2021 Application Thread for Communications Program

On 2/23/2021 at 9:52 AM, Laurag96 said:

You already heard from LSU?! Congrats!! I have their multi-day open house this week before they make their decision about me lol. They're an amazing program.

Oh, did you apply to the Media & Public Affairs program? I have heard SUCH good things about it!

3 minutes ago, 6fifths said:

Oh, did you apply to the Media & Public Affairs program? I have heard SUCH good things about it!

LOL, I was just watching the results page and saw someone post who must have the comm and media programs confused. They're both supposed to be some of the best in the country!   Congrats again!! :) 

On 2/22/2021 at 8:49 AM, KatGrad757 said:

[...] Also have a few questions that you'd like to ask them. I've had quite a few interviews and they are pretty informal. If you made it to the interview phase all the qualifications/merit stuff is done. They want to get know you and learn more about why you want to study. Relax and be yourself. This is also a time for you to interview them. I also ask professors about their advisee style - is it hands off, is it independent, is it very hands on, etc. etc. 

Oooooh, this is EXCELLENT advice! The questions you ask are likely to also be used to determine how well you fit. I know with Maine, I asked how the program manages burnout among the students, and if there were any common strategies/hobbies/etc that students in Orono turn to so they don't lose it. The question was received VERY well, and I got a p honest answer. But if your gut says that an answer wasn't super honest, you should probably email after and ask if you can talk to some current students.

Just now, Laurag96 said:

LOL, I was just watching the results page and saw someone post who must have the comm and media programs confused. They're both supposed to be some of the best in the country!   Congrats again!! :) 

lmao, I was SO confused by that tbh. I got my acceptance on the 28th, and when someone said apps closed on the 25th, I was like "No way I panicked on New Year's Eve WAYYYYY too hard for the 25th to be the deadline."

Do you know if you're gonna go to LSU?

1 minute ago, 6fifths said:

lmao, I was SO confused by that tbh. I got my acceptance on the 28th, and when someone said apps closed on the 25th, I was like "No way I panicked on New Year's Eve WAYYYYY too hard for the 25th to be the deadline."

Do you know if you're gonna go to LSU?

I have my open house this week, but if I get an acceptance, I think I'll take it and head to Baton Rouge (and the humidity, ew). You said you got into Maine too, right? How was their program? I debated applying and talked to faculty and totally talked myself out of it LOL

9 minutes ago, Laurag96 said:

I have my open house this week, but if I get an acceptance, I think I'll take it and head to Baton Rouge (and the humidity, ew). You said you got into Maine too, right? How was their program? I debated applying and talked to faculty and totally talked myself out of it LOL

It was really neat! I think Maine was my second choice, and the funding was pretty solid! I think what kept me from accepting their offer was the fact that the disability studies part of the program was VERY focused on accessibility tech and health comm research. Both are EXCELLENT, but not my thing as much. (Very small part of my decision: having spent the first 18 years of my life in Chicago, the next 4 in Western Illinois/Eastern Iowa, and the last 3 years in Minnesota...I am very very done with Midwest winters and I never want to see snow again.)

Oooooh, let me know if you end up getting in! It'd be nice to already know someone in Baton Rouge when our programs start!

Edited by 6fifths

1 minute ago, 6fifths said:

It was really neat! I think Maine was my second choice, and the funding was pretty solid! I think what kept me from accepting their offer was the fact that the disability studies part of the program was VERY focused on accessibility tech and health comm research. Both are EXCELLENT, but not my thing as much. (Very small part of my decision: having spent the first 18 years of my life in Chicago, the next 4 in Western Illinois/Eastern Iowa, and the last 3 years in Minnesota...I am very very done with Midwest winters and I never want to see snow again.)

That's what happened to me too - I kept going back and forth but they just have SO much faculty studying health com right now. (I also would love to never see another snow-filled winter again, I can handle a small amount but I am OVER wiping off my car every morning lol). Have you committed to LSU?

Has anyone heard from University of Colorado Boulder? I know they gave out some acceptances as stated on the result page. I emailed the department around 10 days ago and they said they would get back to me in the next weeks. 

I have not heard from them yet. Do you think they are keeping the rejected students till the end?

41 minutes ago, Larik001 said:

Has anyone heard from University of Colorado Boulder? I know they gave out some acceptances as stated on the result page. I emailed the department around 10 days ago and they said they would get back to me in the next weeks. 

I have not heard from them yet. Do you think they are keeping the rejected students till the end?

I was just about to ask the same thing! I have heard nothing from CU Boulder's Media Studies Phd program I applied to, though I saw in the results page that someone was accepted last week. I have not heard anything about interviews either, nor do I know if they even had interviews. I'm nervous having not heard anything... 

2 hours ago, twosweet said:

No, I did not.

I haven't heard back from USC yet. Several acceptances were posted on Feb 13, and USC sent out their rejections 17 days after their acceptances last year, so I guess I will receive a rejection by the end of next week. But there's still chance to get to the waitlist I think

3 hours ago, eagerinla said:

I was just about to ask the same thing! I have heard nothing from CU Boulder's Media Studies Phd program I applied to, though I saw in the results page that someone was accepted last week. I have not heard anything about interviews either, nor do I know if they even had interviews. I'm nervous having not heard anything... 

Hey - Thats me. They didn't do interviews.

Edited by Cdd2021

Hello all. I am excited to discover this website and this specific thread! Also it was soothing to know that I wasn't alone in the wave of numerous rejections that are too many to list... Never have I hated the word 'regret' so much. 

I guess knocking on the doors of direct PhD programs wasn't optimal with only a bachelor's degree outside of the States. But still happy though, I was accepted to a MA program at UT Austin, and I am like 85% sure I'll be going there.

But while waiting the happiness turned into some unsettling feeling, because they sent me a letter in mid January and I haven't done anything since. I'm sending transcripts and required papers, hoping that I didn't miss an important opportunity, especially financial ones. :(

31 minutes ago, doctoralwannabe said:

Just got my rejection letter from USC. Quite disappointed. :( 

I applied to 5 and only waiting for Columbia now. 

Was rejected from 3 schools (USC, UMich, NYU) and waitlisted from UT Austin. 

I wonder how many students will get off the waitlist. 

Got the letter from USC too... I hope you get admitted to Columbia. What a difficult year this is :(

5 hours ago, twosweet said:

Anyone heard from UMass Amherst? I saw some results posted already.

I got a form rejection via email yesterday. I knew it wasn't a great fit so I'm not super surprised - I've heard they have a great TA / RA union though. Hope you get good news!

Any other Comm MA applicants around? I've been accepted to Alabama, UCF, George Washington, and American. I'm still waiting on Wake Forest and Florida, it's been about 10 weeks. Has anyone heard anything about fellowships/aid from any of these schools. Best of luck to you all, keep your head up!