DAAD Scholarship 2021-2022

JJ2888

1 minute ago, troy_athena said:

My project was chosen by the first university. Then I went to the university interview.Then I uploaded all my documents to the DAAD portal. This is how it developed.
I did not initiate any action when I was a reserved candidate. Should I start?  I didn't ask anything because the university administration said it would be in DAAD from now on.
I also need to apply for a visa, too. Visa procedures in Turkey take longer.

Have you spoken to your university administration privately?
How did the process evolve?

No, I didn't write my uni. Should I?

6 minutes ago, troy_athena said:

I'm asking him too.?
How did you start the visa process?

I started to collect docs but cant take an appointment since there is no spot. You should read all requirements in the embassy of your country. We may talk via social media and discuss all this stuff

25 minutes ago, Zhama said:

I started to collect docs but cant take an appointment since there is no spot. You should read all requirements in the embassy of your country. We may talk via social media and discuss all this stuff

I will look into detail. But the most important detail in TURKEY is the provision of financing. Therefore, it would be absurd to make an appointment without receiving the letter of the award.

In our country, the intermediary firm "IDATA" carries out visa procedures. I'll call and ask about it again. I write when I learn.
Are you going directly to the German consulate?

27 minutes ago, troy_athena said:

I will look into detail. But the most important detail in TURKEY is the provision of financing. Therefore, it would be absurd to make an appointment without receiving the letter of the award.

In our country, the intermediary firm "IDATA" carries out visa procedures. I'll call and ask about it again. I write when I learn.
Are you going directly to the German consulate?

Yes. I decided to risk, because if I wait more, I will not be there on time, since visa process takes 4-6 weeks here. So, I have no choice 

Hi there! Did anyone from scholarship holders apply and successfully get rent deposit paid for him/her? I submitted an application yesterday and I'm just curious if I can expect any notification from DAAD that everything is ok with my application or that they have sent a transfer. Or should it rather be as usually ridiculous - no feedback at all...

On 8/3/2021 at 4:36 PM, troy_athena said:

l didn't want to lose hope either. I think they wait until September in case anyone gets an award letter and gives up. Everyone is preparing in detail to win DAAD scholarships. 

How high would the number of people give up?
How many reserved candidates are there like us?

?

I wrote letter about reserved status and they repIied me as following:

I apologize for the delay in replying.Unfortunately, we still cannot re-nominate reserve candidates, as we have not yet reached the quota of withdrawals from the scholarship.I am very sorry not to give you positive news and hope for your understanding.--

On 8/12/2021 at 10:52 AM, Mallork said:

Anyone of you have recieved the official letter of acceptance and the documents for the formal acceptance? I'm still waiting... one month more

Have you contacted the dean's office or someone else responsible for the admission? If yes and if you sent them all required documents, they had to contact you at least once to confirm that all requirements are fulfilled and you can be admitted. In my case I got a scan of the letter of acceptance 2 weeks after I sent all the documents. The original of this letter (hard copy) came in one month after that by post, but of course it depends on your location and national post service.

On 8/9/2021 at 2:51 PM, Zhama said:

I wrote letter about reserved status and they repIied me as following:

I apologize for the delay in replying.Unfortunately, we still cannot re-nominate reserve candidates, as we have not yet reached the quota of withdrawals from the scholarship.I am very sorry not to give you positive news and hope for your understanding.--

I got the same answer two days ago.

19 minutes ago, Zhama said:

Did you apply for All disciplines?

Yes, I was notified about decision at the end of March. I was wondering if anyone from reserve list was already awarded scholarship, but it seems no.

14 minutes ago, TG_ said:

Yes, I was notified about decision at the end of March. I was wondering if anyone from reserve list was already awarded scholarship, but it seems no.

I also think they didnt renominate anyone. I guess they will do it after reaching needed amount of withdrawals

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, 

I was in reserve list for DAAD ERP scholarship and last week I was notified that I am nominated. 

But the problem is that in March when I didn’t win the scholarship I first got upset, but then concentrated on the job and decided not to study master. And then a positive answer from DAAD… 

My situation is that I am already working full time in a quite prestigious international firm where I have a career growth and learn. So I am really afraid just to loose 2 years if I go to study master. 

