2021 Application Thread for Communications Program

3 hours ago, phdplease101 said:

FYI, there are more than 350 applicants competing for 10 spots in Upenn Comm. The program is too competitative. 

I thanked one of my POI at Penn for taking the time to correspond with me prior to the admissions and she wrote me back by saying this:  

"I'm very sorry we weren't able to offer you a spot, it was an *incredibly* tough year for admissions.  I appreciate the note and I hope you're able to continue your research interests nonetheless.
Warmly,"

I feel like at least she knows my existence in the world and even I end up elsewhere else maybe our paths can cross again in the future? who knows!? 

I got rejected from UW-Madison

3 rejections from (NC State, Corenell, and UW-Madison)

Here is what is left (CU Boulder and Florida State)

I applied to American University (AU) but I doubt if they will even look at my application because I did not submit the evaluation  course (Too much expensive!)

I got accepted to Arizona State but waitlisted for funding though! 

Edited by Larik001

35 minutes ago, lew334 said:

Me.. Impossible to focus on my thesis. pretty anxious..

Hi Y'all!

I know we are all pretty nervous recently during this application season. Although I am not sure if this is a good idea, I plan to host a short Zoom hangout "COMM DOWN" for people who are currently waiting for their program decisions and feeling stressed. I plan to have this event tonight at 6 pm (EST) and here is the registration link: https://psu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUodOqorj0vH9bk6TZ7demzy4lGVbruNRqy

Feel free to share it to people you think who might be interested. If no one registered by the time the meeting starts, I won't start the meeting anyway. However, through this hangout, I hope we will feel more hopeful. Also, I will encourage people to have their videos on just in case we have no Zoom bombers and make sure our conversations are within the group.

40 minutes ago, lew334 said:

Me.. Impossible to focus on my thesis. pretty anxious..

1 minute ago, twosweet said:

Hi Y'all!

I know we are all pretty nervous recently during this application season. Although I am not sure if this is a good idea, I plan to host a short Zoom hangout "COMM DOWN" for people who are currently waiting for their program decisions and feeling stressed. I plan to have this event tonight at 6 pm (EST) and here is the registration link: https://psu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUodOqorj0vH9bk6TZ7demzy4lGVbruNRqy

Feel free to share it to people you think who might be interested. If no one registered by the time the meeting starts, I won't start the meeting anyway. However, through this hangout, I hope we will feel more hopeful. Also, I will encourage people to have their videos on just in case we have no Zoom bombers and make sure our conversations are within the group.

I’ll def be there! 

20 minutes ago, twosweet said:

Hi Y'all!

Definitely attending 

New to the thread --- Applied to MA/MS programs and the waiting is absolutely killing. Have no idea what to do anymore to calm down. I feel like all I do is check my email/portals for no updates. Has anyone heard from any of the following for a Masters program?

Applied to: 

BU

Columbia

NYU

Fordham

Hopkins

Edited by TaylorScott

1 minute ago, TaylorScott said:

New to the thread --- Applied to MA/MS programs and the waiting is absolutely killing. Have no idea what to do anymore to calm down. I feel like all I do is check my email/portals for no updates. Has anyone heard from any of the following for a Masters program?

Applied to: 

BU

Columbia

NYU

Fordham

Hopkins

Hey there,

You can check the results page and check which applicants got accepted. I am in the same boat as you are, different schools though. The wait is killing me too. Have you tried emailing the departments of your universities?

Hi!

Has anyone heard from NYU MCC? On the results page there are (only) two entries for interview requests, but wanted to see if anyone on this thread has been contacted/heard anything?

Was also rejected from UPenn -- a very competitive year indeed!

7 hours ago, Larik001 said:

I got rejected from UW-Madison

3 rejections from (NC State, Corenell, and UW-Madison)

Here is what is left (CU Boulder and Florida State)

I applied to American University (AU) but I doubt if they will even look at my application because I did not submit the evaluation  course (Too much expensive!)

I got accepted to Arizona State but waitlisted for funding though! 

Just heard back from CU Boulder and they told me that they will get back to me in two weeks! I have seen on the result page that some students have already been accepted into the program ten days ago or so. I emailed the department back and asked them if it is a rolling admission process or a regular admission process. Their answer was regular admission and that the department has not yet finalized their decisions. 

Does that mean I have a chance or two weeks mean a preparation for a rejection email?

Edited by Larik001

Hey y'all! I applied to 5 programs in total, 4 PhDs (UPenn, TAMU, UCSD, Cornell) and 1 MA (UNM). So far, I have been rejected by all programs but Cornell. Yet I highly doubt that I will get in since people have already been accepted and they only have 7 spots. It is super odd because, if they would consider me, I do feel that they would have sent me an email but I have heard nothing so far. Also, why would they not let me know that I got rejected like everyone else on February 5th? I'm also scared about just emailing them because I don't want to seem pushy, just in case. Is there any way that they would accept me later on? I do not have my hopes up but asking doesn't hurt. Btw, I am also an international applicant but I doubt that there is any difference.

26 minutes ago, commnerd said:

Hey y'all! I applied to 5 programs in total, 4 PhDs (UPenn, TAMU, UCSD, Cornell) and 1 MA (UNM). So far, I have been rejected by all programs but Cornell. Yet I highly doubt that I will get in since people have already been accepted and they only have 7 spots. It is super odd because, if they would consider me, I do feel that they would have sent me an email but I have heard nothing so far. Also, why would they not let me know that I got rejected like everyone else on February 5th? I'm also scared about just emailing them because I don't want to seem pushy, just in case. Is there any way that they would accept me later on? I do not have my hopes up but asking doesn't hurt. Btw, I am also an international applicant but I doubt that there is any difference.

Hi there,

There is no harm in emailing the program coordinator at Cornell. Just a simple email and they would respond. As long as you are not emailing a POI or the head of the dept, then you are fine. Email the graduate coordinator of the program.  

6 hours ago, twosweet said:

Hi Y'all!

GUYS JOIN US!

On 2/15/2021 at 1:39 PM, 79ers said:

Congrats on your acceptances! I was wondering when/how you heard from UCLA? Did you receive email the school or did you check with your POI? Thanks!

I first heard back from UCLA in the early January and was invited to their PhD visit day roughly one month ago. 

On 2/15/2021 at 11:15 AM, KatGrad757 said:

Congratulations on your acceptances! When did you hear from UMD regarding an interview? I applied to their information studies PhD program but I haven't heard back from them at all yet. 

I received an interview invitation from UMD in the early January. 

Thought I would update: 

Still waiting for USC and Columbia.

However, USC did send out acceptance offers to some people according to the results page. Haven't heard anything from Columbia J-School though. I saw a Columbia acceptance post from last year's thread around this time so maybe I'll hear from them sometime this week. 

I also applied to NYU, but pretty sure I was rejected since I did not get an interview offer. 

I was waitlisted for UT Austin Journalism & Media program and rejected for UMich. 

I know getting off the waitlist especially for funded PhD is extremely rare. :(

What a tough cycle...