NDSEG 2020 20201

Eman2

20 minutes ago, burnt_out said:

Just emailed with Robert Ross from System Plus and he said official decisions will be sent out on Monday.

You're the real hero here. :) Oh man that smiley face is going to give me more nightmares than this application process.

Has anyone gone from Waitlist/Selected back to Not Selected?

1 hour ago, Eriis said:

Any chance they might change this status, since they didn't email anyone? 

I am just desperate since I just got HM for NSF and feeling at an all time low. I can't apply anymore since I'm a second year grad student.

I think it's best to accept the defeat and move forward. 

I'm in the exact same boat as you - 2nd year grad student rejected from both GRFP & NDSEG (my first time applying). But, we still have a lot to look forward to in grad school! Publications, candidacy defense, exciting data, graduation, and application for postdoc/industry positions. These results are only grim if you let them be.

We both now have experience with the grim reality of funding in academia. If it's too much to handle, there's no shame in moving away from the field. I think success in academia requires a cold and brutal outlook on funding - rejection doesn't necessarily reflect our worth as scientists.

My PI said to me today, "The bast****s only win if you quit trying."

3 hours ago, caffeinated_lurker said:

I think it's best to accept the defeat and move forward. 

I'm in the exact same boat as you - 2nd year grad student rejected from both GRFP & NDSEG (my first time applying). But, we still have a lot to look forward to in grad school! Publications, candidacy defense, exciting data, graduation, and application for postdoc/industry positions. These results are only grim if you let them be.

We both now have experience with the grim reality of funding in academia. If it's too much to handle, there's no shame in moving away from the field. I think success in academia requires a cold and brutal outlook on funding - rejection doesn't necessarily reflect our worth as scientists.

My PI said to me today, "The bast****s only win if you quit trying."

Thanks!
Reading your text did make me feel better ❤️

23 hours ago, aerolurker said:

Yeah, mine changed over the last hour from Not Selected to Selected. I have decided to not trust it until an email comes out.

Oh yeah hmmmm I checked on Friday with "not selected" and I thought oh well didn't get it, and it showed up "selected"  today. Just going to enjoy the weekend and not going to believe anything till the email is sent lol

42 minutes ago, metabolismboi said:

Oh yeah hmmmm I checked on Friday with "not selected" and I thought oh well didn't get it, and it showed up "selected"  today. Just going to enjoy the weekend and not going to believe anything till the email is sent lol

Did your last update date change as well? 

My best conspiracy theory is this:

1. They "released" the decisions on the application, but the default decision was "Not Selected"

2. Not everyone uploaded/set the actual decisions at the same time, so some of the default Not Selecteds flipped as real decisions were added.

My conspiracy theory would probably be invalidated if anyone saw a switch BACK to Not Selected from anything else.

That's my only guess. The other option is, someone was working on the apps and published random/meaningless statuses.

15 hours ago, Eriis said:

How do you check the last update date?

On the menu to the left, with all the parts of the application, click on any of the application parts. For example, click on "Applicant Information and Academic Record".

On the new page, you'll be able to see "Last update:" and a date, near the top.

1 hour ago, mediumicrophone said:

Senior undergrad here - does anyone know if some schools might change their minds on a rejection if I've been declined admission but get NDSEG?

I think they'd only change their decision if you were waitlisted, not rejected. I was waitlisted at one of the schools I applied to and basically told to notify them if I get my own funding, then I'll be admitted.  

On 3/26/2021 at 4:11 PM, burnt_out said:

Just emailed with Robert Ross from System Plus and he said official decisions will be sent out on Monday.

My status flipped from not selected to selected, updated 3/26.

I need an official decision because I am not emotionally stable enough for this rollercoaster ?

1 minute ago, ktmods said:

I applied to the ARO.

Someone deleted the branches again on the google doc :(

Nice! I was ONR, it seems like they're behind the other branches? Has anyone who applied ONR received an email?

Why would they send out decisions in waves???