2021 Application Thread for Communications Program

17 hours ago, chidi321 said:

I have a zoom meeting with a PI tomorrow. 

Any tips? I am very nervous and fear that everything will just go out the window. 

15 hours ago, kineto said:

The 3 questions I’ve been asked in nearly every interview are: Why do you want to get a PhD? Why is this the best department for your PhD? Tell me about your research project (and why it’s important)?

I found it really helpful to practice answering these questions and even record myself doing so. For a POI meeting I would also read up on their work and prepare a few thoughtful questions for them. Good luck!! You got this!

Yes, to those 3 questions. Also have a few questions that you'd like to ask them. I've had quite a few interviews and they are pretty informal. If you made it to the interview phase all the qualifications/merit stuff is done. They want to get know you and learn more about why you want to study. Relax and be yourself. This is also a time for you to interview them. I also ask professors about their advisee style - is it hands off, is it independent, is it very hands on, etc. etc. 

On 2/16/2021 at 8:32 PM, twosweet said:

Hi Y'all!

I know we are all pretty nervous recently during this application season. Although I am not sure if this is a good idea, I plan to host a short Zoom hangout "COMM DOWN" for people who are currently waiting for their program decisions and feeling stressed. I plan to have this event tonight at 6 pm (EST) and here is the registration link: https://psu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUodOqorj0vH9bk6TZ7demzy4lGVbruNRqy

Feel free to share it to people you think who might be interested. If no one registered by the time the meeting starts, I won't start the meeting anyway. However, through this hangout, I hope we will feel more hopeful. Also, I will encourage people to have their videos on just in case we have no Zoom bombers and make sure our conversations are within the group.

Hey guys. It has been a while for me since I have posted/checked/updated the website. I have spent the last week not even checking my email or application status. Thanks to the Zoom call, I was able to relax for a few says and take a few things off of my mind.

I cannot wait for tomorrow's call!

So far I've heard from LSU's Comm PhD, Maine's PhD (concentrating in Disability Studies), and New Mexico's PhD programs, all acceptances with funding. Currently waiting on South Florida, but with acceptances starting to roll in 2 weeks ago, I'm fairly certain I am either rejected or waitlisted. From what I know, New Mexico's funding is VERY limited, too. I think they said they're only taking 5 funded spots. I think I'm gonna accept LSU's offer, though. My thesis is already autoethnographic, and I absolutely love performance studies. (I'd just have to get creative to shoehorn disability studies into basically anything I do, lol.)

I'm honestly SUPER excited. My MA GPA was only about a 3.5, but it looks like I am getting carried a bit by my GRE scores and my CV. I wasn't really expecting to get into LSU at all, but I'm not gonna whine about it.

Hey everyone, I received an email from American University (AU) PhD Comm. Program yesterday requesting that I attend the MA in Media, Technology and Democracy online discussion in few days. I was confused that I received an email from the Head of the PhD program stating that I need to attend a seminar for a masters degree program when I applied to the PhD program. Seconds later, I knew my application to join the PhD comm program was rejected. So, I emailed the head of the Comm. Program to confirm my rejection. Her response was that she was very sorry that my application status has not been updated due to technical error and that the department had to cut down the number of admitted students to only two Phd Comm students due to covid-19. Honestly, I was shocked that AU offered me to join the Master's seminar even though I already have one and I am not welling to spend additional two years doing a degree that I already have. I am not surprised for being rejected from the PhD program because I know how competitive the school is. However, I was shocked that they offered me to attend an online session for MA in Media, Technology and Democracy. 

1 minute ago, Larik001 said:

Hey everyone, I received an email from American University (AU) PhD Comm. Program yesterday requesting that I attend the MA in Media, Technology and Democracy online discussion in few days. I was confused that I received an email from the Head of the PhD program stating that I need to attend a seminar for a masters degree program when I applied to the PhD program. Seconds later, I knew my application to join the PhD comm program was rejected. So, I emailed the head of the Comm. Program to confirm my rejection. Her response was that she was very sorry that my application status has not been updated due to technical error and that the department had to cut down the number of admitted students to only two Phd Comm students due to covid-19. Honestly, I was shocked that AU offered me to join the Master's seminar even though I already have one and I am not welling to spend additional two years doing a degree that I already have. I am not surprised for being rejected from the PhD program because I know how competitive the school is. However, I was shocked that they offered me to attend an online session for MA in Media, Technology and Democracy. 

