2021 Application Thread for Communications Program

Hi! I’m new to the site and this thread. I applied to Stanford, Penn and Columbia. So far have only heard back from Stanford (??).  

I’m a bit of a non-traditional candidate (have been working for 7 years, already have a JD) so not sure what to expect. 

Good luck everybody!

I am trying to hold myself from not sending an email to the director of the program regarding my application status. Shall I send him an email asking about the rolling, early action and early decision process and when will I hear back from them regarding my application?

If you agree or disagree, please tell me why

40 minutes ago, Larik001 said:

I am trying to hold myself from not sending an email to the director of the program regarding my application status. Shall I send him an email asking about the rolling, early action and early decision process and when will I hear back from them regarding my application?

I recommend waiting until perhaps the end of February. I think it's still quite early in the process, taking into consideration delays due to the pandemic, so emailing now probably won't yield any useful new information, and might only result in extra stress. I know its incredibly difficult, but try to distract yourself for at least a few days, and try to not visit this forum as much if its causing you stress! I know that grad cafe is terrible for my mental health personally. 

27 minutes ago, Volozo said:

I recommend waiting until perhaps the end of February. I think it's still quite early in the process, taking into consideration delays due to the pandemic, so emailing now probably won't yield any useful new information, and might only result in extra stress. I know its incredibly difficult, but try to distract yourself for at least a few days, and try to not visit this forum as much if its causing you stress! I know that grad cafe is terrible for my mental health personally. 

You are so right! But the temptation of sending out that email is too much. I tell myself what’s the worst that could happen if I send out this email to the director? But another part tells me he might throw your app in the trash if I send him! 

5 minutes ago, Larik001 said:

You are so right! But the temptation of sending out that email is too much. I tell myself what’s the worst that could happen if I send out this email to the director? But another part tells me he might throw your app in the trash if I send him! 

Haha, he definitely won't throw it in the trash! If its really eating away at you, it won't hurt to send a polite quick inquiry. But I think he'll probably just tell you the admissions process is still underway :)

3 hours ago, Larik001 said:

Someone already explained it well— it’s still early. But also, a few grad directors have posted on Reddit giving the advice NOT to reach out (which I agree with). They’re likely being bombarded with emails at this moment. There are hundreds of applicants who are also waiting. Reaching out could potentially give the impression that you think your application should be placed at a higher priority than everyone else’s and you need a response before they’re sent out to everyone. I don’t think anyone wants to be perceived in that way. 

34 minutes ago, doctoralwannabe said:

Nope, not yet. They have interviews so I'm guessing they'll send out interview offers soon!!! Fingers crossed!! 

Yes, fingers crossed! From previous years' data, it seems that their interview offers should come in this week. Hope that we are going to hear the good news soon. 

18 hours ago, Larik001 said:

This is a general comment for anyone thinking about emailing DGS's or POI's and specifically addressing this: Do not do this, leave them alone. You will 100% find out at some point. This person has a job that they are trying to do during a pandemic and grad admissions are a small part of what is on their plate. At best you find out slightly faster than you would anyways, at worst you annoy someone who is in a department that you may end up at. It is way way too early. If you are talking about this in March, then fine, but chill out and get off this website for a bit if it is stressing you out.

Edited by alwaysasituation

37 minutes ago, alwaysasituation said:

Which program, Media and Information or Comm? They don't have to interview but often do for finalists.

Comm. I did see Media & Info had some decisions already released the other week. 

I have a two-day virtual open house with Penn State, and a two-day virtual open house with Louisiana State this month. I interviewed with Penn State before I was invited to the open house, so fingers crossed that it's good news at the end of the road. 

I received an offer of admission from the U of Oregon this morning after interviewing with them last week. Pretty excited :) 

Just now, Laurag96 said:

I have a two-day virtual open house with Penn State, and a two-day virtual open house with Louisiana State this month. I interviewed with Penn State before I was invited to the open house, so fingers crossed that it's good news at the end of the road. 

I received an offer of admission from the U of Oregon this morning after interviewing with them last week. Pretty excited :) 

Congrats! That sounds hopeful! I am currently at Penn State and I applied to both Penn State and U of Oregon. Haven't heard from either of them...

