Fall 2021 Applications

tundratussocks

On 1/28/2021 at 3:12 AM, joona said:

Hello! Just checking in to see if the person who posted the Stanford interview invite is lurking on this forum? Wanted to know which track they are applying to! 

I got interviews at Stanford and UChicago Anthro, among other places... both sociocultural.

4 hours ago, bearbonbon said:

Re: Stanford, I was interviewed last year and then rejected so I'm not sure if/how they do a wait list.... Good luck to people being interviewed though!

What was the interview like? Was it also 15 minutes?

5 hours ago, bearbonbon said:

@anth8 From what I remembered it was an interview with 3 people, including someone from a different subfield from mine. They asked a lot about specifics of my research/background reading so I would try to be well versed in that!

Thanks so much, that is very helpful. Good luck with everything for yourself this yea :) 

Received my first official decision from UCSD and it was a rejection. Really disappointed and not feeling good because I really felt like this program was such a good fit for myself, my interests and background.

Three other programs I applied to sent out interviews, but I didn't get one so I am expecting rejections there as well. Although two of those were my last choices. Banking on my final two programs I applied to, but my confidence is dwindling. This sucks.

11 minutes ago, anth_lola said:

Received my first official decision from UCSD and it was a rejection. Really disappointed and not feeling good because I really felt like this program was such a good fit for myself, my interests and background.

Three other programs I applied to sent out interviews, but I didn't get one so I am expecting rejections there as well. Although two of those were my last choices. Banking on my final two programs I applied to, but my confidence is dwindling. This sucks.

Sorry to hear about UCSD. Fingers crossed for you for positives from the other two programs!!

I think it's just been a difficult year, which sucks because not everyone can wait an extra year or try again next cycle. Even programs that said they're having a normal application cycle are taking in way fewer students, which surprised me. I also didn't hear back from programs I thought were a really good fit and where faculty encouraged me to apply/said my application would be competitive (maybe that's just boilerplate lol).

Anyone with a CUNY invite who was physical anthropology? (I know most were cultural but a few were unlabeled and figured I'd ask).

On 1/26/2021 at 2:01 PM, samur said:

Also @ anyone who has had an interview:

1. is there any sense of whether schools know if they will be offering in-person classes in the fall? 

2. what sort of questions were asked, beyond the usual ones? any about COVID circumstances affecting research, etc?

3. were you asked about external funding you had applied for (grants, fellowships, etc) - through the institution or otherwise?

I have not had any interview invites yet, but UC Davis (I applied animal behavior, not anth) did send out an email stating "We write to inform you that we expect that instruction and research operations will return to pre-pandemic, in-person delivery at the start of the next academic year in September 2021. " I think that's a pretty big stretch for them to call this early though. The email was labeled "UC Davis Graduate Admissions: Planning for Fall 2021" and my heart skipped a beat thinking it was an decision. Alas, just a general update.

@Medinari I had the same question. I’m not sure but I think CUNY’s BioAnth program runs on a different timeline than Cultural? Even the application deadlines were different with Cultural’s being two weeks earlier. Based on the results page, it looks like some applicants in Bioanth in the past were offered interviews early to mid February, and that decisions were typically given late February to Early March. Obviously I’m not 100% sure but I think the interviews/decisions are all from cultural applicants so far—wishing you good news in the coming weeks! 

7 hours ago, anth_lola said:

Even on a normal year all that is possible even as a great applicant with good fit. 

I got a UCSD rejection as well. I had connected to 3 POIs and even strategized with one to propose a lab rotation of sorts so they might be able to justify me if one person didn't have the numbers but not even that helped in the end! 

One POI (AN) mentioned she only had one slot this year and had mentioned to me before applying that even though their admissions were open there would be a much smaller cohort. 

*Sending supportive vibes* 

I may be making the 2022 thread before this month is out at this rate...

5 minutes ago, neurotransmitori said:

Even on a normal year all that is possible even as a great applicant with good fit. 

I got a UCSD rejection as well. I had connected to 3 POIs and even strategized with one to propose a lab rotation of sorts so they might be able to justify me if one person didn't have the numbers but not even that helped in the end! 

One POI (AN) mentioned she only had one slot this year and had mentioned to me before applying that even though their admissions were open there would be a much smaller cohort. 

*Sending supportive vibes* 

I may be making the 2022 thread before this month is out at this rate...

Thanks - to you as well! 

11 hours ago, bearbonbon said:

I know one professor I talked with recently said applications basically doubled from the regular amount at their program this year because of Covid and such so yeah... definitely a difficult application year ?

thank you for sharing this. 

Hi all! Just checking back in after some time and wishing the best for everyone this week into next. I got my first official decision today, which was a rejection from Princeton. Not how I wanted to start this out, but it's the reality, and now it's up to me to figure out how to process this in a healthy way. 

I still have 2 good chances, so we'll see how it all plays out. This is feeling more and more like playing the lottery though.

Best of luck to everyone in the coming days and weeks, and I'll check back in when I hear more. 

Since decisions have started rolling in, I wanted to wish everyone good luck! Admissions to anthro seems so random and there’s a lot of luck involved—I think that’s probably even more true this year with COVID and fewer spots. I’m hoping to see a lot of acceptances in this thread, but a gentle reminder that a rejection says nothing about your ability to be a great anthropologist. One of my fav grad students was rejected by all schools for the first 2 application seasons, but in that third application season, had a wave of acceptances... stay strong y’all. We got this! 

Edited by anthrobrain
Clarity... my brain doesn’t work as well at night lol

On 10/12/2020 at 8:00 AM, YS90 said:

Hey, 

It seems the Anthropology forum is non existent this year. Anyone want to share his/hers thoughts about the upcoming cycle? How does COVID impact your decision to where you're applying? 

I'm applying for several departments: Chicago, Michigan, Yale, Brandeis and UC Santa Cruz. My work is on socio-environmental themes in the middle east.

Lets help each other, or at least support during this arduous journey. Best of luck to us all!

Have you heard anything from Yale? Seems like there's some interviews in the results page, but I hope they haven't finished inviting. I had an interview with Brandeis last week and hoping to hear from them again soon.

To anyone curious about Stanford: applicants who either will be admitted or on their waitlist have already been interviewed. Applicants who did not receive an invitation to be interviewed can count that as a rejection :( 

I'm honestly bummed about this, I communicated with a POI at Stanford in October who encouraged me to apply and offered some advice on phrasing for my project. 

Also got a rejection email from Michigan, even after submitting a FLAS application at their request. 

Hello fellow anthro applicants! I was wondering if anyone applied for Penn State Anthro program heard any updates yet? I know they did their interviews in jan, anyone who have completed their interview heard back about next steps?

@RyanHGSE17

Still all quiet from Austin, though decisions should be imminent (last year it seems they were mid-late Feb). Seems like more and more decisions are rolling out early this week, so it could be any day now. 

Also seems like Austin may be taking very few people though, if the numbers from schools like Cornell (4), Chicago (5), and Michigan (2) are any benchmark...