2021 Application Thread for Communications Program

On 2/16/2021 at 12:32 PM, twosweet said:

Hi Y'all!

I know we are all pretty nervous recently during this application season. Although I am not sure if this is a good idea, I plan to host a short Zoom hangout "COMM DOWN" for people who are currently waiting for their program decisions and feeling stressed. I plan to have this event tonight at 6 pm (EST) and here is the registration link: https://psu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUodOqorj0vH9bk6TZ7demzy4lGVbruNRqy

Feel free to share it to people you think who might be interested. If no one registered by the time the meeting starts, I won't start the meeting anyway. However, through this hangout, I hope we will feel more hopeful. Also, I will encourage people to have their videos on just in case we have no Zoom bombers and make sure our conversations are within the group.

Shout out to twosweet for organizing the Zoom call this week. It felt like a group therapy session for Ph.D. applicants. Before our call, I was feeling pretty discouraged by this process. That feeling was preventing me from focusing on my day job and schoolwork. The Zoom call helped pull me out of the funk and see things from a different perspective. You and Larik001 are awesome! 

To everyone else, continue to hang in there. We'll get through this process. Wishing you all the best!

On 2/16/2021 at 8:29 PM, MZC said:

Hi!

Has anyone heard from NYU MCC? On the results page there are (only) two entries for interview requests, but wanted to see if anyone on this thread has been contacted/heard anything?

Was also rejected from UPenn -- a very competitive year indeed!

I just got an email to check my admissions result from NYU MCC - rejection ? I genuinely thought I was the perfect fit, spent so much time and money on this application. I wonder how many people applied and how many spots they will have this year. 

3 hours ago, NJGrad2025 said:

Shout out to twosweet for organizing the Zoom call this week. It felt like a group therapy session for Ph.D. applicants. Before our call, I was feeling pretty discouraged by this process. That feeling was preventing me from focusing on my day job and schoolwork. The Zoom call helped pull me out of the funk and see things from a different perspective. You and Larik001 are awesome! 

To everyone else, continue to hang in there. We'll get through this process. Wishing you all the best!

twosweet and NJGrad2025 it was my pleasure meeting such incredible and strong people like you two! The zoom session was absolutely wonderful and honestly I felt relaxed. For the first time in weeks I was able to sleep eight hours and not stress about checking my email and portal status! 

How about another round of ZOOM call?!

17 minutes ago, Larik001 said:

twosweet and NJGrad2025 it was my pleasure meeting such incredible and strong people like you two! The zoom session was absolutely wonderful and honestly I felt relaxed. For the first time in weeks I was able to sleep eight hours and not stress about checking my email and portal status! 

How about another round of ZOOM call?!

Yes please!

9 hours ago, MZC said:

Ah, I'm sorry to hear about the NYU rejection veraciraptor :( I haven't heard anything from MCC yet which is so strange - no rejection, no interview. Anyone in the same boat or heard anything otherwise?

In the same boat!! I am also so perplexed! Are you an international applicant? I also got no interview invite... but also haven't received the rejection yet. Don't know what it means. ?

Exactly! I'm so confused -- I'm an American applicant. Seems like all of the rejections went out yesterday. I emailed the phd@mcc address, no response yet...

For those who applied to Penn State and University of Nebraska-Lincoln (PhD programs in Communication) and are still waiting their decisions:

I called them this morning, and Penn State will release their decisions "in the next week or two";  University of Nebraska-Lincoln next week.

I hope NJGrad2025 heard some good news this morning! Fingers crossed!!

7 hours ago, twosweet said:

For those who applied to Penn State and University of Nebraska-Lincoln (PhD programs in Communication) and are still waiting their decisions:

I called them this morning, and Penn State will release their decisions "in the next week or two";  University of Nebraska-Lincoln next week.

I hope NJGrad2025 heard some good news this morning! Fingers crossed!!

Unfortunately, my admission status still says "no decision."  

IMG_3910.JPG

4 hours ago, AnonymousOops said:

Did anyone hear back from USC? I saw some people got accepted according to the result page, but I didn't find any relevant posts in this thread. I guess I might have been rejected by this program. It seems USC usually releases rejections one week after their acceptance. 

I am waiting for USC as well, but I couldn't find any phone number. All you have is a form and you fill it. If you have any director or contact number or email, I would like to call.

On 2/20/2021 at 7:50 AM, twosweet said:

I am waiting for USC as well, but I couldn't find any phone number. All you have is a form and you fill it. If you have any director or contact number or email, I would like to call.

On 2/20/2021 at 3:02 AM, AnonymousOops said:

Did anyone hear back from USC? I saw some people got accepted according to the result page, but I didn't find any relevant posts in this thread. I guess I might have been rejected by this program. It seems USC usually releases rejections one week after their acceptance. 

Have you checked the USC decisions portal? If it opens to a blank screen then try loading it again or in a different browser. If you don’t see a decision in the portal you could email the director of doctoral studies. The admitted student event is next week so I imagine all decisions should be out by now.

On 2/18/2021 at 5:04 PM, MZC said:

Ah, I'm sorry to hear about the NYU rejection veraciraptor :( I haven't heard anything from MCC yet which is so strange - no rejection, no interview. Anyone in the same boat or heard anything otherwise?

On 2/19/2021 at 2:27 AM, ShivD said:

In the same boat!! I am also so perplexed! Are you an international applicant? I also got no interview invite... but also haven't received the rejection yet. Don't know what it means. ?

I interviewed with MCC on Friday. They said they will announce final decisions this upcoming week. If you still haven’t heard from them perhaps you can call the phone number in the department’s PhD admissions FAQs?

42 minutes ago, chidi321 said:

I have a zoom meeting with a PI tomorrow. 

Any tips? I am very nervous and fear that everything will just go out the window. 

The 3 questions I’ve been asked in nearly every interview are: Why do you want to get a PhD? Why is this the best department for your PhD? Tell me about your research project (and why it’s important)?

I found it really helpful to practice answering these questions and even record myself doing so. For a POI meeting I would also read up on their work and prepare a few thoughtful questions for them. Good luck!! You got this!

On 2/20/2021 at 4:50 AM, twosweet said:

I have reached out to the Annenberg Admissions <ascadm@usc.edu> before, it's the contact of their admission office. I still haven't received any decisions yet. I guess I will wait for a rejection then. 

1 hour ago, kineto said:

Have you checked the USC decisions portal? If it opens to a blank screen then try loading it again or in a different browser. If you don’t see a decision in the portal you could email the director of doctoral studies. The admitted student event is next week so I imagine all decisions should be out by now.

No, I still haven't received a decision. I will wait until Monday and see if I need to contact them directly. Thanks for your suggestion!