NSERC PGS D 2021-2022

MarleyBarley

Just now, KristenBill said:

I keep checked my email/twitter every 15 mins to see. Definitely taking over too much mental space. I am currently working on field prep/planning (which may not happen)

I feel you about field prep! I'm trying to figure out 2 versions of my thesis - one with fieldwork and one without. 

What kind of fieldwork will you (hopefully!) do?

2 minutes ago, jennakinskywalker said:

I feel you about field prep! I'm trying to figure out 2 versions of my thesis - one with fieldwork and one without. 

What kind of fieldwork will you (hopefully!) do?

I'll be working in NWT trying to understand the influence of land cover change on water quality for indigenous communities. 

What about you?

Edited by KristenBill

28 minutes ago, jennakinskywalker said:

I have to stop myself from checking my emails every 5 minutes! It doesn't help that I have a first draft of my proposal due at the end of the month (I have been procrastinating HARD). 

What are you working on right now for your project?

im just studying for my finals! Are you taking classes or are you past that stage?! You got this!!! ^_^ 

Just now, KristenBill said:

I'll be working in NWT trying to understand the influence of land cover change on water quality for indigenous communities. 

What about you?

That's really cool! I'm looking at novel forestry management practices to manage the spread the mountain pine beetle in BC, AB, and SK. Largely focused on community perspectives of risk and values. So no measuring trees but lots of talking to people in person - which is not a good call in a pandemic! 

Travelling up north is probably off the table too, huh?

8 minutes ago, jennakinskywalker said:

That's really cool! I'm looking at novel forestry management practices to manage the spread the mountain pine beetle in BC, AB, and SK. Largely focused on community perspectives of risk and values. So no measuring trees but lots of talking to people in person - which is not a good call in a pandemic! 

Travelling up north is probably off the table too, huh?

Very cool! Quite a widespread landscape to cover! If you have twitter follow me: @kristenebill! 

So far there is no decision to cancel, which may change. 

55 minutes ago, MarleyBarley said:

im just studying for my finals! Are you taking classes or are you past that stage?! You got this!!! ^_^ 

In my program (Bio) I only have to take 2 classes over the 4 years! The rest is all independent study. So no finals for me this term! 

I hope yours go well!

I'm a PhD student at UoGuelph. Been checking my email and this forum religiously the past few days... 

On a different note, UoG does not require PhD students to take any courses or seminars (at least in my department - human health and nutritional sciences). Their focus is to do research and be productive I guess. My research focus is on muscle cell mechanics (under the biomechanics umbrella). 

If anyone uses twitter, give me a ?️ @ParisMashouri. 

7 hours ago, ParisMashouri said:

I'm a PhD student at UoGuelph. Been checking my email and this forum religiously the past few days... 

On a different note, UoG does not require PhD students to take any courses or seminars (at least in my department - human health and nutritional sciences). Their focus is to do research and be productive I guess. My research focus is on muscle cell mechanics (under the biomechanics umbrella). 

If anyone uses twitter, give me a ?️ @ParisMashouri. 

Hello and welcome! Do you guys have comprehensive exams then if there arent courses? 

I am a PhD student from UoGuelph too from the Chemistry department. Atleast in our department, we are required to take two graduate courses. Also, it is mandatory we do and pass the oral comprehensive exam in the second semester of our PhD studies. In terms of the comprehensive exams, it differs from program to programs. I know a collegue in Pyschology/Neuroscience who is in their second year (6th semester), almost entering their 3rd year PhD and still have not done their comprehensive exams. 

Anyways, I have been religiously rephreshing this page, my email and visiting the NSERC portal several times. 

I just want to get over it. 

Hi all,

I'm a PhD Candidate at Guelph too! I'm in Molecular and Cellular Biology, we are required to take two courses plus we have the PhD candidacy exam. I did not do a Masters, so I did my comprehensive exam in my 6th semester (one early because of COVID) so I think its semester 5 if you have a masters and semester 7 if you do direct entry!

Fingers crossed the results come out today! Im just so sick of waiting around for it.

1 hour ago, Walczyka said:

Hi all,

I'm a PhD Candidate at Guelph too! I'm in Molecular and Cellular Biology, we are required to take two courses plus we have the PhD candidacy exam. I did not do a Masters, so I did my comprehensive exam in my 6th semester (one early because of COVID) so I think its semester 5 if you have a masters and semester 7 if you do direct entry!

Fingers crossed the results come out today! Im just so sick of waiting around for it.

SAME! I'd honestly rather just hear that I didn't get it at this point, instead of being in the twilight zone. 

1 minute ago, ParisMashouri said:

SAME! I'd honestly rather just hear that I didn't get it at this point, instead of being in the twilight zone. 

I'm honestly okay with not getting it... I was close last year and since of COVID I havent made much progress so I'm not expecting much.... but I want people to get NSERC and decline OGS so maybe I have a shot at that!!! Being in this twilight zone sucks cause I can't focus on anything else.

I emailed the awards officer at UofT.

"Regrettably, the NSERC and SSHRC doctoral results have not been released yet. The university gets the same timeline as the applicants and we usually find out about the results at the same time.

Last year we received results on April 17th for NSERC and April 30 for SSHRC so, hopefully any day now."

38 minutes ago, physboy said:

I emailed the awards officer at UofT.

"Regrettably, the NSERC and SSHRC doctoral results have not been released yet. The university gets the same timeline as the applicants and we usually find out about the results at the same time.

Last year we received results on April 17th for NSERC and April 30 for SSHRC so, hopefully any day now."

UGHHH! The wait is so dreadful. 

1 hour ago, Walczyka said:

I'm honestly okay with not getting it... I was close last year and since of COVID I havent made much progress so I'm not expecting much.... but I want people to get NSERC and decline OGS so maybe I have a shot at that!!! Being in this twilight zone sucks cause I can't focus on anything else.

Totally - I'm not expecting to get an NSERC.  I just want them to release the results so that people can decline the OGS, as I was waitlisted for that one. The wait is dreadful...

I emailed one of the contact emails at NSERC and got this response:

"Hello,

Due to technical circumstances, the results of the PGSD Award 2021 competition are expected to be released by the end of the month.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Kristofferson Tandoc (he/him, il/lui)

Program Assistant | Adjoint de programmes

Scholarships and Fellowships | Programmes de bourses

Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada | Conseil de Recherches en Sciences Naturelles et en Génie du Canada"

So. At least a person answered?

39 minutes ago, jennakinskywalker said:

I emailed one of the contact emails at NSERC and got this response:

"Hello,

Due to technical circumstances, the results of the PGSD Award 2021 competition are expected to be released by the end of the month.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Kristofferson Tandoc (he/him, il/lui)

Program Assistant | Adjoint de programmes

Scholarships and Fellowships | Programmes de bourses

Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada | Conseil de Recherches en Sciences Naturelles et en Génie du Canada"

So. At least a person answered?

Roughly the same email I received as well. What I'd really like to know is what said "technical circumstances" are...

19 hours ago, aenzenh said:

I wonder why they don't just send out an email to all the applicants if they know they are delayed. It would save a lot of time as compared to answering every student individually.

The same thing happens every year. If you scroll through last year's thread, it's like this one looking in a mirror. They're not gonna change now.