12 minutes ago, twosweet said:

Congrats! That sounds hopeful! I am currently at Penn State and I applied to both Penn State and U of Oregon. Haven't heard from either of them...

I think they said the open house is Feb 18-19 for PSU, so that's probably their timeline for finishing prelim interviews?

Are you a masters student at Penn State right now? It looks like SUCH a great program.

Edited by Laurag96

Just now, Laurag96 said:

I think they said the open house is Feb 18-19 for PSU, so that's probably their timeline for finishing prelim interviews?

Are you a masters student at Penn right now? It looks like SUCH a great program.

Thanks for your response! Yes, I am currently at one of their master's programs, but not at the main campus. The main campus holds a great department for mass communication. I hope you will hear from them soon again.

On 2/5/2021 at 8:25 PM, svk21 said:

Questions/themes I prepped for after looking here and Googling a bit:

• Why this program?
  • How am I prepared for this program?
  • Prior research experience - explain what methods and findings
  • Proposed topic
    • Feasibility of research
    • Research questions
    • Logical basis & significance of research
    • Possible difficulties
  • Notes on POI's writings that I had interest in working with
  • What are my plans for the future?
  • What questions do I have about the program, school, or funding?

Hope this helps!

It does!! Thank you!

7 hours ago, twosweet said:

Anyone familiar with when/ how Temple release their funding decisions?

Didn't get a clear answer when I spoke with POIs, just that it comes after the admissions decision, and I assume before April. They said they realize it's a pain to get the decisions separately.

Just now, svk21 said:

Didn't get a clear answer when I spoke with POIs, just that it comes after the admissions decision, and I assume before April. They said they realize it's a pain to get the decisions separately.

Thanks for your response! I just hope they can let me know earlier because I have another offer to respond and I don't want to make that decision too late.

Hey Guys, I have some good news! I got accepted into Arizona State, however, they said I have been waitlisted for the funding. They said they are trying to get funding within the next few weeks. Is that something common?

I emailed the program coordinator and told her that I prefer to have funding because this was the purpose I applied to grad school. I am waiting for a reply from her

Can someone tell me what to do?

Edited by Larik001

2 hours ago, Larik001 said:

Hey Guys, I have some good news! I got accepted into Arizona State, however, they said I have been waitlisted for the funding. They said they are trying to get funding within the next few weeks. Is that something common?

I emailed the program coordinator and told her that I prefer to have funding because this was the purpose I applied to grad school. I am waiting for a reply from her

Congrats! You can ask them when they will have the funding decision. I am kind of in the same position with Temple. I plan to ask the program at the end of Feb. Do you have any interview with ASU? I applied ASU too but have not heard anything yet.

2 hours ago, Larik001 said:

Congrats! ASU is a good school! Some schools do this. It means they have more admitted students than they can fund. So they are waiting for extra funding to give to the unfunded students. This happened to me in 2019 in my MA applications. Mizzou (the communication department not the J school) admitted me and waitlisted me for funding. The chair reached out and mentioned that they are waiting for funding details and this was in April but I had already accepted another offer.It is always good to have options. I hope you have applied to other schools as well. 

16 hours ago, alwaysasituation said:

This is a general comment for anyone thinking about emailing DGS's or POI's and specifically addressing this: Do not do this, leave them alone. You will 100% find out at some point. This person has a job that they are trying to do during a pandemic and grad admissions are a small part of what is on their plate. At best you find out slightly faster than you would anyways, at worst you annoy someone who is in a department that you may end up at. It is way way too early. If you are talking about this in March, then fine, but chill out and get off this website for a bit if it is stressing you out.

Absolutely! I think if anybody is planning to write, you can do that if you are writing to a graduate assistant for the department. But profs... not DGS... not PoI. 

2 hours ago, sdas123 said:

Hello! Any news from Northwestern Screen Culture? 

I am waiting for it too... no news yet. I think someone posted about an interview on the results page, which means they have probably send out all the interview invites (since, I think they normally interview all finalists...). I fear that this means bad news for me, so I've stopped thinking about Northwestern at all. But let's see.... fingers crossed that this doesn't mean anything, and that we will hear back from them soon.