Fall 2021 Applications

tundratussocks

3 minutes ago, crthomps said:

@RyanHGSE17

Still all quiet from Austin, though decisions should be imminent (last year it seems they were mid-late Feb). Seems like more and more decisions are rolling out early this week, so it could be any day now. 

Also seems like Austin may be taking very few people though, if the numbers from schools like Cornell (4), Chicago (5), and Michigan (2) are any benchmark...

Where are you getting these numbers from? If the grad cafe results page, I'd say that's not very representative at all. Very few applicants, in our field at least, use this site.

Last year, at UT Austin, per their published admissions statistics, 54 applied to sociocultural anthro, 7 were admitted, 3 enrolled. If you head over to grad cafe results search, only 1 person posted admission to Austin Sociocultural (and only 1 other posted admission to Austin Anthro)..

@RyanHGSE17 Can't say for sure what Austin is planning to do, so I could be wrong! But this year does seem to be a whole new ballgame.

Those numbers are from the departments themselves, unfortunately. Cornell accepted 4 on 187 applications, while Chicago will take 4-6 on more than 300 applications, though I don't think those acceptances have quite gone out yet. 

5 hours ago, crthomps said:

@RyanHGSE17 Can't say for sure what Austin is planning to do, so I could be wrong! But this year does seem to be a whole new ballgame.

Those numbers are from the departments themselves, unfortunately. Cornell accepted 4 on 187 applications, while Chicago will take 4-6 on more than 300 applications, though I don't think those acceptances have quite gone out yet. 

I’m pretty sure UChicago acceptances have gone out, and anyone who hasn’t heard back yet might be on the waitlist.

Well, my last two programs I'm waiting on are UCLA and UChicago, but it looks like they've both distributed their acceptances already. It's difficult because I'm questioning whether the difficulties of this year played a large role, or if I'm just not good enough for the programs I'm pushing for. A faculty member from my undergrad program is pushing me to try and get into a MA program since there are some still taking applications right now, but I'm honestly financially terrified of terminal MA programs due to their expenses. Is anyone else struggling with what to do moving forward/coming up with a game plan for the next year? 

To everyone still in the game, I wish you luck!

2 hours ago, anth_lola said:

Well, my last two programs I'm waiting on are UCLA and UChicago, but it looks like they've both distributed their acceptances already. It's difficult because I'm questioning whether the difficulties of this year played a large role, or if I'm just not good enough for the programs I'm pushing for. A faculty member from my undergrad program is pushing me to try and get into a MA program since there are some still taking applications right now, but I'm honestly financially terrified of terminal MA programs due to their expenses. Is anyone else struggling with what to do moving forward/coming up with a game plan for the next year? 

To everyone still in the game, I wish you luck!

Hello! I'm in a very similar boat — waiting to hear back from my last PhD application, but pretty much prepared that I will get rejects from all the PhD programs I applied to. 

I was kind of anticipating that this cycle would be super competitive, so I ended up not even applying for Chicago's PhD and instead directly to their MAPSS program with hopes for a full or sizable tuition reimbursement. I do know they commonly offer MAPSS admission to PhD applicants that aren't accepted, so that would be something to look out for. I have read that you can also petition for more funding, though the cost can definitely be prohibitive even with discounts. 

I also applied to a few other terminal MAs in related fields that have historically offered funding, but given the state of the world, I'm not sure how much $$ they will have this year. I would consider applying again next cycle if I didn't get any funding anywhere, but TBH I'm also not sure how much more competitive my application would be, nor can I be certain about the long-term effects of COVID on funding availability. Really don't know whether I would bite the bullet or not! 

I think your professor's feedback is good though — research programs are still accepting applications and maybe put in an application, at least as a safety option. 

Wishing you luck too and keeping fingers crossed for you!

@crthomps I didn’t, unfortunately. Just waiting on Stanford now.

@anth_lola I have a few faculty contacts across a few anthro departments nationally, and they all said this year has been especially brutal. They’ve gotten hundreds of more applications because people have had more time to apply and think about applying — and there’s probably something to be said about existentialist phenomena, like pandemics, pushing people towards graduate programs. And in addition to a great volume of applications, departments’ limited funding has allowed them to take much fewer people than in normal years. So a dual disadvantage there that I don’t think says much about you as an academic.

One other thing I heard is that many departments have taken mostly applicants that already have MAs. I personally don’t have one and I won’t be getting one — I think it can be a waste of money for something who plans on doing a PhD anyways.

I’m going to spend more time researching my topic, reading, sending my research proposal to different professors I know for their input on it, and finding a way to add a more provocative twist to it.

Anyways, I wish you all luck! And take time to be sad and frustrated about this cycle (it sucks after so much time spent on applications and waiting), but don’t be discouraged! 

@anthropobean Thanks for the kind words. The support of others in this situation has meant a lot through this process, which has, since mid-January, been confusing, exhausting, and downright depressing. Sorry to hear about Chicago, though it seems you have a great growth mindset surrounding this whole situation. Best of luck with Stanford!

If we are not hearing back for interviews does this mean we will most likely be rejected?

Reading through this discussion board has helped confirm how competitive this cycle really is. Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

1 hour ago, sophrodr said:

If we are not hearing back for interviews does this mean we will most likely be rejected?

Reading through this discussion board has helped confirm how competitive this cycle really is. Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

I think it depends on the program-- some interview, some don't. But if people have reported interviews already and you haven't received one within like a week or so of them I would say probably ....

22 hours ago, bearbonbon said:

I think it depends on the program-- some interview, some don't. But if people have reported interviews already and you haven't received one within like a week or so of them I would say probably ....

I see, thank you!

Also, has anyone heard back from UCLA? I read in the results page, that someone said admittances were sent out already but not rejections...any little information helps :)

On 2/10/2021 at 12:15 AM, crthomps said:

Holy shit that's low.

Thank you those of you who responded to me for the kind words and insight!

So, I did not receive an interview from UChicago, but I saw that rejections went out today and I did not receive one either. Anyone else in this boat? I'm thinking this means we may be referred to MAPSS...but there were some notices in the results page indicating some applicants had already  been rejected but offered MAPSS spots to some applicants?

Edited by anth_lola

5 hours ago, anth_lola said:

Welp, there is it. Received notification from UChicago - a very kind message stating that while they could not offer a spot in their PhD program, they did refer my application to MAPSS. Fingers crossed for an acceptance and good funding so that maybe I can go!

Same with Comparative Human Development at UChicago PhD

On 2/11/2021 at 8:05 PM, sophrodr said:

I see, thank you!

Also, has anyone heard back from UCLA? I read in the results page, that someone said admittances were sent out already but not rejections...any little information helps :)

I spoke to a current student there and they basically said until you hear don't assume either way :) I think they're taking longer this year to send out decisions just because of the sheer volume of applicants they had compared to previous years, so it may take a little longer to hear back! Also I believe (but correct me if I am wrong) the different tracks within Anth send out their decisions at diff times, so like social may have sent out their decisions but cultural may not have yet etc - sorry I don't have more to add! 

Thought I'd chime in - I'm still waiting to hear back from Georgia anthropology, UTSA anthropology, and Dartmouth Evolution, Ecology, Environment and Society (EEES). I got rejected by UT-Austin.

Otherwise I've gotten two acceptances. 

Edited by Ilikekitties

Any advice on what to expect for CUNY interviews for those who have had? I have one coming up but they haven't given any details (how long, how many people will interview me etc). Juts one faculty emailed me to say they can answer my Qs about the program and get to know me which seems quite chill compared to others. Thanks to anyone who can offer advice on what to expect...