NDSEG 2020 20201

Eman2

Just now, OhTheStress said:

From what I recall asking this question last year, this is correct.  You would put it under PhD transcripts.  I submitted an unofficial transcript that showed a zero GPA since it had all of the courses listed, but obviously no grades yet since my first term still wasn't done, and I got as far as waitlist, so I figure that was an acceptable method for them.

For the love of god why would they not just make the directions clear and state what to submit if you're a first year student.

They do say this - "In the Graduate section of the application, if this is the first semester of graduate school, place a "0.0" for the GPA and upload your coursework or acceptance letter for the transcript." It's just very easy to miss. I am sure a lot of people did not send it, and yet I observe that they do not point out that this is a common error and tell folks not to worry about it...

Just now, Jack Princeton said:

They do say this - "In the Graduate section of the application, if this is the first semester of graduate school, place a "0.0" for the GPA and upload your coursework or acceptance letter for the transcript." It's just very easy to miss. I am sure a lot of people did not send it, and yet I observe that they do not point out that this is a common error and tell folks not to worry about it...

They seem quite happy to eliminate students from consideration based on small technical errors.

Just now, cellbiogal said:

For the love of god why would they not just make the directions clear and state what to submit if you're a first year student.

Because it's Systems Plus.  This is the same company that administered the SFFP program (https://afsffp.sysplus.com/) last year, and the week they were supposed to submit all of the reports to AFOSR, they did server maintenance and accidentally wiped everything and had to have us resubmit everything.  Rob Ross is a good dude, don't get me wrong, but the company as a whole is a bit, shall we say, disorganized.

Just now, tryingHardFailingHarder said:

My application is in limbo because I accidentally clicked the save. button on the recommendation section. 

FML. The email I got back indicates that if they don't get to unfreezing my account in time, I can't submit at all. I could cry.

I made that terrifying mistake last night. I logged out and back in and my reference said 'Complete' again but I was horrified for a second. Hang in there!! Clearly none of us are alone with our technical troubles.

Sys-Plus is such a hack lol.

I actually accidentally hit the save button on recommendation section awhile back when they first send out a reminder email and i got this back from Rob:

"Saving does not over-write the completed reference. The only way that happens is if the reference you requested uses the link once again and over-writes it themselves."

I have no idea what happen between the two weeks but obviously something happen that cause you to get lock out. Words cannot express how happy I am when I got the confirmation email from Sys-plus. Between fighting the PDF compliance on NSF and dealing with Sys-plus antics on NDSEG, I am just happy everything is over.

3 hours ago, tryingHardFailingHarder said:

My application is in limbo because I accidentally clicked the save. button on the recommendation section. 

FML. The email I got back indicates that if they don't get to unfreezing my account in time, I can't submit at all. I could cry.

Yeah it is ridiculous that this can happen. I read Robbs email this morning and was shocked at how they would let these things happen and then not fix them by the day the application is due. 

I also feel the sentiment of others who are unclear that the instructions are unclear. Many of the information they ask for are unclear. I'm pretty sure last year I entered the wrong thing for 'title of BAA' because I didn't know what they wanted

1 hour ago, psychologygengar said:

big oof. i put the baa file name in the baa title field, submitted, and just realized they probably wanted the specific research area (like life sciences instead of "navy baa"). :///

...do you think they'll dock me for this? i did write the specific area in my reserach proposal though.

My guess is that you are fine. They will see this on your app and may be initially confused, but your proposal should straighten things out. 

As for all the general tech issues, what is it that plagues NDSEG applications, honestly? Some of that stuff is ridiculous 

just submitted..

I am curious about the review process. The FAQs say there is a panel of PhDs who provide a group of most qualified applicants to the DoD agencies who make the final awards. I guess I'm wondering to what extent the criteria is just- the DoD wants to fund your topic vs a wholistic view of you as an applicant more like the NSF. It definitely seems the proposal is most important, based on the small length of the personal statement.

12 hours ago, tryingHardFailingHarder said:

did you send an email to Rob?

Hello All,

I hope everyone successfully got their applications in yesterday for the 2020-2021 class! I was wondering if any current fellows could answer some questions.

If you are selected as an awardee, do you have any obligations to complete your proposed research? I have heard that you do not but can't find this in writing anywhere. 

If you do have to complete your proposed work, do you have specific timelines for deliverables? Are you closely involved with your DoD funding agency?

Thanks in advance for any input!

If anyone wants to feel bad for me, I made the dumb mistake of trying to remove and replace my proposal after having already agreed to the disclosure statement, so after months of work it looks like I won't even have my application read. Rob said they might be able to add it to my file but no guarantees (I emailed them my proposal right after this happened but it was close to the deadline). It was my mistake, I blame sleep deprivation for clouding my judgment and bad time management skills for my last-minute submission, but I can't help but also be frustrated with the application system for even letting me make edits. Sigh.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah shit, I didn't think we'd have to play this game until April. Mine was last updated on the day I applied. I wonder if we'll get emails soon about applications being verified as complete like we did last year? 

@Jack Princeton Does yours have an update? I know we had the same issue with not including PhD transcripts.

P.S. Time for another google doc?

695243036_ScreenShot2020-11-12at10_45_20AM.png.a7ec8347ffbad90513b008934c2da37a.png