2021 Application Thread for Communications Program

21 hours ago, MelissaConway said:

Just got my decision letter from University of Maryland's PhD in Comms program.  I did not get in.  It was the only program I applied to.  While I have a robust career I love, I am bummed about this decision because this program would have been a really great pivot point for where I wanna take my career next.

Gonna go pour a glass of something and go feel sorry for myself for a few hours.  Then, onward and upward, as they say, to a different path to get where I want to go.

Wishing you all the very best as more decisions roll in over the next week or so.

I'm sorry you didn't in to your top and only pick. I know how crushed that feeling can be. I hope you took some time to rest and unplug. Onward and upward to see where your path takes you :)

MASTERS**

Has anyone heard from the following masters programs? I'm going insane and I've reached out to all 3 for an update and legit no one responded. like complete ghosting... could it be I just never hear back? Has that ever happened to anyone?

NYU MCC

Fordham Public Media

Columbia Strategic Communication

On 3/17/2021 at 3:02 PM, gizemnoktay said:

Hey

i contacted the professor I had an interview with and he advised me to contact the DM admin, which I did afterwards, but no word so far. It’s alarming to hear someone got waitlisted though. Is it for PhD? 

Hi! I'm the one who posted the waitlist for GT. Happy to answer any questions about that status/how I found out.

I was recently accepted to the LSE/USC Global Media & Communications program. I'm very interested but it would be a bit of a career pivot for me (and it's pricey) and I'm wondering if anyone knows about the program? I'm especially curious about what a reasonable salary range estimate would be for jobs I'm competitive for after the program. I have five years of work experience in foreign policy and communications.

On 3/24/2021 at 3:11 PM, Volozo said:

Wondering if anyone here has accepted an offer for Communication & Culture at York/Ryerson? 

I applied to McGills communication PhD but I was rejected. I didnt apply to York/Ryerson though, but I considered it. I hope you hear something soon. 

6 hours ago, KatGrad757 said:

I applied to McGills communication PhD but I was rejected. I didnt apply to York/Ryerson though, but I considered it. I hope you hear something soon. 

Hey, thanks for the reply! I've been admitted and had just accepted the offer, and was just wondering if there was anyone else here who would be joining me in the cohort :)

Just now, laurenkol said:

Nope. I wish. I'm on the verge of pulling my hair out.

Yeah same. Hopefully it's the last day! And they'll announce tomorrow. I still have two other schools with the same radio silence. I honestly don't know what's up with all these schools.

Just now, gizemnoktay said:

Yeah same. Hopefully it's the last day! And they'll announce tomorrow. I still have two other schools with the same radio silence. I honestly don't know what's up with all these schools.

Issues with funding, seems like? But to be honest-- who knows! Not sure if you drink but I'll be having a glass (or four) of wine tonight.

Edited by laurenkol

2 minutes ago, laurenkol said:

Issues with funding, seems like? But to be honest-- who knows! Not sure if you drink but I'll be having a glass (or four) of wine tonight.

Gah fo sho! ? I hope you get into GA Tech and I myself into ASU ?

So I emailed Alabama about my TA application I submitted in early February and was told they are making funding offers up until May. I take that to believe I'm on some kind of funding waitlist but I would love it they said so outright so I can get my life in order. Sorry for the rant!

Looking for any info regarding how Arizona State University makes funding decisions!

I finally got the admit letter to the Media Sciences program, however, it does not state anything about tuition remission or TA/RAships. Does anybody have info regarding in which timeframe the school makes these decisions? 

On 2/26/2021 at 9:48 PM, graycoffee said:

I got an admit a few weeks ago, but I'm waitlisted for funding. I'm trying to work something out, but right now it's super up in the air. What program are you going for?

Hi! I'm going to be in communication studies. Yea, I'm also looking for external funding. 

On 3/16/2021 at 5:02 PM, Larik001 said:

Hey everyone. I was hoping to get your advise on whether I should reach out the to chair of the program I am applying to. I have contacted the graduate coordinator and asked him about my application status he said that it will be out within two weeks and that a decision has not been made yet, however, that conversation was over a month ago. I emailed again last week and he said a decision would be out shortly, I thought he meant the same day but he told me no. So I am really anxious and I would like to know the feedback as many students have posted that they have been accepted into the program I am applying too since January. 

So, should I email my POI or the department chair?

Any updates???

6 minutes ago, NJGrad2025 said:

Any updates???

Hey there! I called the department coordinator and he answered. He was shocked to hear my name because their phones has been suspended or something. Then he told me that the decision will be out by the end of the month. I emailed him again and emailed the graduate department two days ago but no response

I am thinking to reach out to the head of the program

Edited by Larik001

On 3/31/2021 at 3:11 PM, laurenkol said:

Sending you good vibes! 

@gizemnoktay I saw an ASU acceptance for digital media (can't remember the exact program title)-- was that you? If so, congrats!!

Edited by laurenkol

Hey! I know a few of y’all are waiting to hear back from GA Tech. I was rejected from the digital media program. But I was admitted to a different program - HSTS PhD. 

I received an email on Tuesday letting me know I was waitlisted and then asking me if I was still interested. I replied back yes and let the person know that I received zero notice of me being on a waitlist. Right after that I receive my official acceptance letter. 

THIS MORNING, I was sent an email around 8am saying I have to let them know by end of day TODAY what my decision is! Wtf

like all of us, my acceptance letter has the national/federal deadline of April 15. When I was contacted on Tuesday there was nothing said about needing to make my decision early, on Friday (today). I’m super disappointed in them. I guess they’re having funding and communication issues. 

what happened to me is unusual for any school/ program. I still haven’t heard from UMD or VCU yet. 

7 minutes ago, KatGrad757 said:

Hey! I know a few of y’all are waiting to hear back from GA Tech. I was rejected from the digital media program. But I was admitted to a different program - HSTS PhD. 

I received an email on Tuesday letting me know I was waitlisted and then asking me if I was still interested. I replied back yes and let the person know that I received zero notice of me being on a waitlist. Right after that I receive my official acceptance letter. 

THIS MORNING, I was sent an email around 8am saying I have to let them know by end of day TODAY what my decision is! Wtf

like all of us, my acceptance letter has the national/federal deadline of April 15. When I was contacted on Tuesday there was nothing said about needing to make my decision early, on Friday (today). I’m super disappointed in them. I guess they’re having funding and communication issues. 

what happened to me is unusual for any school/ program. I still haven’t heard from UMD or VCU yet. 

Congrats! Also super disappointing on school's end, what are you thinking of doing?

1 hour ago, laurenkol said:

@gizemnoktay I saw an ASU acceptance for digital media (can't remember the exact program title)-- was that you? If so, congrats!!

Yes, I believe that's me! Thanks so much ^.^ It's great news but I am not seeing any clarification re: funding from their side. Hopefully it'll be resolved soon. Meanwhile, still no news from GA Tech