I didn't expect that neither. And this is just not making any sense. 

Just now, Larik001 said:

I know right?! It is very weird. Why did they do that?!

Well, I hope you are feeling better now since at least you know the result. And this is good for your next planning. These programs are always trying to maximize their interest and get the best "student pool" they need for their own purposes. Mostly because they know they have the power to accept or reject you, these people only care about them and that is quite universal.

1 minute ago, twosweet said:

Well, I hope you are feeling better now since at least you know the result. And this is good for your next planning. These programs are always trying to maximize their interest and get the best "student pool" they need for their own purposes. Mostly because they know they have the power to accept or reject you, these people only care about them and that is quite universal.

Thank you for your words. That is so true, I did apply to AU 30 minutes before the application deadline was about to be closed. I had low hopes honestly and I knew the result. Actually I have bot checked my portal for almost one month now to check my result because I knew it was a long shot. But the best will come for everyone, I believe that! I cant wait for today's ZOOM Call! I have some updates about stuff I wanna address!

Just now, Larik001 said:

Thank you for your words. That is so true, I did apply to AU 30 minutes before the application deadline was about to be closed. I had low hopes honestly and I knew the result. Actually I have bot checked my portal for almost one month now to check my result because I knew it was a long shot. But the best will come for everyone, I believe that! I cant wait for today's ZOOM Call! I have some updates about stuff I wanna address!

Awesome! See you all soon!

1 minute ago, Larik001 said:

Can you repost the meeting link again here? ?

Hi there, 

You are invited to a Zoom meeting. 
When: Feb 23, 2021 06:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada) 

Register in advance for this meeting:
https://psu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJAlc-iurz4iH9wK8JXEy4qRCh6OI5-VSvak

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

On 2/19/2021 at 7:44 AM, twosweet said:

For those who applied to Penn State and University of Nebraska-Lincoln (PhD programs in Communication) and are still waiting their decisions:

I called them this morning, and Penn State will release their decisions "in the next week or two";  University of Nebraska-Lincoln next week.

I hope NJGrad2025 heard some good news this morning! Fingers crossed!!

Were you at the Penn State open house last week? 

On 2/19/2021 at 12:01 PM, twosweet said:

I asked the University of Oregon about the application status, they told me "the program’s final admissions decisions will be made by June."

We're overlapping on our schools a lot! I'm waiting to see if I got a fellowship at Oregon (offered admission w/ full funding and consideration for a fellowship), but I hope you get in! I promise I'll let them know if I'm going/not going ASAP so they can offer my spot to someone else if I decline. :)

1 minute ago, Laurag96 said:

Were you at the Penn State open house last week? 

We're overlapping on our schools a lot! I'm waiting to see if I got a fellowship at Oregon (offered admission w/ full funding and consideration for a fellowship), but I hope you get in! I promise I'll let them know if I'm going/not going ASAP so they can offer my spot to someone else if I decline. :)

Thanks! I was not at the Penn State event last week.

10 hours ago, 6fifths said:

So far I've heard from LSU's Comm PhD, Maine's PhD (concentrating in Disability Studies), and New Mexico's PhD programs, all acceptances with funding. Currently waiting on South Florida, but with acceptances starting to roll in 2 weeks ago, I'm fairly certain I am either rejected or waitlisted. From what I know, New Mexico's funding is VERY limited, too. I think they said they're only taking 5 funded spots. I think I'm gonna accept LSU's offer, though. My thesis is already autoethnographic, and I absolutely love performance studies. (I'd just have to get creative to shoehorn disability studies into basically anything I do, lol.)

I'm honestly SUPER excited. My MA GPA was only about a 3.5, but it looks like I am getting carried a bit by my GRE scores and my CV. I wasn't really expecting to get into LSU at all, but I'm not gonna whine about it.

You already heard from LSU?! Congrats!! I have their multi-day open house this week before they make their decision about me lol. They're an amazing program.

