NSERC PGS D 2021-2022

MarleyBarley

So I have a silly question: If one does get an NSERC, are they able to keep smaller departmental awards (less than $10 k per year) and research assistantships? Or do they have to decline those? 

Edited by Pouty_Scouty

5 minutes ago, Pouty_Scouty said:

So I have a silly question: If one does get an NSERC, are they able to keep smaller departmental awards (less than $10 k a year) and research assistantships? Or so they have to decline those? 

It depends on the award- will state whether you cannot hold both NSERC and X award. 

2 minutes ago, potatocomputer said:

I just received the CGS-D today so it looks like they are being sent out this week.

Congrats!!!!!! did your dept notify you? or was it through extranet? 

Edited by MarleyBarley

2 minutes ago, KristenBill said:

Congrats!!!! What institution are you at???

1 minute ago, Pouty_Scouty said:

Congratulations!! Did NSERC email you directly?

Thanks! I just realized this is NSERC eh! I went through CIHR @ U of T, so maybe that's why it's a bit earlier?

Edit: and yeah they emailed me

Edited by potatocomputer

Just now, potatocomputer said:

Thanks! I just realized this is NSERC eh! I went through CIHR @ U of T, so maybe that's why it's a bit earlier?

Ah, that makes sense. NSERC seems to be a bit delayed this year..

2 hours ago, potatocomputer said:

Edit: and yeah they emailed me

Omg I swear you gave me a heart attack! ? So it's a different scholarship, yeah?

Congratulations though! That's awesome!

6 hours ago, Pouty_Scouty said:

So I have a silly question: If one does get an NSERC, are they able to keep smaller departmental awards (less than $10 k per year) and research assistantships? Or do they have to decline those? 

I think it depends on the award/the institution's specific rules about which awards can be held together.  Fingers crossed, maybe you'll get NSERC and keep both! 

3 hours ago, illuminatice said:

Word on the street is that my department at UofT has received the list of winners from NSERC. Can they just give us poor students the results already?

"now is not the time for fear, that comes later". I think we are now in the "later" part. It's approaching guys! Best of luck to everyone:)

22 hours ago, illuminatice said:

Word on the street is that my department at UofT has received the list of winners from NSERC. Can they just give us poor students the results already?

Oh exciting! I might poke admin at Carleton and see what they say.

Edited by jennakinskywalker
Spelling

Just now, jennakinskywalker said:

Update: Carleton says they haven't heard anything. :(

That sounds like what someone who knows something would say.... ?

Just kidding, haha! But wow, that was a very quick response from them.

2 minutes ago, illuminatice said:

That sounds like what someone who knows something would say.... ?

Just kidding, haha! But wow, that was a very quick response from them.

Ahahaha, right?

The grad admin here is so speedy! She's probably fielding the exact same email all of the time now and just copy-pastes her answers at this point. 

7 minutes ago, MarleyBarley said:

10 more days to go... this is taking longer than filing for immigration... 

I have to stop myself from checking my emails every 5 minutes! It doesn't help that I have a first draft of my proposal due at the end of the month (I have been procrastinating HARD). 

What are you working on right now for your project?

23 minutes ago, jennakinskywalker said:

I have to stop myself from checking my emails every 5 minutes! It doesn't help that I have a first draft of my proposal due at the end of the month (I have been procrastinating HARD). 

What are you working on right now for your project?

I keep checked my email/twitter every 15 mins to see. Definitely taking over too much mental space. I am currently working on field prep/planning (which may not happen)