2021 Application Thread for Communications Program

Looks like it's a rejection year for me across the board. Still waiting to hear back from USC and Columbia but not expecting an accept from either. 

Any tips from others that have had to apply in multiple cycles? Gutted but trying to move forward.

Sincere congrats to everyone that got in/have options!

39 minutes ago, phdplease101 said:

Also got rejection from Upenn today. No specific reasons, heart-broken, this is my #1 program.

UW-Madison provided an offer without fundings. When asking for possible future funding opportunities, the graduate office was very negative and disencouraging. They won't be able to provide any money now and won't gurantee any funding in the future even if you self-fund the first year. 

If that's true, i will cry the rest of Feb....I have not heard any news from them and no interviews at all. I only applied Upenn (reject), UW-Madison (no money), and USC this year and USC is my last hope now...  

Hello,

Let me first start by saying there is still a chance that you could get into USC this year. However, if you don't, then the following is very important for you to read.

You are applying to a small number of a highly competitive programs. UPENN and USC. I would say UW-Madison has a mid-high comm program, but certainly not like the first two. 

When you apply to graduate programs you need to have low expectations, regardless of the ranking of the university or how good the program is. I was given the chance twice to apply to UPENN, I even spoke to Marwan Kraidy who was the head fo the program (No longer at UPENN), I called him on his office phone. From what I heard and understood is that the program is really good but not very well-equipped for my research interests. Therefore, I scratched UPENN from my list two years ago. However, in 2020, I decided to see if the program maybe has altered their research trajectory, but they did not. I received an email from the new Head of Dept. stating that they have no qualified faculty member to support my research as their knowledge about my research is very limited, only Kraidy had the knowledge but he is no longer at UPENN, as stated earlier.  So, the bottom line just because it is UPENN it does not mean it is a good fit for me. 

Now, in your case, regardless of what your research interests is/are UPENN might be an option for you. However, UPENN is considered an Ivy league school like Duke, Cornell, etc. Therefore, my advice, when you apply next time, create a list of the programs that you know the likelihood of getting accepted is higher than those ivy league competitive schools. Make sure your list has reasonable expectations, it does not mean you apply to any random program, on the contrary, many good schools offer better educational system than the ivy league ones. 

Again, there is no harm applying to ivy league schools, that is perfectly fine, but do not make them the sole focus of your admission. Focus on good schools that offer good funding and have proper research facilities and affiliation with different organizations that gives you the space to go outside the box. 

Therefore, if you apply next time, aim for two ivy league schools and five top-notch good schools like Arizona State, Texas State, Boulder, Denver, etc.

https://www.natcom.org/nca-doctoral-program-guide

The link above is a website called the National Communication Association (NCA), and they list all universities that offers the best PhD Communication programs in the United States. 

I hope this helps you in the future if you did not hear from USC. Good luck!

Edited by Larik001

I've been following this thread for a while, but it's my first time to share something like this. I have applied quite a few communication programs and received five rejections and four offers by now. 

Rejection:

Stanford, University of Washington (iSchool), UMich, UPenn, UCSB

Acceptance:

UCLA, UCD, Wisconsin-Madison, American University

Interviewed:

UMD

Though I didn't getting into any programs that are really competitive (and I probably will be rejected by USC), I'm quite satisfied with my result. It's fun to read all your posts and I wish everyone the best of luck!

45 minutes ago, Larik001 said:

Hello,

Let me first start by saying there is still a chance that you could get into USC this year. However, if you don't, then the following is very important for you to read.

You are applying to a small number of a highly competitive programs. UPENN and USC. I would say UW-Madison has a mid-high comm program, but certainly not like the first two. 

When you apply to graduate programs you need to have low expectations, regardless of the ranking of the university or how good the program is. I was given the chance twice to apply to UPENN, I even spoke to Marwan Kraidy who was the head fo the program (No longer at UPENN), I called him on his office phone. From what I heard and understood is that the program is really good but not very well-equipped for my research interests. Therefore, I scratched UPENN from my list two years ago. However, in 2020, I decided to see if the program maybe has altered their research trajectory, but they did not. I received an email from the new Head of Dept. stating that they have no qualified faculty member to support my research as their knowledge about my research is very limited, only Kraidy had the knowledge but he is no longer at UPENN, as stated earlier.  So, the bottom line just because it is UPENN it does not mean it is a good fit for me. 

Now, in your case, regardless of what your research interests is/are UPENN might be an option for you. However, UPENN is considered an Ivy league school like Duke, Cornell, etc. Therefore, my advice, when you apply next time, create a list of the programs that you know the likelihood of getting accepted is higher than those ivy league competitive schools. Make sure your list has reasonable expectations, it does not mean you apply to any random program, on the contrary, many good schools offer better educational system than the ivy league ones. 

Again, there is no harm applying to ivy league schools, that is perfectly fine, but do not make them the sole focus of your admission. Focus on good schools that offer good funding and have proper research facilities and affiliation with different organizations that gives you the space to go outside the box. 

Therefore, if you apply next time, aim for two ivy league schools and five top-notch good schools like Arizona State, Texas State, Boulder, Denver, etc.

The link above is a website called the National Communication Association (NCA), and they list all universities that offers the best PhD Communication programs in the United States. 

Thank you so much for this kind reply, it is extremely helpful !

Indeed, i have to admit that my application package is not well-designed this year. USC, Upenn and UW-M are three schools i am most familiar with, because many senior students went there from my school in previous years. I probably will gap a year if, well, get another rejection and be more well-prepared next time. 

thanks again! and congrats to those successful candidates! 

