NSERC PGS D 2021-2022

MarleyBarley

20 minutes ago, Walczyka said:

Im not 100% sure but last year it kinda seemed that way!

What are the committees? I've seen people mentioning different numbers but was never 100% sure what they were referring to. 

Edited by jennakinskywalker
Spelling

1 minute ago, jennakinskywalker said:

What are the committees? I've seen people mentioning different numbers but was never 100% sure what they were referring to. 

I think they are the committees that applications were assigned to award NSERCs. There are a bunch of committees that applications went to. 

1 minute ago, jennakinskywalker said:

Didn't you have to choose a committee to review your app on your Nserc application? Its a way to match you with experts specifically in your field

6 minutes ago, jennakinskywalker said:

You will have selected a committee when you filled out your application! It gets assigned when you choose your 'research subject code'. Check page 3 of your Form 201. It's in the top right hand corner. My committee is 4700 (evolution and ecology), specifically 4705 (ecotoxicology). Here's the list of codes: NSERC - Code Tables (nserc-crsng.gc.ca)

However, sometimes if they think your proposal fits better into a different category, your committee can be changed at their discretion!

Edited by illuminatice

4 minutes ago, illuminatice said:

You will have selected a committee when you filled out your application! It gets assigned when you choose your 'research subject code'. Check page 3 of your Form 201. It's in the top right hand corner. Mine is committee is 4700, specifically 4705, which is evolution and ecology- ecotoxicology. Here's the list: NSERC - Code Tables (nserc-crsng.gc.ca)

However, sometimes if they think your proposal fits better into a different category, your committee can be changed at their discretion!

Ahhh, I hadn't realized that the Proposed Field and Subject Code matched exactly to "committee" since the wording is different.

There's also this list of committees online, if anyone else is interested: https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/NSERC-CRSNG/committees-comites/programs-programmes_eng.asp

5 minutes ago, jennakinskywalker said:

Ahhh, I hadn't realized that the Proposed Field and Subject Code matched exactly to "committee" since the wording is different.

There's also this list of committees online, if anyone else is interested: https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/NSERC-CRSNG/committees-comites/programs-programmes_eng.asp

Here are the specific committees for scholarships and fellowships. https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Help-Aide/ScholarshipCodes-CodesPourBourses_Eng.asp

"The research subject code entered on the application will determine the selection committee in which the application will be evaluated. NSERC may assign the application to a different committee if it is determined that the subject matter is more appropriate for another committee."

Edited by BethL

1 minute ago, Pouty_Scouty said:

For folks who applied last year, how long was it between the login info going out and the actual results? Just curious if we should anticipate getting the news before Friday?

I was checking my emails from last year and we got the results the next day. But we were told that we were going to get the results by April 16th 11:59PM, which ended up being later than that for other people....

No surprise there...

This was the exact email we got last year...

"""

Hello,

In order to ensure that you receive your results of the 2020 NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships and Canada Graduate Scholarships – Doctoral (PGS/CGS D) competition in a timely manner, NSERC has developed a new extranet site to securely share this information electronically.

To support this process, you will be receiving two system-generated emails from NSERC prompting you to access your new account on the NSERC Scholarships and Fellowships Extranet. The first email will contain a link to the Extranet as well as your username, and the second email will contain your password. Once you log into your account, you will be able to access award information such as your notification of results letter for the recent PGS/CGS D competition, which will be available on April 16 before 11:59 p.m. (ET). If you do not receive the system-generated emails within two days from the date of this email, first check your spam email folder and then contact us at schol@nserc-crsng.gc.ca

Sincerely,

NSERC Scholarships and Fellowships Division

"""

Last name Z and I got the login this morning. Note that this is the second time (and final) I am applying so I do have the login and password from last year. It seems that I do not need to re-create another account (i.e. I can just use what I got from last year). The interface has changed though as the folder and feedback files from last year were gone. 

Now the waiting game has officially started !!! Good luck everyone!

20 minutes ago, UltraVioletA said:

This was the exact email we got last year...

"""

Hello,

In order to ensure that you receive your results of the 2020 NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships and Canada Graduate Scholarships – Doctoral (PGS/CGS D) competition in a timely manner, NSERC has developed a new extranet site to securely share this information electronically.

To support this process, you will be receiving two system-generated emails from NSERC prompting you to access your new account on the NSERC Scholarships and Fellowships Extranet. The first email will contain a link to the Extranet as well as your username, and the second email will contain your password. Once you log into your account, you will be able to access award information such as your notification of results letter for the recent PGS/CGS D competition, which will be available on April 16 before 11:59 p.m. (ET). If you do not receive the system-generated emails within two days from the date of this email, first check your spam email folder and then contact us at schol@nserc-crsng.gc.ca

Sincerely,

NSERC Scholarships and Fellowships Division

"""

The wording seems to be a bit more vague this year...so who really knows what to think. Sigh..

Just now, Pouty_Scouty said:

The wording seems to be a bit more vague this year...so who really knows what to think. Sigh..

Yeah, they very intentionally changed the wording from "on April 16th" (last year) to "by April 30th" (this year). So I feel like it could be any time now. Apparently the postdoctoral applicants received an email with similar wording and got theirs 1-2 days later? I recall reading that somewhere upthread, but correct me if I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, KristenBill said:

Are we expecting an email to tell us that the portal has been updated or should we just periodically visit the extranet??

They did say we would get an email when results are uploaded, but I don't know how quick or accurate they are with it. Any applicants from last year that can comment on that?

2 minutes ago, KristenBill said:

Are we expecting an email to tell us that the portal has been updated or should we just periodically visit the extranet??

We should get an email when the results are ready, according to the extrnet email:

Note: You will be notified via email when the results become available.

Just now, illuminatice said:

They did say we would get an email when results are uploaded, but I don't know how quick or accurate they are with it. Any applicants from last year that can comment on that?

We were told last year that the results would be updated on ExtraNet. So we did not receive an email to check for our results. I am assuming this year they will based on the wording from this year's email.

This is my first time applying (and last opportunity to apply based on the cutoffs). It's all or nothing for me! I'm feeling so antsy and can't fully focus on anything. 

Good luck everyone! It's been great to be able to vent and chat back and forth with you all. ?

3 minutes ago, illuminatice said:

This is my first time applying (and last opportunity to apply based on the cutoffs). It's all or nothing for me! I'm feeling so antsy and can't fully focus on anything. 

Good luck everyone! It's been great to be able to vent and chat back and forth with you all. ?

yeah its been great getting to talk with different people here... 

i cant really concentrate this week too :( refactoring code doing assignment and studying half-heartedly... T_T 

8 minutes ago, MarleyBarley said:

yeah its been great getting to talk with different people here... 

i cant really concentrate this week too :( refactoring code doing assignment and studying half-heartedly... T_T 

I'm so happy I stumbled across this forum so that I have other people to talk too! I don't know anyone else from my program in the NSERC competition this year, so this has been great. 

Since I'm marking a 2nd year Animal Bio exam right now I thought I'd share my favourite answer to brighten everyone's day: "the bird lung is stuff and does not change in volume"

Best of luck to everyone!