Could you please share your opinion on this?

On 8/30/2021 at 1:39 AM, Helena_ said:

Hello guys, 

I was in reserve list for DAAD ERP scholarship and last week I was notified that I am nominated. 

But the problem is that in March when I didn’t win the scholarship I first got upset, but then concentrated on the job and decided not to study master. And then a positive answer from DAAD… 

My situation is that I am already working full time in a quite prestigious international firm where I have a career growth and learn. So I am really afraid just to loose 2 years if I go to study master. 

Could you please share your opinion on this?

wow, this must be not taken lightly. life changing decision awaits.

before i jumped into my thoughts, lets make clear that i am total stranger who lack context of who you are and your situation, but let me point out one or two that might be can be considered:

-if you ask about this to your university professor, i assume he/she might be recommend to pursue the scholarship

-depends on the work culture, asking your boss might be very good idea or bad one..

-or maybe you can foreseen the situation, assess trajectory of your current career based on insights or news (such latest investment, etc etc?)

maybe 2 criteria would be helping: whether your personal attitude to your work, or you have personal aspiration in particular subject (urge to dig deeper about a topic that you found interesting) that might be lead you to better/fullfilling opportunity?

*a fan of nicholas taleb antifragile would suggest you to take the scholarship though

On 8/5/2021 at 10:15 AM, StellarWind said:

Hi there! Did anyone from scholarship holders apply and successfully get rent deposit paid for him/her? I submitted an application yesterday and I'm just curious if I can expect any notification from DAAD that everything is ok with my application or that they have sent a transfer. Or should it rather be as usually ridiculous - no feedback at all...

Hi! I applied too, but no answer yet. I'm sure it will take a couple of weeks to receive a response. Anyways, I am not hoping for much after I read their info sheet that they only made available on 1 September. It says that they will calculate the rent subsidy based on your "kaltmiete", meaning the rent you have to pay without the utilities. 

I am going to live in a micro-apartment where I have to pay €505 per month anyways, irrespectively of my consumption of water, internet etc. In addition, I'll have to pay the Rundfunkgebühr for the TV (everyone has to pay, even if you don't have TV, it's around 15€ per month). I'll also pay a 150€ service fee when I move in, that is sth like a "Community Pauschale" that everyone living there has to pay.

But according to the infosheet they calculate the rent subsidy based on your rent without utility costs, so in my case they will check the number in the contract that is 370€ (although the 505€ final cost is also indicated in the contract), and if I am lucky they will give me 10€ rent subsidy (scholarship is 1200€). I think it's a bit unfair because all together I'll spend around 530€ on rent per month, which is almost half of my scholarship, and I did not have any chance to find a cheaper option because everything was sucked up by the time they made the scholarship decision. 

So let's hope! How is your situation, what do you expect?

Edited by av9ha6

On 9/7/2021 at 3:58 PM, av9ha6 said:

Hi! I applied too, but no answer yet. I'm sure it will take a couple of weeks to receive a response. Anyways, I am not hoping for much after I read their info sheet that they only made available on 1 September. It says that they will calculate the rent subsidy based on your "kaltmiete", meaning the rent you have to pay without the utilities. 

I am going to live in a micro-apartment where I have to pay €505 per month anyways, irrespectively of my consumption of water, internet etc. In addition, I'll have to pay the Rundfunkgebühr for the TV (everyone has to pay, even if you don't have TV, it's around 15€ per month). I'll also pay a 150€ service fee when I move in, that is sth like a "Community Pauschale" that everyone living there has to pay.

But according to the infosheet they calculate the rent subsidy based on your rent without utility costs, so in my case they will check the number in the contract that is 370€ (although the 505€ final cost is also indicated in the contract), and if I am lucky they will give me 10€ rent subsidy (scholarship is 1200€). I think it's a bit unfair because all together I'll spend around 530€ on rent per month, which is almost half of my scholarship, and I did not have any chance to find a cheaper option because everything was sucked up by the time they made the scholarship decision. 

