NDSEG 2020 20201

Eman2

2 hours ago, Scrappyhappy said:

Found it... mine says 11/6 as well. time to worry... haha!

35 minutes ago, cellbiogal said:

Also, I love how they made no effort to change this glitch in their system even though several people contacted them last application round asking about the dates and what they mean. 

HA! here we go again y'all! 

7 hours ago, psychologygengar said:

...what do the update dates mean? 

Welcome! You definitely missed out on some (neurotic) fun last year!

It appears that the update reflects NDSEG administrators updating the status of your application on that date, but it doesn’t actually say what that status change was. 
If you check out last years thread, we noticed the dates back in April while we were waiting for award results. At the time, some people had a december update and some people had an april update. Then as the days passed, the april people kept getting another update here and there. 
When awards were released, all of #decembergang was rejected. Some of the April people were awardees, some were waitlisted, and some were rejected. 
We concluded that if you didn’t have an april update, you were cut back in December. BUT, Since we only started looking for this in April, its unclear what updates happen in November  through April.  (Ie. Did everyone get an update on in december? Were there February updates? Its unclear.) I think a natural hypothesis for now is that a November update means your application was marked as complete and will be evaluated, but it’s impossible to know with certainty.

Also, we made a spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/2/d/1HHwP8Zyh8W24HRUh5WnObRExb24JhN5ZLTa7p5Q8CkI/htmlview#gid=0

23 minutes ago, psychologygengar said:

This sounds like a mess, frankly. You'd think they would just cover up the dates, if they're not going to explain what they mean...

Also, did anyone get an email regarding validation? I haven't ? 

It is a mess, especially since people contacted them last year about the dates and they swore it meant nothing and then did not fix their system.

No email yet, last year I got an email 10 days after submission. I think we'll probably get emails about validation early this week. 

Questions for you all:

Has anyone gotten an email saying their application has been validated? Are we supposed to? Did anyone last year get one? My application still says "under evaluation" and has remained that way since I submitted on 11/1. Should this status be changed once the application is validated?

My "last update" day is 11/1.

psychologygengar, would you update us on what rob says?

Edited by ktmods

We got emails last year stating our application was validated and would continue to be considered, but theres been no word about if they’ll do that again this year or not. 
My personal speculation is that they’re still validating the applications in piecemeal and all November updates mean the same thing, even if they come on slightly different days. 

7 hours ago, ktmods said:

Questions for you all:

Has anyone gotten an email saying their application has been validated? Are we supposed to? Did anyone last year get one? My application still says "under evaluation" and has remained that way since I submitted on 11/1. Should this status be changed once the application is validated?

My "last update" day is 11/1.

psychologygengar, would you update us on what rob says?

Heyo,

Rob says no emails until they make decisions. So yeah I guess we're just here with these ambiguous updates...

On 11/3/2020 at 1:16 PM, LHamer said:

Hello All,

I hope everyone successfully got their applications in yesterday for the 2020-2021 class! I was wondering if any current fellows could answer some questions.

If you are selected as an awardee, do you have any obligations to complete your proposed research? I have heard that you do not but can't find this in writing anywhere. 

If you do have to complete your proposed work, do you have specific timelines for deliverables? Are you closely involved with your DoD funding agency?

Thanks in advance for any input!

I don't know that it's written outright but it's implied IMO that you're going to be working on the topic. We're paired with mentors from the DoD branch funding us and we meet with them quarterly. We had to submit a 1 pg abstract of our work and my mentor does the exact same niche work so it'd be awkward to have a really specialized mentor and then work on something less relevant to what they do. 

So far, there haven't been specific timelines for deliverables but that may change as my mentor and I begin to actually interact. 

All that said, the four of us in my dept that were selected the last 2 years were already working on the topics we proposed so I can't give any examples on someone who might have changed topic and how that was handled/viewed by the fellowship.

40 minutes ago, ktmods said:

For those who've received a November update on their application, do y'all have your applicant statement agreement/disclosure release answers saved, or are they blank for you? Example screenshot attached.

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 12.24.25 AM.png

its not letting me view them anymore

20 hours ago, ktmods said:

For those who've received a November update on their application, do y'all have your applicant statement agreement/disclosure release answers saved, or are they blank for you? Example screenshot attached.

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 12.24.25 AM.png

Mine is the same. I noticed a week or two ago. I’m guessing it could’ve happened on their end while verifying apps, but who knows. Everything is so cryptic.