2021 Application Thread for Communications Program

51 minutes ago, 6fifths said:

Oh, nice! Congratulations! I just got word that I got into Maine with funding. I'm trying to figure out where each program I got into stacks against the others, but having options is definitely the good kind of stress.

That's awesome! Did Maine tell you when to make your decision? I was told "as soon as possible," but I am afraid it will still take me a while.

2 hours ago, twosweet said:

That's awesome! Did Maine tell you when to make your decision? I was told "as soon as possible," but I am afraid it will still take me a while.

I'm fairly certain they mean by April 15th, being the hard deadline. But generally speaking, if you make your decision before then, you should probably let them know ASAP so they can contact other folks they might want and ship the funding they have earmarked for you to someone else!

Hey, for those who were accepted, rejected, or waitlisted, I just wanted to share these links with you. Good reads to get your mind off things and they help you to ease off the pressure of waiting. 

https://www.collegexpress.com/articles-and-advice/grad-school/blog/waitlisted-denied-accepted-dealing-grad-school-admission-decisions/

https://www.graduateprograms.com/articles/what-to-do-if-you-are-waitlisted

Edited by Larik001

On 2/11/2021 at 2:09 AM, Natt223 said:

Congrats on your offer! You must have a very competitive application. I was rejected by Cornell with no interviews, although I thought it was a good match.

I also enter the final list of Northwestern MTS program. Do you know what is the acceptance ratio in this phase? Or which is your top choice? The online activities in late February makes me nervous since the decision will be too late, at least mid-March, I figure.

I'm not sure what the acceptance rate is for finalists. But I'm sure its not high... most PhD programs only let in like 5-10 ppl, give or take and depending on funding, program size, etc. etc. I know Temple said I have until April to let them know yes or now. I assume (well, hope) that most programs give students about the same amount time to let them know their decision. 

On 1/7/2021 at 1:12 PM, MomoTodoroki said:

I ended up applying to NC State instead of Penn State based on my interactions with faculty. 

Is UNC the only program on my list that conducts interviews? I haven’t seen anything about UPenn doing so.

NC State’s CRDM program has an informational zoom session next week that I got the email for today. The application deadline is next Friday, the 15. It seems odd to do a session like this so late. I wonder if they had fewer applications. Up until recently, the program website required the GRE then suddenly, it was updated saying it wasn’t required this cycle (some pages still aren’t updated to reflect the shift). I wonder if that deterred people from applying.

I was recently accepted to NCSU CRDM's PhD program. I am waitlisted for funding though. The letter stated, " The CRDM program had a record number of admissions this year, and you are one of a small group of top applicants who were waitlisted." I think most programs received more applications than normal, especially since most schools waived the GRE, amongst other pandemic-related personal reasons. Best of Luck!

18 minutes ago, KatGrad757 said:

I was recently accepted to NCSU CRDM's PhD program. I am waitlisted for funding though. The letter stated, " The CRDM program had a record number of admissions this year, and you are one of a small group of top applicants who were waitlisted." I think most programs received more applications than normal, especially since most schools waived the GRE, amongst other pandemic-related personal reasons. Best of Luck!

Congratulations!! Do you mind sharing details about when you received your letter & what format (emailed decision, email to check portal, snail mail)? 

the letter stated that there was a record number of admissions, meaning they admitted more/plan to admit more than the normal 12-14, or was this meant to say applications/applicants? 

16 hours ago, MomoTodoroki said:

Congratulations!! Do you mind sharing details about when you received your letter & what format (emailed decision, email to check portal, snail mail)? 

the letter stated that there was a record number of admissions, meaning they admitted more/plan to admit more than the normal 12-14, or was this meant to say applications/applicants? 

I received an email and my letter was attached as a pdf. I'm not sure whether they meant they actually received a record number of applications and/or they admitted more students this year. Possibly both? I'm sure most schools received more applications than normal. During the CRDM info session they mentioned they accept like 12 students, give or take, like you said above. 12 seems like a lot... most schools accept half that amount, at most. 

19 hours ago, KatGrad757 said:

Congrats! I was informed through email last night too, being accepted to NC State, bur waitlisted for funding.

Was anyone here invited to interview for the NYU MCC program? I'm seeing a couple of interview posts on the results page, but haven't heard anything myself. Still waiting for UPenn and a couple of History of Science programs, but I was accepted to Cornell IS last Monday :D! 

Hi, anyone applied to University of Miami School of Communication? I got the acceptance with great funding. As an international student, I do not learn too much about it, because it is not my top programs and I didn't spend much time on it. My research interests intersect with several professors here, but I am not very clear about how the school of communication overall is (i.e., overall resources, reputation, safety, etc.). I'd really appreciate that if anyone could say something about it!

11 hours ago, Larik001 said:

To those who got accept to University of Colorado Boulder, congrats on your acceptance! I was just wondering if they informed you with how many students have been accepted and whether you were offered full funding or not

Hi! Thank you! I got word on their admission portal that I got full funding, a generous stipend, health insurance, either a research or teaching assistantship, and a potential for funded summer research. They didn’t say (or didn’t tell me) how many applied or got in. I hope this answers your question.

1 hour ago, LCZ said:

Hi! Thank you! I got word on their admission portal that I got full funding, a generous stipend, health insurance, either a research or teaching assistantship, and a potential for funded summer research. They didn’t say (or didn’t tell me) how many applied or got in. I hope this answers your question.

Congrats on your admission! Yes, this does answer my question. I was just wondering where on the portal it said that you are accepted cause I have been checking mine and there is nothing except my application proof and a list of things I submitted for my application. So where can I find if a  decision was made? Or I have to wait for an email and then my portal will be updated?

Well. Heard from UPenn. It's a no. I know It was super competitive (hundreds of apps for 10 spots) and I have other options but I am a little sad. I really loved their program and could see myself in Philadelphia. This hit me harder than I thought. Regardless, congrats to those who were admitted!

10 hours ago, Larik001 said:

Congrats on your admission! Yes, this does answer my question. I was just wondering where on the portal it said that you are accepted cause I have been checking mine and there is nothing except my application proof and a list of things I submitted for my application. So where can I find if a  decision was made? Or I have to wait for an email and then my portal will be updated?

I was sent an email of my acceptance from the program coordinator/my potential PI. I went to check in on my portal and that is where I found the funding. I am not sure if they are sending emails to everyone.

21 minutes ago, LCZ said:

Well. Heard from UPenn. It's a no. I know It was super competitive (hundreds of apps for 10 spots) and I have other options but I am a little sad. I really loved their program and could see myself in Philadelphia. This hit me harder than I thought. Regardless, congrats to those who were admitted!

Also got rejection from Upenn today. No specific reasons, heart-broken, this is my #1 program.

UW-Madison provided an offer without fundings. When asking for possible future funding opportunities, the graduate office was very negative and disencouraging. They won't be able to provide any money now and won't gurantee any funding in the future even if you self-fund the first year. 

4 hours ago, doctoralwannabe said:

Did anyone hear from USC Annenberg? 

I checked the results page and some of them got an email to check the portal on the 13th. The people who posted all received an offer so I was wondering if all of those admitted were notified first...? :( 

If that's true, i will cry the rest of Feb....I have not heard any news from them and no interviews at all. I only applied Upenn (reject), UW-Madison (no money), and USC this year and USC is my last hope now...