NSERC PGS D 2021-2022

MarleyBarley

Also applying for the second time this year! Hoping for better results.

Does anyone know if it is frowned upon if you don't majorly change your research proposal topic? Like are the committee members the same from last year?

Thanks!

22 hours ago, rawberry1 said:

This is my first time applying through an institution. Does anyone know if the status should change to "approved" soon as the schools submit their applications?

Mine last year changed from "Submitted" to "Received" once the university submitted my application to NSERC.

8 minutes ago, SalmoSalar said:

Mine last year changed from "Submitted" to "Received" once the university submitted my application to NSERC.

Thanks! Do you remember roughly what time last year? The administrator told me the review process was complete and they submitted things to nserc by October 16 last year. I figure it's the first stage of possible rejection, so I'm checking my status every day.

Just now, rawberry1 said:

Thanks! Do you remember roughly what time last year? The administrator told me the review process was complete and they submitted things to nserc by October 16 last year. I figure it's the first stage of possible rejection, so I'm checking my status every day.

Last year my university notified me whether my application was being forwarded to the national competition or not via email three weeks after applications were due. So this year applications were due on October 13, so I do not expect to hear from the university until at least November 3. At this point they also let me fix any formatting issues that the panel noticed when reviewing my application. I had a week and a half to resubmit before they forwarded my application to NSERC. 

I do not know if this is standard practice across universities, but I would give it more time. Also, your university should be contacting you either way.

Just now, SalmoSalar said:

Last year my university notified me whether my application was being forwarded to the national competition or not via email three weeks after applications were due. So this year applications were due on October 13, so I do not expect to hear from the university until at least November 3. At this point they also let me fix any formatting issues that the panel noticed when reviewing my application. I had a week and a half to resubmit before they forwarded my application to NSERC. 

I do not know if this is standard practice across universities, but I would give it more time. Also, your university should be contacting you either way.

Ahh ok, thanks a lot! That answers all of my questions!

On 10/16/2020 at 9:05 AM, SalmoSalar said:

I had the same experience, however I didn't hear back from my institution until November 19th ish and I had two or three days to make changes before it was sent to NSERC.

Most universities will have an application timeline somewhere online. I've included UWaterloo's -- hopefully it helps ease some anxieties!! 

https://uwaterloo.ca/graduate-studies-postdoctoral-affairs/current-students/external-awards/waterloos-nserc-doctoral-pgscgs-timeline

• 3 weeks later...

Hi my friends, 

Any updates on your side? I just got to know I have been selected by my university to go to the next round. Excited but also dont think i will get it .... Its my first time applying and its not as if im at Waterloo/McGill/UBC/UofT where the applicants are prolly stronger. 

NSERC PGS-D Math/ Stats at Universite Laval :

Current Status: Selected

FQRNT

Current Status: Eligible. 

I think i should prepare myself to apply again next year. I see many of you here seems to be applying for the 2nd time :(

Edited by MarleyBarley

7 hours ago, SalmoSalar said:

I received news on Monday from my university (Memorial University) that my application will move forward to the national competition. Best of luck to everyone!

wow its rare to see someone from MUN :o  I am a MUN alumni (did my undergrad there!). I miss newfoundland! ?

Good luck!

On 10/21/2020 at 6:26 AM, user907438 said:

I had the same experience, however I didn't hear back from my institution until November 19th ish and I had two or three days to make changes before it was sent to NSERC.

Most universities will have an application timeline somewhere online. I've included UWaterloo's -- hopefully it helps ease some anxieties!! 

https://uwaterloo.ca/graduate-studies-postdoctoral-affairs/current-students/external-awards/waterloos-nserc-doctoral-pgscgs-timeline

Thats awesome. My university does not allow any changes after the internal competition. I don't get it but seriously, I thought it was in their interest to let us edit one more time before the final submission

• 1 month later...

Has anyone received an email from the uOttawa selection committee for CGS-D / PGS-D ? The notification of success is typically sent at the end of November, but this year, nothing on my end.  Leads me to believe in either failure to progress or some uncommunicated result/delay. 

Edited by PasserBy

3 hours ago, PasserBy said:

Has anyone received an email from the uOttawa selection committee for CGS-D / PGS-D ? The notification of success is typically sent at the end of November, but this year, nothing on my end.  Leads me to believe in either failure to progress or some uncommunicated result/delay. 

Not from UOttawa but did you check NSERC portal. if your NSERC portal status reflects as received, it means your application was forwarded to the national level. if it stays as submitted, then most likely you didnt get selected. 

19 hours ago, CatsandGraphs said:

I am from UOttawa and my status on the NSERC portal was changed to received. I am guessing because of the strike, they didn't have the time to send emails. 

Can confirm this is correct. NSERC emailed me this morning and also stated as much. 

Thank you everyone for your responses, I appreciated them! 

• 4 weeks later...

Reaching out to see if anyone on here knows how EDI considerations will be incorporated into the evaluation criteria/scoring? For example:

1) Will applications will be penalized for not incorporating sex, gender and diversity considerations into the research design, methods, analysis and interpretation, and/or dissemination of results?

2) Will applications be scored/evaluated based on the quality of the applicant's explanation for not including diversity considerations into the proposed research design? Or is the content within this portion of the application not evaluated with scrutiny/given a specific score or weight? I noticed that it wasn't listed as a criteria in Appendix A: Selection criteria and indicators for scholarship applications of the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships—Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships Programs

Thanks

On 1/16/2021 at 11:37 AM, Pouty_Scouty said:

Reaching out to see if anyone on here knows how EDI considerations will be incorporated into the evaluation criteria/scoring? For example:

1) Will applications will be penalized for not incorporating sex, gender and diversity considerations into the research design, methods, analysis and interpretation, and/or dissemination of results?

2) Will applications be scored/evaluated based on the quality of the applicant's explanation for not including diversity considerations into the proposed research design? Or is the content within this portion of the application not evaluated with scrutiny/given a specific score or weight? I noticed that it wasn't listed as a criteria in Appendix A: Selection criteria and indicators for scholarship applications of the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships—Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships Programs

Thanks

My first reaction is NO. Some research simply don't have the EDI components and if you force-tweak your proposal to include EDI, you fall victims of platitude which actually works against your application. The best you can do in this scenario is to put out a good explanation on why the research has nothing to do with EDI. 

• 1 month later...