NSERC PGS D 2021-2022

MarleyBarley

43 minutes ago, Albd said:

Yeah in Chemistry at U of T they were never one to go out of their way to set your mind at ease. So I can't imagine anyone at U of T will hear early unless there is some benefit to the department itself.

I'm in the same department. Good luck!

my extranet is working fine too. 

on a side note, i hope its not the case where rejected peeps get notified last like i heard from previous years... :(

i feel like this process is akin to slowly ripping off a bandaid from your skin instead of doing it swiftly. ?

5 minutes ago, fhjdsag said:

If you keep going down that rabbit hole, you can see whenever the NSERC staff modifies our folders. They've been consistently modifying it since 8am today so I expect public results soon. 

image.png.54d4db05a288c8aa850e8cc7b4f2858d.png

Hmm.. I'm unable to see an 'applicant libraries' folder. Interesting.

3 minutes ago, chemfiend said:

Yeah in Chemistry at U of T they were never one to go out of their way to set your mind at ease. So I can't imagine anyone at U of T will hear early unless there is some benefit to the department itself.

My friend at UofT (CS), heard earlier last year by pinging the department and asking for an update. 

2 hours ago, MarleyBarley said:

congrats!, do you mind sharing what changed significantly or what u think helped you the 2nd time round? :)

2 hours ago, Crawn said:

Please share if you don't mind. I had an unusual start to my PhD and took longer than normal to start publishing so I'm interested in the profiles of successful applicants who had low/no publications. Could you comment on how you demonstrated research potential with that area 'lacking'?

I have a feeling the saying "awards beget awards" is true, especially for NSERC. Since my first application, I got OGS and two other prestigious awards. My publication record didn't change at all (1 submitted manuscript not first author and some conference presentations). A few things I did to showcase my research potential: (1) tailor my proposal to focus on my current progress (what techniques had I used already and how those results informed my current goal and objectives) (2) clearly outlined my research contributions (get specific, why was your contribution(s) important to the field) in my personal statement and (3) I asked my supervisors to focus on my research potential in their letters of reference. I also explained in my application why my publication record was limited. Some people think reviewers will see this as making excuses, but if you have legitimate reasons (early entry to a PhD, time off between MSc and PhD, COVID lockdowns, inherently difficult area of research, novel techniques that require optimization, etc.) for not publishing as much as other people at the same level as you, they will take that into consideration.    

2 minutes ago, illuminatice said:

Wow, congratulations! Do you mind sharing the first letter of your last name and your committee code?

Committee 197, Electrical Engineering. 
Last name starts with A, also first name with A, so I'm probably at the very top of the names list. 

Edit: Haven't received an email notification from NSERC yet. 

Edited by abdelrahmanayad

1 minute ago, LonelyHunter said:

So for those stressing because they didn't received an email from their faculty, it doesn't mean anything. 

Someone from my faculty got an email, and I didn't, but still got an award. 

you heard back already? congrats!!!

5 minutes ago, abdelrahmanayad said:

Thank you! Last starts with A, so maybe it's alphabetical this year..

Amazing!!! Congrats! Make sure you celebrate today!

For everyone: let's keep track of last names and try to figure out the order? I'm wondering if it's CGS-D by last name, then PGS-D by last name.