2021 Application Thread for Communications Program

Big news from my end -- the last school I was waiting to hear from, which was also my #1, University of Alabama, emailed last night with an acceptance! Woo!!!

Thank you to all of you here for the incredible support, and congrats again to all who heard good news. To those still waiting -- you got this!

Is there anyone who's accepted an offer but still hasn't notified the other schools they aren't going to that they are declining their offer?

I heard it's important to let the other schools know before April 15th so the flow of admissions offers isn't locked up (i.e., schools waiting for you to tell them you are declining their offer before moving down the wait list to make new offers). I get we have until 4/15 to notify, but why let the clock run out when there might be students waiting for their top school to make a funding offer that is held up because they haven't been notified that a student in the first round is declining their offer? Thoughts?

20 hours ago, jujubean said:

Big news from my end -- the last school I was waiting to hear from, which was also my #1, University of Alabama, emailed last night with an acceptance! Woo!!!

Thank you to all of you here for the incredible support, and congrats again to all who heard good news. To those still waiting -- you got this!

Congrats! Is it funded and are you accepting the offer? If I remember correctly, you also got an offer for Michigan State University

On 4/2/2021 at 4:33 PM, gizemnoktay said:

Congrats! Also super disappointing on school's end, what are you thinking of doing?

I’m definitely going with Temple. They offered me a much better funding package and they cover health insurance (Tech didn’t even offer that.) The program at Temple is a much better fit with my interests too - it’s just a much better pick in every way honestly. Plus I don’t have to drive in Philly - bonus!

2 hours ago, caseforget said:

Is there anyone who's accepted an offer but still hasn't notified the other schools they aren't going to that they are declining their offer?

I heard it's important to let the other schools know before April 15th so the flow of admissions offers isn't locked up (i.e., schools waiting for you to tell them you are declining their offer before moving down the wait list to make new offers). I get we have until 4/15 to notify, but why let the clock run out when there might be students waiting for their top school to make a funding offer that is held up because they haven't been notified that a student in the first round is declining their offer? Thoughts?

I let my other offers know I’m not attending. They will likely use the funding I was offered for a waitlisted student. I don’t want to possibly halt someone’s chance but not letting a school know my decision is a no. 

29 minutes ago, KatGrad757 said:

I let my other offers know I’m not attending. They will likely use the funding I was offered for a waitlisted student. I don’t want to possibly halt someone’s chance but not letting a school know my decision is a no. 

May I know the offers you're declining? 

On 4/1/2021 at 10:14 PM, gizemnoktay said:

Looking for any info regarding how Arizona State University makes funding decisions!

I finally got the admit letter to the Media Sciences program, however, it does not state anything about tuition remission or TA/RAships. Does anybody have info regarding in which timeframe the school makes these decisions? 

Did they tell you have been waitlisted for funding or just got an acceptance with any information related to funding?

So, today I got rejected CU Boulder, after being pushed for weeks to wait for a decision. I am not surprised though. I have one school left which is Florida State but I also have low hopes, they pushed the decision dates till April. Interviews where supposed to be out by the end of Feb/March, but now they are saying they in the middle of rolling admission process. So, I do not know if I will get an interview or maybe there is no interview anymore?

Bitter/sweet news is that I got accepted to Arizona State for PhD in Comm. However, I have been waitlisted for funding. I contacted the school today regarding updates on the TA waitlist and they send that no one has even responded on whether they will accept their offers or not. They have till April 15 to make a decision.

12 hours ago, Larik001 said:

Did they tell you have been waitlisted for funding or just got an acceptance with any information related to funding?

I haven't been told about a waitlist for funding. Just my admit letter with no info in it. I sent emails to Admissions Coordinator but haven't heard yet.

From your previous posts, I saw that you are waitlisted for funding. May I ask how you found out about that? Was it specified in your admissions letter or was this information forwarded to you after your admission?

15 hours ago, KatGrad757 said:

I’m definitely going with Temple. They offered me a much better funding package and they cover health insurance (Tech didn’t even offer that.) The program at Temple is a much better fit with my interests too - it’s just a much better pick in every way honestly. Plus I don’t have to drive in Philly - bonus!

Sounds like it worked out for the best! Congratulations and good luck ^.^

On 4/3/2021 at 1:31 PM, donasen said:

Congrats! Is it funded and are you accepting the offer? If I remember correctly, you also got an offer for Michigan State University

It wasn't directly stated that it was funded -- I was asked to fill out a form for assistantships. Does that mean it's funded? haha. Not me for the Michigan State offer! I only got in to Alabama.

1 hour ago, KkKkYes said:

Anyone hear from Davis? 

Have you contacted the PI you applied under? I hadn't heard anything either until I reached out to them (waitlist, btw) :). I got an inkling of suspicion that they're currently contacting waitlisted people this week to fill remaining spots. 

I realize I haven't updated y'all. I accepted a spot at CU Boulder. I took a short visit up to Boulder a couple weeks ago and fell in love. I got to meet with other grad students and faculty and walk around the campus. Very excited but sad to leave Fort Worth.

4 hours ago, Larik001 said:

Hello did anyone hear from Florida State Communication PhD program yet?

I just heard from them and I got rejected but that was expected. So tell me what universities are you going to attend and have you finalized your decisions?

14 hours ago, doctoralwannabe said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from schools (whether getting off the waitlist or rejected) that they were waitlisted in? I want to send the admissions an email to ask my status but obviously don't want to rush them. 

Yes! I'm waitlisted at my top choice still and I really want an update but I know we shouldn't annoy them. We only have 6 days to accept other offers!

7 hours ago, Laurag96 said:

Yes! I'm waitlisted at my top choice still and I really want an update but I know we shouldn't annoy them. We only have 6 days to accept other offers!

Hello, where you waitlisted for funding or admissions in general?

10 hours ago, Laurag96 said:

Unfortunately, I don't have any other offers :( However, I was waitlisted at my top choice so I'm dying to hear back from them. 

23 minutes ago, Larik001 said:

Hey everyone, I have a question for you. I have been waitlisted for funding. However, I contacted the school three days ago and they said no movement on their waitlist yet. If a spot opens up for funding will they inform before April 15th or on April 15th?

I think sometimes, they will even inform you after April 15th because this data was intended for funded students to make their mind. However, the admission may even run through summer.

It really seems like none of the schools I have applied or gotten accepted to adhere to the April 15 deadline..except my safety/last choice :( still haven't heard back from my top choice, they said they haven't released any decisions yet which is wild. Hope this week brings closure for everyone.

19 hours ago, twosweet said:

I think sometimes, they will even inform you after April 15th because this data was intended for funded students to make their mind. However, the admission may even run through summer.

Do you think I should email the department head about alternative options or on whether they can provide me with a plane? Or shall I wait till the 15th? Maybe I send out an email tomorrow? 

Just now, Larik001 said:

Do you think I should email the department head about alternative options or on whether they can provide me with a plane? Or shall I wait till the 15th? Maybe I send out an email tomorrow? 

I don't think it will make a difference right now no matter how you contact them because there is no spot available for new considerations at least until 15th. After 15th, you can contact the head of the program and copy your PIs for this inquiry. Also, you want to ask when they will stop considering new admissions for Fall 2021 this year. In addition, you can ask them about any suggestions for the future application. Good luck!