2021 Application Thread for Communications Program

15 hours ago, twosweet said:

Congrats! You can ask them when they will have the funding decision. I am kind of in the same position with Temple. I plan to ask the program at the end of Feb. Do you have any interview with ASU? I applied ASU too but have not heard anything yet.

Thank you! No, they do not do interviews as part of the process. I have some universities I am waiting to hear from, so let us hope for the best

On 2/8/2021 at 5:42 AM, twosweet said:

Anyone familiar with when/ how Temple release their funding decisions?

Not exactly sure - My admittance letter said first round funding decisions would come by early April, but during my interview the prof said late February. He also said they really discourage people from self-funding, and it seemed to be correlated to how many people are admitted with external funding (fulbrights, etc). Hopefully we'll hear soon - Great to be admitted but the funding package is pretty essential for me. 

Edited by Cdd2021

Just now, Cdd2021 said:

Not exactly sure - My admittance letter send first round funding decisions would come by early April, but during my interview the prof said late February. He also said they really discourage people from self-funding, and it seemed to be correlated to how many people are admitted with external funding (fulbrights, etc). Hopefully we'll hear soon - Great to be admitted but the funding package is pretty essential for me. 

Thanks for your information! I am in the same boat and funding package is essential. I also got in UMaine with funding but I am not sure how to pick between Temple and UMaine if I have both fundings. How about your other schools?

Just now, twosweet said:

Thanks for your information! I am in the same boat and funding package is essential. I also got in UMaine with funding but I am not sure how to pick between Temple and UMaine if I have both fundings. How about your other schools?

I haven't heard back from anywhere else yet. I had an interview with Drexel yesterday. I also applied to University of Colorado Boulder and University of Rochester. I don't know how I'm going to decide if I get funding elsewhere -- I really enjoyed my interview for Temple and it kind of sold me on the program more than I anticipated. I'm still in a "wait and see" phase though

Just now, Cdd2021 said:

I haven't heard back from anywhere else yet. I had an interview with Drexel yesterday. I also applied to University of Colorado Boulder and University of Rochester. I don't know how I'm going to decide if I get funding elsewhere -- I really enjoyed my interview for Temple and it kind of sold me on the program more than I anticipated. I'm still in a "wait and see" phase though

Temple has a very nice program and some of my professors graduated from there too. I hope our fundings get through soon!

On 2/5/2021 at 1:17 AM, jomo said:

Interesting to hear that. Let’s hope for the best. I didn’t mention Sharon but I guess she was there since she’s the grad committee chair. I’ll keep you posted. It’s one of my top choice too :) 

Hey! Did you hear back from UT Austin? I was waitlisted :( They said they drastically reduced the number of spots this year due to the pandemic. Definitely losing hope now..... I wonder if there are a lot of students on the waitlist... 

Edited by doctoralwannabe

34 minutes ago, doctoralwannabe said:

Hey! Did you hear back from UT Austin? I was waitlisted :( They said they drastically reduced the number of spots this year due to the pandemic. Definitely losing hope now..... I wonder if there are a lot of students on the waitlist... 

hi! Yes! I got waitlisted as well. I was also wondering the same. Is UT your top option? 

Hi! Just saw an interview invite post in the results page for NYU MCC. Congrats to the person!!! Anyone here to claim it? 

Just wanted to know if this was an email from the PoI or DGS... and whether there was anything mentioned as to how many candidates will be interviewed.

Hi everyone! 

My friend send me this forum. I'm not sure if it's making me more or less nervous (lol). 

I was accepted to Temple! I'M SO EXCITED! I was not interviewed by Temple, fyi.

I had 2 interviews with Cornell and was not accepted.

I'm a finalist at Northwestern. I have not been interviewed yet (not sure if I will be or not).

2 minutes ago, KatGrad757 said:

Hi everyone! 

My friend send me this forum. I'm not sure if it's making me more or less nervous (lol). 

I'm a finalist at Northwestern. I have not been interviewed yet (not sure if I will be or not).

Congrats! You must be amazing! Hard to believe that having two interview and didn't get Cornell's offer. Did you get the funding from Temple? Or have you hear from them about funding. I was accepted to Temple as well but still waiting for their fundings. So far, I think they granted a lot of offers but I am afraid that they won't be able to fund them all.

Just now, twosweet said:

Congrats! You must be amazing! Hard to believe that having two interview and didn't get Cornell's offer. Did you get the funding from Temple? Or have you hear from them about funding. I was accepted to Temple as well but still waiting for their fundings. So far, I think they granted a lot of offers but I am afraid that they won't be able to fund them all.

Thank you! I was actually surprised too. I received great feedback and high comments/remarks about my strong application. I was flooded with compliments (not to brag, but just pointing to my surprise that I was not offered admission). I haven't received funding form Temple yet either. They said early April.  

10 hours ago, KatGrad757 said:

Hi everyone! 

Congrats on your offer! You must have a very competitive application. I was rejected by Cornell with no interviews, although I thought it was a good match.

I also enter the final list of Northwestern MTS program. Do you know what is the acceptance ratio in this phase? Or which is your top choice? The online activities in late February makes me nervous since the decision will be too late, at least mid-March, I figure.

Edited by Natt223

On 2/10/2021 at 9:04 AM, Larik001 said:

Hey guys, did anyone hear back from Florida State and University of Colorado Boulder?

I heard from Boulder yesterday evening (accepted). But I think they are doing it bit by bit.

Just now, twosweet said:

Congrats! I applied CU too. Still waiting. Where else did you get accepted, if you don't mind to share. Thanks!

I don't mind. I been accepted at UT and George Mason, rejected from Cornell, and waiting for Mizzou, UPenn, and Nebraska.

Just now, twosweet said:

I think Upenn usually send out their decision on Valentines Day or the next day. Fingers crossed for all!

Well that gives me SOMETHING to look forward to because I am tragically alone (except my dog, Zelda). I really like their program and Philadelphia, plus, you know, it's UPenn... Good luck to all. May we all have options given to us.

Hello everyone, again!

So after I received the email from Arizona state regarding my acceptance, they also told me that I was waitlisted for funding. From what I understood from the program coordinator response to me is that the top-ranked students got the TA funding and they have a decision to make to accept the offer anytime before April 15. Once someone decides to decline an offer, that TA fund will go to one of the applicants on the waitlist. However, I do not know how many are waitlisted and I did not ask her that afterwards. 

She also said that this year the department is not likely to get additional funds for extra TA from the College. 

I am still waiting to hear from other schools. 

Edited by Larik001

On 2/9/2021 at 1:38 PM, twosweet said:

Oh, nice! Congratulations! I just got word that I got into Maine with funding. I'm trying to figure out where each program I got into stacks against the others, but having options is definitely the good kind of stress.

Edited by 6fifths