interview (15 mins) which seems hardly enough time to make or break ones' candidature, so was wondering what ones' chances of rejection are at this point...

Oh no please don't apologize! Big congratulations on the interview invite! No matter what the chances are at this point, you're still a step closer. Which is good! :)

So, since it seems invites for the interview round have gone out, I guess I'll gear up for a rejection then.. :(

Issokay I suppose

Congrats to those who received interview invites over the past week!

I have a question about UCLA – does anyone know if they send out interview invites for sociocultural anthro applicants? Last year (based on a gradcafe results search), it seems that one person had a phone interview prior to acceptance but s/he was an archaeology anthro applicant. Nothing about sociocultural anthro folks receiving interview invites though. 

Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks!

4 hours ago, plantenivanten said:

- Does the Anthropology Department at Stanford give any notice if you're waitlisted?

Have you also received no news at all from Stanford? Seems like interview invites went out last week so I'm wondering the same about waitlists etc. 

Also, @anth8 would you mine sharing if you've applied for the culture and society track or the Archaeology track? 

3 hours ago, joona said:

Have you also received no news at all from Stanford? Seems like interview invites went out last week so I'm wondering the same about waitlists etc. 

Also, @anth8 would you mine sharing if you've applied for the culture and society track or the Archaeology track? 

Thank you for your kind words above. I am very sorry to that you're gearing up for a Stanford rej, but you never know what will lie ahead and I am sure it will work out all the best for you.

and yes, I am a cultural applicant. I would imagine the waitlist will be made up of those who are interviewed but not accepted, but of course I am not sure. I just assumed that is how admissions committees operate. (I have assumed I am rejected from Michigan and not waitlisted for example because I did not interview with them)

2 hours ago, bearbonbon said:

Re: Stanford, I was interviewed last year and then rejected so I'm not sure if/how they do a wait list.... Good luck to people being interviewed though!

Sorry to hear this for you, and thanks for the sharing insight! If you do not mind me asking, do you have any tips for the interview process at Stanford? I got rejected after a rather tough UCBerkeley interview last year so I know your feeling / am trying to avoid a similar fate this year ?

Edited by anth8

16 hours ago, joona said:

No, haven't heard anything from Stanford. A friend was accepted off the waitlist last year in March, and he didn't hear anything before that. But since I haven't heard anything and the pandemic has minimized the number of students the different departments take in, I don't wanna get my hopes up. It was a big disappointment when I saw the updates started coming in last week, and I've had another interview for a different anthro department, so I'm trying to focus on that instead now.