So let's hope! How is your situation, what do you expect?

Hey! You are probably talking about subsidy rent, not about the security deposit (Kaution). I haven't applied for subsidy rent yet, will it do a bit later.

I have a rent contract starting in September. I had to pay rental deposit (around 1000 euro) before moving in. I applied for this and was waiting for 3 weeks... There was no response. When the deadline of paying was close, I contacted DAAD again. This is what they told me:

"We will do our best to process your case as soon as possible. Please note that a rent deposit -- if your application is successful -- can only be transferred with the first scholarship instalment, in your case at the beginning of October because your DAAD-scholarship starts on 1 October 2021."

They said this only after I asked!! Why do I have to wait for 3 weeks to get this answer?! It is obviously, that if I don't pay it in September than I loose the flat. So what is the sense of transferring this deposit on 1 October? It is ridiculous. It was a pain to find an apartment and I didn't want to loose it. I withdrew my application and paid on my own. For everyone who applied for paying deposit for you: If you need to transfer you deposit before October, just know that it will never happen.

This is my situation. Regarding the rent subsidy, I think I can explain you how they approximately calculate it.

If you are single: Then they cover 2/3 of the difference between 30% of income and apartment/room renting cost only in some cities (see Your DAAD Stipendium 1.4.3), if your Kaltmiete is higher than 30% of income. So, for PhD scholarships, 30% from 1200 euro is 360 euro. Your Kaltmiete is 370 euro. So what they cover is (370-360)*2/3 = (approx.) 6.7 euro. According to the same 1.4.3, this will not be paid out, I am sorry :(

If you are married: Then they cover 2/3 of the difference between 25% of income and apartment/room renting cost in all cities. Calculating with your numbers as an example, 25% from 1200 is 300 euro. What will be paid is (370 - 300)*2/3 = around 46 euro.

I have checked with a couple of my friends that got scholarship last year and receive rent subsidy. This is correct up to an error margin of 5 euro :)

I agree that a lot of things in DAAD are unfair. The biggest disappointment for me was a starting capital that you have to have in order you start your study/research in Germany. I would be happy if the only thing I need to pay in advance were tickets. Instead, I have to pay Kaution (order of 1-1.5k euro), semester social fee (~300 euro), rent for the first month (~650 euro) and also have some money for living during the first month. We won't get any money from DAAD until we open German bank account, which could take -- depending on the city, month and your foresight -- between 2 weeks and 2-3 months.

Edited by StellarWind

23 minutes ago, StellarWind said:

Hey! You are probably talking about subsidy rent, not about the security deposit (Kaution). I haven't applied for subsidy rent yet, will it do a bit later.

I have a rent contract starting in September. I had to pay rental deposit (around 1000 euro) before moving in. I applied for this and was waiting for 3 weeks... There was no response. When the deadline of paying was close, I contacted DAAD again. This is what they told me:

"We will do our best to process your case as soon as possible. Please note that a rent deposit -- if your application is successful -- can only be transferred with the first scholarship instalment, in your case at the beginning of October because your DAAD-scholarship starts on 1 October 2021."

They said this only after I asked!! Why must I wait 3 weeks to get this answer?! It is obviously, that if I don't pay it in September than I loose the flat. So what is the sense of transferring this deposit on 1 October? It is ridiculous. It was a pain to find an apartment and I didn't want to loose it. I withdrew my application and paid on my own. For everyone who applied for paying deposit for you: If you need to transfer you deposit before October, just know that it will never happen.

This is my situation. Regarding the rent subsidy, I think I can explain you how they approximately calculate it.

If you are single: Then they cover 2/3 of the difference between 30% of income and apartment/room renting cost only in some cities (see Your DAAD Stipendium 1.4.3), if your Kaltmiete is higher than 30% of income. So, for PhD scholarships, 30% from 1200 euro is 360 euro. Your Kaltmiete is 370 euro. So what they cover is (370-360)*2/3 = (approx.) 6.7 euro. According to the same 1.4.3, this will not be paid out, I am sorry :(

If you are married: Then they cover 2/3 of the difference between 25% of income and apartment/room renting cost in all cities. Calculating with your numbers as an example, 25% from 1200 is 300 euro. What will be paid is (370 - 300)*2/3 = around 46 euro.