14 hours ago, LCZ said:

Hi! Thank you! I got word on their admission portal that I got full funding, a generous stipend, health insurance, either a research or teaching assistantship, and a potential for funded summer research. They didn’t say (or didn’t tell me) how many applied or got in. I hope this answers your question.

Hey! Did you all apply for the communications department or media studies?

I applied to the following schools (for Master's level)

- University of Kansas (I interviewed with them a few weeks ago)

- University of Nebraska - Lincoln 

- University of Iowa 

- University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee (Accepted in December but should hear back for funding soon)

- University of Wisconsin - Madison 

- San Diego State University 

- San Francisco State University 

Has anybody heard back from any of them either Master's or PhD? 

49 minutes ago, AnonymousOops said:

I've been following this thread for a while, but it's my first time to share something like this. I have applied quite a few communication programs and received five rejections and four offers by now. 

Rejection:

Acceptance:

Interviewed:

UMD

Though I didn't getting into any programs that are really competitive (and I probably will be rejected by USC), I'm quite satisfied with my result. It's fun to read all your posts and I wish everyone the best of luck!

Hi, thank you for sharing and congratulations on these great programs! I am wondering did you receive email from UCD or did you check with the POI to know the decision? Thanks!

58 minutes ago, AnonymousOops said:

Rejection:

Acceptance:

Interviewed:

UMD

Congratulations on your acceptances! When did you hear from UMD regarding an interview? I applied to their information studies PhD program but I haven't heard back from them at all yet. 

29 minutes ago, LCZ said:

Communications Department

I have not heard from them yet either, I emailed the department yesterday but no response. I am not sure if the next cycle of e-mails will be rejections since those who got selected are already accepted. 

Edited by Larik001

On 2/13/2021 at 1:31 PM, twosweet said:

Congrats! I was informed through email last night too, being accepted to NC State, bur waitlisted for funding.

Congrats too! Did your NCSU CDRM acceptance letter tell you your position in line on the waitlist for receiving funding?

2 hours ago, LCZ said:

Well. Heard from UPenn. It's a no. I know It was super competitive (hundreds of apps for 10 spots) and I have other options but I am a little sad. I really loved their program and could see myself in Philadelphia. This hit me harder than I thought. Regardless, congrats to those who were admitted!

I'm sorry about your UPenn rejection. The rejection letters are hard to deal with. I also received my UPenn rejection letter today. Did you apply to any other schools in Philly? Drexel and Temple are top schools as well.

1 hour ago, Larik001 said:

I have not heard from them yet either, I emailed the department yesterday but no response. I am not sure if the next cycle of e-mails will be rejections since those who got selected are already accepted. 

Gotcha - I heard from the chair of media studies last week that I got in (official offer on the way). I think they are taking 5 students in that department. My impression is that comm is similarly sized. Good luck to you!

1 hour ago, KatGrad757 said:

Congrats too! Did your NCSU CDRM acceptance letter tell you your position in line on the waitlist for receiving funding?

Well, I don't know how to interpret this, but it says "Since your position on the waitlist is related to your background and interests, you are essentially first in line for the next funded spot in your area of interest."

1 hour ago, KatGrad757 said:

I'm sorry about your UPenn rejection. The rejection letters are hard to deal with. I also received my UPenn rejection letter today. Did you apply to any other schools in Philly? Drexel and Temple are top schools as well.

Nope, UPenn was the only one I applied to in Philly. It's all good I have really great other options!

3 hours ago, Larik001 said:

Hello,

This is such solid advice. 

My area of interest is so small, I only applied to three schools, and even then, it hardly fit. I kind of had to make fetch happen. Forcing big squares into tiny circles isn’t great, lol. 

Anyways, NCSU CRDM ended up being my top choice because of the interdisciplinary approach. I have a POI who is really interested in my work (though you don’t technically need a POI for this program), however, the funding for her project currently aligned to my research runs out this summer. Funding is a huge detriment for me and this program for sure. Their packages don’t seem as lofty as some of the other programs I’ve looked into and I see the people who have been accepted thus far have been waitlisted for funding (I thought during the info session they claimed that everyone accepted would be fully funded— maybe the waitlist translates to “funding packages coming soon”?)

I’m interested to see those who have been extended offers with funding— and as someone else mentioned, are they waiting to send those notifications out, did they go out with the waitlisted funding offers, before, etc.?

I will state that my situation is a bit unique and requires more evaluation because I told them later on (post submittal) that I’d consider PT admittance because my job does do some tuition assistance. I’d prefer fully funded FT though and would only accept a PT offer with the option to be FT with funding in future years/semesters. 

3 hours ago, AnonymousOops said:

Rejection:

Acceptance:

Interviewed:

UMD

Congrats on your acceptances! I was wondering when/how you heard from UCLA? Did you receive email the school or did you check with your POI? Thanks!

Sad to share that I was rejected from UPENN ASC. It was my dream school and had my hopes too high I guess! Congrats to anyone on this thread who got accepted to ASC and good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back from other programs (I still have 6 left!) 

12 hours ago, veraciraptor said:

Got my rejections from Cornell and Rutgers.

Still waiting for:

NYU MCC

Columbia Journalism

CUNY

Do you know if any of them already sent out acceptances / interview invites?

From what I can see on the results page here, interview invites have already been sent out for NYU MCC. I didn't get one. ? Total bummer coz I had really productive conversations with my PoI there. (and paid extra money to get ECE evals done for my transcript lol -_-). 

29 minutes ago, ShivD said:

From what I can see on the results page here, interview invites have already been sent out for NYU MCC. I didn't get one. ? Total bummer coz I had really productive conversations with my PoI there. (and paid extra money to get ECE evals done for my transcript lol -_-). 

same, it was the only school that wanted them and they were soooooo expensive