2021 Application Thread for Communications Program

41 minutes ago, twosweet said:

I got the full funding from temple as well, but I have already accepted the offer from another school. I declined temple's offer.

Awesome! Which school did you decide to go with?

Is there anyone who is on the waitlist for a school that they would definitely attend if they got off the list? 

If so, is there anything you have done so far to let the school know that you are really interested? 

I obviously don't want to bother the admissions but is it normal to frequently contact them? 

I was not told whether I am on top of the waitlist or not so I really don't know if I should be just waiting until April (national deadline). 

Any tips? I really would attend if I got off the waitlist. 

Edited by doctoralwannabe

7 hours ago, an0nym0us said:

@gizemnoktay @KatGrad757

My portal for GA Tech Digital Media PhD changed... It used to say I applied to the PhD and now it says Masters (I didn't, but I don't already have a Masters). I haven't heard anything yet. Any change/updates for either of you?

Hey!

Where are you seeing this info on the portal? I couldn't notice any changes on mine 

6 hours ago, gizemnoktay said:

Hey!

Where are you seeing this info on the portal? I couldn't notice any changes on mine 

Hey! On the .edu/apply page before you open your application. For me it says Masters now. I think this could mean a few possible diff things if not a glitch in system lol. Do you already have a Masters?  

19 minutes ago, an0nym0us said:

Hey! On the .edu/apply page before you open your application. For me it says Masters now. I think this could mean a few possible diff things if not a glitch in system lol. Do you already have a Masters?  

I do! And I couldn’t see the difference, hope yours is a good type of glitch :)

5 minutes ago, gizemnoktay said:

I do! And I couldn’t see the difference, hope yours is a good type of glitch :)

Haha thank you! If it means anything, my two theories are 1) I got rejected from PhD and put into the Masters pool.... or 2) Maybe I got preliminarily accepted to the PhD contingent upon completion of the Masters, and therefore reentered in system as a Masters student ? Praying for the latter, and thanks for entertaining my frantic energy... wishing you the best of luck as well! 

Edited by an0nym0us

Hey, does anyone know when will GA Tech release the results for PhD in DM? Considering I saw rejection on Gradcafe for the program the Friday before the last, I was assuming it would be last week but haven't heard anything!

Edited by xarx

2 hours ago, xarx said:

Hey, does anyone know when will GA Tech release the results for PhD in DM? Considering I saw rejection on Gradcafe for the program the Friday before the last, I was assuming it would be last week but haven't heard anything!

Standing by for the same! Although I don't have any idea when they would announce the results. I saw somewhere the date March 13, but we're beyond that already. I'm hoping it'll be this week.

On 3/12/2021 at 9:17 PM, doctoralwannabe said:

Is there anyone who is on the waitlist for a school that they would definitely attend if they got off the list? 

If so, is there anything you have done so far to let the school know that you are really interested? 

I obviously don't want to bother the admissions but is it normal to frequently contact them? 

I was not told whether I am on top of the waitlist or not so I really don't know if I should be just waiting until April (national deadline). 

Any tips? I really would attend if I got off the waitlist. 

Well, I'm not on a waitlist but I'm waiting to hear back from one more program with is in my top 3 choices. I was rejected from one, accepted to one, and still waiting to hear back from one. I emailed the program coordinator to ask for an update but I never heard back. If I dont hear back later this month them I'm going to reach out to them again. 

On 3/14/2021 at 3:23 PM, gizemnoktay said:

Standing by for the same! Although I don't have any idea when they would announce the results. I saw somewhere the date March 13, but we're beyond that already. I'm hoping it'll be this week.

Looking at the results page, I see that the Georgia Tech HCI-DM Masters results came out today... hopefully this is a sign that the regular DM results are coming soon as well. @xarx

Just now, an0nym0us said:

Looking at the results page, I see that the Georgia Tech HCI-DM Masters results came out today... hopefully this is a sign that the regular DM results are coming soon as well. @xarx

I emailed the Assistant Grad Director for DM today and her reply was that the 'faculty is still reviewing the applications' and they will release the results as soon as they hear from the faculty. So idk what's happening. 

3 hours ago, xarx said:

I emailed the Assistant Grad Director for DM today and her reply was that the 'faculty is still reviewing the applications' and they will release the results as soon as they hear from the faculty. So idk what's happening. 

omg thank you for sharing this update lol i contacted her about two weeks ago and she said the same! hopefully soon...

Has anyone heard from LSU Media & Public Affairs/Mass Comm PhD by chance? They're the last program I'm waiting for (and they're my top choice). I know we still have about a month until we need to respond to our offers, but I'm definitely counting down the days!

Kind of off topic, but would any of you say there's a general timeline to hear back about funding? I haven't heard from any school yet. I submitted my TA application for my top choice about a month ago. I don't want me to be bothersome but I am getting nervous because I feel like April 15 is fast approaching. I'm a Master's student, if that changes anything.

44 minutes ago, Laurag96 said:

Has anyone heard from LSU Media & Public Affairs/Mass Comm PhD by chance? They're the last program I'm waiting for (and they're my top choice). I know we still have about a month until we need to respond to our offers, but I'm definitely counting down the days!

Hi Laurag96, one of the friends has received full-funding offer from the program! Maybe you have been put on waitlist? It will not hurt to ask them. Best of luck to you!

3 minutes ago, lew334 said:

Hi Laurag96, one of the friends has received full-funding offer from the program! Maybe you have been put on waitlist? It will not hurt to ask them. Best of luck to you!

That's awesome! Do you happen to know when they heard from the program? I'm always torn between annoying grad programs to see if they have updates and letting them take their time to work through their apps lol.

Just now, Laurag96 said:

That's awesome! Do you happen to know when they heard from the program? I'm always torn between annoying grad programs to see if they have updates and letting them take their time to work through their apps lol.

I never asked, but I guess he received the news last week--that is when he shared with me the good news. I am also in a limbo--an offer from a school that I do not want to go. 4 waitlist, 2 radio silence--This drives me insane!!

12 minutes ago, lew334 said:

I never asked, but I guess he received the news last week--that is when he shared with me the good news. I am also in a limbo--an offer from a school that I do not want to go. 4 waitlist, 2 radio silence--This drives me insane!!

I caved and reached out, if I've been rejected I'd rather know so I can plan my my moves elsewhere. Ugh, the limbo is the worst!! It's crazy we all just accept these insane turnaround times without totally losing our minds.

Hey everyone. I was hoping to get your advise on whether I should reach out the to chair of the program I am applying to. I have contacted the graduate coordinator and asked him about my application status he said that it will be out within two weeks and that a decision has not been made yet, however, that conversation was over a month ago. I emailed again last week and he said a decision would be out shortly, I thought he meant the same day but he told me no. So I am really anxious and I would like to know the feedback as many students have posted that they have been accepted into the program I am applying too since January. 

So, should I email my POI or the department chair?

57 minutes ago, Larik001 said:

Hey everyone. I was hoping to get your advise on whether I should reach out the to chair of the program I am applying to. I have contacted the graduate coordinator and asked him about my application status he said that it will be out within two weeks and that a decision has not been made yet, however, that conversation was over a month ago. I emailed again last week and he said a decision would be out shortly, I thought he meant the same day but he told me no. So I am really anxious and I would like to know the feedback as many students have posted that they have been accepted into the program I am applying too since January. 

So, should I email my POI or the department chair?

I am in a similar situation (radio silence from the U of Florida!!) If I were you, I would wait until eary next next to shoot the department chair or the coordinator an email for your application status.. I personally would feel more comforbale emailing DGS or the coordinator since PhD admission status might be an administrative issue..