NDSEG 2020 20201

Eman2

2 hours ago, throwawayyyy said:

Anyone know what this update means?

Did those of us with an early December update already get cut? Anyone know how many rounds of evaluations an application goes through?

12/7/2020 update

According to cellbiogal on page 3

"Welcome! You definitely missed out on some (neurotic) fun last year!

It appears that the update reflects NDSEG administrators updating the status of your application on that date, but it doesn’t actually say what that status change was. 
If you check out last years thread, we noticed the dates back in April while we were waiting for award results. At the time, some people had a december update and some people had an april update. Then as the days passed, the april people kept getting another update here and there. 
When awards were released, all of #decembergang was rejected. Some of the April people were awardees, some were waitlisted, and some were rejected. 
We concluded that if you didn’t have an april update, you were cut back in December. BUT, Since we only started looking for this in April, its unclear what updates happen in November  through April.  (Ie. Did everyone get an update on in december? Were there February updates? Its unclear.) I think a natural hypothesis for now is that a November update means your application was marked as complete and will be evaluated, but it’s impossible to know with certainty.

Also, we made a spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/2/d/1HHwP8Zyh8W24HRUh5WnObRExb24JhN5ZLTa7p5Q8CkI/htmlview#gid=0"

Here's a google doc we can use:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qBzKN6fLLH11WsgaoQnfcC4aECeBOOXvc8FTxhs9qfc/edit?usp=sharing

It's the same format as last year. Share as much as you're comfortable with, and feel free to use a unique identifier for the 'username' part if you're lurking. The most important info is probably military branch, BAA, and dates since different branches may 'update' on different days. 

On 12/10/2020 at 2:20 PM, ghostcat312 said:

According to cellbiogal on page 3

"Welcome! You definitely missed out on some (neurotic) fun last year!

It appears that the update reflects NDSEG administrators updating the status of your application on that date, but it doesn’t actually say what that status change was. 
If you check out last years thread, we noticed the dates back in April while we were waiting for award results. At the time, some people had a december update and some people had an april update. Then as the days passed, the april people kept getting another update here and there. 
When awards were released, all of #decembergang was rejected. Some of the April people were awardees, some were waitlisted, and some were rejected. 
We concluded that if you didn’t have an april update, you were cut back in December. BUT, Since we only started looking for this in April, its unclear what updates happen in November  through April.  (Ie. Did everyone get an update on in december? Were there February updates? Its unclear.) I think a natural hypothesis for now is that a November update means your application was marked as complete and will be evaluated, but it’s impossible to know with certainty.

Also, we made a spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/2/d/1HHwP8Zyh8W24HRUh5WnObRExb24JhN5ZLTa7p5Q8CkI/htmlview#gid=0"

Also note, applications were due in December last year, so #decembergang didn't make it out of december. It seems like as long as you are still getting updates you were still in the running, meaning that you might have been cut at that last update or you will receive another update later on meaning you were still in the running. But that is just my take on it- I could be wrong lol

17 hours ago, whyndsegwhy said:

I really think the only updates that will be interpretable moving forward are those that we see in 2021 (Jan, Feb). Those were the big separators last year. So, just waiting it out I guess (it may just be easier to live in a cave until April)...

Yes!

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, E1virologirl said:

I told myself I wasn't going to do this to myself again. Yet here I am.

I hear ya. 

Also, I just noticed a interesting trend in the google doc. The only people to not have December updates are people who applied for Biosciences. Weird. 

16 hours ago, caffeinated_lurker said:

I do a daily check for updates every morning. Not sure why I am doing this to myself either lol.

Same, I have a morning ritual of checking the application website then checking this. 

From last years thread it looks like there was only one January update (1/27) then another round of updates late February (2/28). 

2 hours ago, Buhnees said:

From last years thread it looks like there was only one January update (1/27) then another round of updates late February (2/28). 

This is my first (and only) year applying, so I wasn't aware of those dates. Thanks for the heads up. 

I'm assuming that if we don't see an update in Jan or Feb that we likely got cut?

I haven't logged in to SYSPLUS since I submitted but are people still able to see statuses/how do you access it? I just get a page that says "Session for this year is not available yet". But if I log into the account I used for last year I can see my results on that just fine. So I wasn't sure if this message was something you all are getting too or not

edit: this was a dumb mistake and i was just checking an old account i had made

Edited by nkbkwrm