Hey guys, so I was accepted at ASU PhD Comm program two weeks ago. However, I am waitlisted for the funding. The admission office are requesting me to fill out forms to get my I-20. They told me I could wait till I get the funding or submit the forms to get my I-20 faster, but again, I am on the funding waitlist. 

So, basically my question is do you recommend I wait till the funding is available or submit the financial forms so I can get my I-20 faster? The reason why I am asking you is that the American Embassy in Kuwait has limited number of visitors due to the pandemic. That is why I have to request an expedite appointment at least a month before if I want to apply for my F-1 Visa. I can still get a visa appointment later if the Teaching Assistantship becomes available but I am worried that the time frame might be tight because Ramadan (Fasting month) will be in April and the government of the country I am living in will enforce a full lockdown for 30 days.

I am thinking to send the above to the department coordinator, what do you think?

2 minutes ago, Larik001 said:

Hey guys, so I was accepted at ASU PhD Comm program two weeks ago. However, I am waitlisted for the funding. The admission office are requesting me to fill out forms to get my I-20. They told me I could wait till I get the funding or submit the forms to get my I-20 faster, but again, I am on the funding waitlist. 

So, basically my question is do you recommend I wait till the funding is available or submit the financial forms so I can get my I-20 faster? The reason why I am asking you is that the American Embassy in Kuwait has limited number of visitors due to the pandemic. That is why I have to request an expedite appointment at least a month before if I want to apply for my F-1 Visa. I can still get a visa appointment later if the Teaching Assistantship becomes available but I am worried that the time frame might be tight because Ramadan (Fasting month) will be in April and the government of the country I am living in will enforce a full lockdown for 30 days.

I am thinking to send the above to the department coordinator, what do you think?

I think sending this to school is important.

20 minutes ago, Larik001 said:

Hi. I am a fellow International Student. My advise would be wait for the funding decision before requesting the I-20. This is because the funding will be reflected in the I-20 document which is crucial when applying a US visa. Those officers will check and if you get full funding it demonstrates that the department will play a part in taking care of you financially. So just wait since the funding will be out hopefully by April 15. And you can always apply the visa in early May (after Ramadan) and you will get soon enough. That's what I did. Got my I-20 with funding, applied early May and had my visa by June. 

Best wishes! 

Edited by jomo

Hi everyone!! I really appreciate everyone's posts! So I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I am hoping to study technology + cultural studies and I was accepted at UCSD and waitlisted at Rutgers, Media Studies (rejected everywhere else). I currently live in NYC so I am terrified of moving all the way to San Diego. I am also curious about how Rutgers ranks in comparison to UCSD (ofc I'm on the waitlist, but just am wondering). 

Anyway, this post is a bit disjointed, but I would love hear ppl's opinions UCSD vs Rutgers and how the programs are regarded generally. Thanks y'all! 

8 hours ago, twosweet said:

Hi there, 

You are invited to a Zoom meeting. 
When: Feb 23, 2021 06:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada) 

Register in advance for this meeting:
https://psu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJAlc-iurz4iH9wK8JXEy4qRCh6OI5-VSvak

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

Cant wait!

Admissions Update: I got into Rutgers!!

Rutgers was the only school I applied to so I was nervous waiting to hear back. I am relieved that I was accepted and can't wait for recruitment day in March. Has anyone else committed to Rutgers? Let me know :)

1 minute ago, NJGrad2025 said:

Admissions Update: I got into Rutgers!!

Rutgers was the only school I applied to so I was nervous waiting to hear back. I am relieved that I was accepted and can't wait for recruitment day in March. Has anyone else committed to Rutgers? Let me know :)

Congratulations! That is wonderful news! 

2 hours ago, commxx said:

Hi everyone!! I really appreciate everyone's posts! So I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I am hoping to study technology + cultural studies and I was accepted at UCSD and waitlisted at Rutgers, Media Studies (rejected everywhere else). I currently live in NYC so I am terrified of moving all the way to San Diego. I am also curious about how Rutgers ranks in comparison to UCSD (ofc I'm on the waitlist, but just am wondering). 

Anyway, this post is a bit disjointed, but I would love hear ppl's opinions UCSD vs Rutgers and how the programs are regarded generally. Thanks y'all! 

Hi, 

I recommend going through the list of professors on the website. Which list aligns the best with your research interests and excites you the most?