I have checked with a couple of my friends that got scholarship last year and receive rent subsidy. This is correct up to an error margin of 5 euro :)

I agree that a lot of things in DAAD are unfair. The biggest disappointment for me was a starting capital that you have to have in order you start your study/research in Germany. I would be happy if the only thing I need to pay in advance were tickets. Instead, I have to pay Kaution (order of 1-1.5k euro), semester social fee (~300 euro), rent for the first month (~650 euro) and also have some money for living during the first month. We won't get any money from DAAD until we open German bank account, which could take -- depending on the city, month and your foresight -- between 2 weeks and 2-3 months.

Hey! Oh, yeas, there was indeed a misundertanding on my side. Thank you for the information regarding the rent subsidy. I am upset because the booklet did not mention the "Kaltmiete", only that if I spend 30% of my scholarship on rent, they help. They don't, anyways, thanks. 

I'm sorry for your situation with the deposit! I also have to transfer that until 1 October, and it's quite a struggle. I hope you'll make it!

Best,

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, I just won the DAAD short term grant for PhD student. I'm from Nigeria and in the process of applying for visa, the German consulate office in my country is asking for a letter of enrollment from my host institution in Germany. This was not part of DAAD requirements for the scholarship application. I only have a letter confirming hostship/supervision from my host professor in Germany. I have submitted this and they still asked for an enrollment letter. Please, is their anyone who has passed this huddle? I really do not know the step to take. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello.
I have just been offered DAAD EPOS scholarship. 2022
I have a 15 month old, during the application, in the column for number of children I filled 1. Though I'm currently pregnant and my EDD is 1st August.

Now for the scholarship, the mandatory language course is starting on 1st August and my course 1st October. Please how do I proceed?

Although, along the line I was asked to submit a statement regarding my plan on relocating with family if offered scholarship.
I replied that I intend coming alone during the language course to find accommodation before my family will join me.
I didn't mention the pregnancy for fear of it deterring my chances of getting the offer.

During the registration on DAAD portal there was no question about pregnancy so I didn't know how to mention it.

Contacting daad on

Hello.
I have just been offered DAAD EPOS scholarship.
I have a 15 month old, during the application, in the column for number of children I filled 1. Though I'm currently pregnant and my EDD is 1st August.

Now for the scholarship, the mandatory language course is starting on 1st August and my course 1st October. Please how do I proceed?

Although, along the line I was asked to submit a statement regarding my plan on relocating with family if offered scholarship.
I replied that I intend coming alone during the language course to find accommodation before my family will join me.
I didn't mention the pregnancy for fear of it deterring my chances of getting the offer.

During the registration on DAAD portal there was no question about pregnancy so I didn't know how to mention it.

Contacting daad on the development are they going to withdraw the scholarship?
Please can anyone with experience advice me on the way forward.

Thank you

the development are they going to withdraw the scholarship?
Please can anyone with experience advice me on the way forward.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I applied for DAAD EPOS Scholarship and I have been notified that my application is nominated. In the email, they asked me to upload some documents through DAAD Portal. I check the portal everyday, and few days ago the status changed to "Funding", does this means anything? I'm confused because I haven't receive the Letter of Award from the DAAD or Letter of Acceptance from the University. Thanks for your help

On 3/16/2022 at 12:27 PM, tolen said:

Hi there,

I applied for DAAD EPOS Scholarship and I have been notified that my application is nominated. In the email, they asked me to upload some documents through DAAD Portal. I check the portal everyday, and few days ago the status changed to "Funding", does this means anything? I'm confused because I haven't receive the Letter of Award from the DAAD or Letter of Acceptance from the University. Thanks for your help

Did you get an email for the nomination? And I think that you have won the scholarship, as funding means that. Congrats!

On 3/16/2022 at 11:02 AM, Guest564 said:

Portal app. status just changed to “selection made.” Would someone please remind me whether that was a good sign? Applied for DAAD Graduate Research Grant.

From whoch country did you apply?