NDSEG 2020 20201

Eman2

hello, here is a thread to discuss this years competition, especially since last years thread is so so long.

I have been looking for good examples of successful proposals- does anybody have a good source?

from last years thread, there is this google drive folder with 2 examples:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ut7fWlFrpmuyZOaqsca_-zxcPE2KSub-

On 10/22/2020 at 11:24 AM, vernigan said:

Are you all including titles for your research proposal? I have seen successful NDSEG proposals with and without, and I don't see any clear guidance on SysPlus. 

There is a line in the proposal section for entering the title, so it is definitely required.  I don't see any reason to not put it in the PDF version as well unless you really truly need the extra line for the actual proposal content.  If I was a reviewer though, and didn't see a title on the PDF, that means I would have to go find it in SysPlus' less-than-user-friendly website, and that would not make me happy. 

1 hour ago, seaslug said:

The application is due at 11:59pm on Nov. 2nd (Monday), right? Apparently recommenders were told in the email that it was due Nov. 2nd at 12:00am, which would mean tonight...

From the website: FY2021 APPLICATION PERIOD IS OPEN FROM 12:01 AM EASTERN TIME ON 3 AUG 2020 TO 11:59PM EASTERN TIME ON 2 NOV 2020

Maybe that's just what they told the recommenders so that we as applicants can actually submit on time? Wouldn't hurt to submit everything by midnight tonight though, just to be sure.

Hey everyone, let's do this thing together.

I finished my research proposal and personal statement (pretty bad but best I can do). Can I submit the application before all of my recommenders send in their letters? Or do I wait for all of those to come in before I submit?

4 hours ago, pangoline said:

I finished my research proposal and personal statement (pretty bad but best I can do). Can I submit the application before all of my recommenders send in their letters? Or do I wait for all of those to come in before I submit?

From the SysPlus website, "The FY2021 NDSEG application period is now open, and will close at 11:59 PM Eastern time on 2 November 2020. All application-related material, including references, must be submitted before that time to be considered."  Looks like the references need to be in.  From what I could tell, the Statement and Disclosure sections aren't even opened to finalize the application until every section is marked complete - my third reference just submitted his letter and now I can access those two final sections in the application.

5 hours ago, pangoline said:

Tangentially - we're scientists and engineers.  Pretty much none of us are good at personal statements.

21 minutes ago, OhTheStress said:

From the SysPlus website, "The FY2021 NDSEG application period is now open, and will close at 11:59 PM Eastern time on 2 November 2020. All application-related material, including references, must be submitted before that time to be considered."  Looks like the references need to be in.  From what I could tell, the Statement and Disclosure sections aren't even opened to finalize the application until every section is marked complete - my third reference just submitted his letter and now I can access those two final sections in the application.

Perfect timing, my 3rd recommender sent it in too and I just submitted. Phew, a weight off my chest. And now the waiting game...

@OhTheStresstruuuu

I somehow overlooked the part of the FAQ that said I should include my grad school course schedule or acceptance letter if I am a first-year grad student (I read it as put your gpa as 0.0 OR attach the documents). I submitted my app without doing this sent an NDSEG an email with an acceptance letter and asked if they could append it to my application. I'm feeling very cross right now. I have been working on this application non-stop since June.  

7 hours ago, Jack Princeton said:

I somehow overlooked the part of the FAQ that said I should include my grad school course schedule or acceptance letter if I am a first-year grad student (I read it as put your gpa as 0.0 OR attach the documents). I submitted my app without doing this sent an NDSEG an email with an acceptance letter and asked if they could append it to my application. I'm feeling very cross right now. I have been working on this application non-stop since June.  

Fuck I missed that too. I guess I'll email them. What a shitty place to bury that information that probably applies to at least 25% of applicants. I genuinely believe we shouldn't be held at fault for that. Hopefully they can append our materials. It's also possible we could be flagged during the check for application completeness and asked to submit more materials.

Edited by cellbiogal

9 hours ago, Jack Princeton said:

Where should we even attach the documents? I don't believe there was a spot to upload in grad school GPA section. Would we attach it under Phd transcripts or something?

Just now, seaslug said:

Where should we even attach the documents? I don't believe there was a spot to upload in grad school GPA section. Would we attach it under Phd transcripts or something?

That seems to be what the FAQ is suggesting, but the application portal itself had no mention of this. I think this is likely a common mistake so I would hope they don't hold it against us. I'll let you know if I hear back from the PMO email address about this. 

Just now, cellbiogal said:

That seems to be what the FAQ is suggesting, but the application portal itself had no mention of this. I think this is likely a common mistake so I would hope they don't hold it against us. I'll let you know if I hear back from the PMO email address about this. 

Yeah I highly doubt they will penalize anyone for it as it does not seem very clear.

1 hour ago, seaslug said:

From what I recall asking this question last year, this is correct.  You would put it under PhD transcripts.  I submitted an unofficial transcript that showed a zero GPA since it had all of the courses listed, but obviously no grades yet since my first term still wasn't done, and I got as far as waitlist, so I figure that was an acceptable method for them.