NSERC PGS D 2021-2022

MarleyBarley

Hello! Good luck to everyone! For any anxious lurkers out there that haven't received an email from NSERC yet, it may be because you applied for a CGS-M NSERC COVID research extension grant and your extranet logins are deep in your email from August 2020, you won't be receiving an email with your logins but your old login and profile will have the results. Save yourself from emailing your supervisor, the lovely grad admin in your department, NSERC and having a minor heart attack on a Monday morning. 

2 minutes ago, jennakinskywalker said:

I'm so happy I stumbled across this forum so that I have other people to talk too! I don't know anyone else from my program in the NSERC competition this year, so this has been great. 

Since I'm marking a 2nd year Animal Bio exam right now I thought I'd share my favourite answer to brighten everyone's day: "the bird lung is stuff and does not change in volume"

Best of luck to everyone!

:o how big is your cohort? 

Just now, MarleyBarley said:

:o how big is your cohort? 

My uni has a huge bio department, and my lab is about ~10 students. There's only 1 other PhD in my lab and she's funded through another external grant. Since I started during the pandemic I haven't actually met anyone outside of my own lab . . . 

So as far as I know, there isn't anyone else. But there probably is, I just have never met them!

I think there's another Carleton bio person somewhere on this board? If so, hi!

6 minutes ago, jennakinskywalker said:

My uni has a huge bio department, and my lab is about ~10 students. There's only 1 other PhD in my lab and she's funded through another external grant. Since I started during the pandemic I haven't actually met anyone outside of my own lab . . . 

So as far as I know, there isn't anyone else. But there probably is, I just have never met them!

Hi! I'm the other soon to be Carleton student here! I'm joining the Fahrig lab in September :)

4 minutes ago, jennakinskywalker said:

nice nice! i guess small cohort means more attention from supervisor? :D 

i miss ottawa, my last city before moving here to quebec was Ottawa. i regret not exploring parliament house and all before leaving. 

the only thing i dont miss is the public transit in ottawa... the number of times the bus was behind schedule and oh the new train system... number of times it broke down during peak hours... :)

1 hour ago, MarleyBarley said:

nice nice! i guess small cohort means more attention from supervisor? :D 

i miss ottawa, my last city before moving here to quebec was Ottawa. i regret not exploring parliament house and all before leaving. 

the only thing i dont miss is the public transit in ottawa... the number of times the bus was behind schedule and oh the new train system... number of times it broke down during peak hours... :)

I've heard a lot of people talk smack about the bus system here. Since I moved here during the panorama I haven't taken it yet though. 

How's Quebec? When things open up, and it's safe, I want to go and explore more. 

1 hour ago, fhjdsag said:

Did you apply last year? If you did, it should be the same credentials.

Oh, I just wanted to see if anyone here never received it. I got mine on Friday. If everyone else got it then there might be a change we will hear something tomorrow ????.

36 minutes ago, illuminatice said:

whaaaaaaat....... how

Maybe.. could also be a Vanier, which is a NSERC doctoral scholarship. On the other hand, name starting with B, so maybe if they are doing alphabetical order they gave the results to a small number of people at the end of the day?

39 minutes ago, illuminatice said:

whaaaaaaat....... how

Yeah universities know... No one is supposed to publicize results yet so that guy screwed up. I expect results via email will come out tomorrow. 

Edited by drsalimander

1 minute ago, drsalimander said:

Yeah universities know... No one is supposed to publicize results yet so that guy screwed up. I expect results via email will come out tomorrow. 

That would make a lot of sense if unis already know

1 minute ago, tje said:

That would make a lot of sense if unis already know

Depending on the size of your faculty and department - your supervisor might know. Universities can tell students but can't publicize anything: 

"You are welcome to advise your students of their results for the 2021 competition. However, as per NSERC’s request, please do not issue any public statements or press releases until advised to do so by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies."

Just now, drsalimander said:

Depending on the size of your faculty and department - your supervisor might know. Universities can tell students but can't publicize anything: 

"You are welcome to advise your students of their results for the 2021 competition. However, as per NSERC’s request, please do not issue any public statements or press releases until advised to do so by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies."

Congratulations on your award!!! ?

3 minutes ago, illuminatice said:

I have to admit I find it extremely frustrating that they leave the applicants hanging and don't notify them first. They should be the first to know, in my opinion... it is their award, after all.

Can't agree enough. I don't actually understand what the point of notifying departments first, but maybe there's a good reason I can't think of. I would ask the faculty about my result, but in all honesty it will be quicker to wait for NSERC to tell me I think haha

Edited by tje

1 minute ago, illuminatice said:

Congratulations on your award!!! ?

1 minute ago, illuminatice said:

I have to admit I find it extremely frustrating that they leave the applicants hanging and don't notify them first. They should be the first to know, in my opinion... it is their award, after all.

Thanks - I definitely agree about this. I am lucky because my department is small and I've made friends with the grad admin. The plus side is that the results will come very very soon.