2021 Application Thread for Communications Program

Hi Everyone,

I'm a bit late, applying to Comms MAs/a few Political Comms ones too, ideally I'd love to get into campaign communications or a press role. I'm graduating with my BA in Political Science this Summer.

Schools:

George Washington - Accepted (nothing on aid yet)

American - Accepted (nothing on aid yet)

Wake Forest 

University of Florida

University of Alabama

University of Central Florida

(my undergrad - last resort)

Edited by knight26

17 hours ago, ldye said:

We applied to similar programs! I study organizational communication and also applied to UT Austin (Accepted!), Cornell, and Mizzou! Have you spoke with any of the faculty at those programs? Have you gotten any information from Mizzou or Cornell? 

I spoke with a faculty member at Mizzou who was unsure about the number of funding offers they can make because they are extending the funding on some of their current students whose graduation was delayed because of COVID. I imagine many programs are having to manage that. 

Hope we end up in the same program, that would be cool! 

17 hours ago, doctoralwannabe said:

Congratulations on UT Austin! Was there an interview? I'm guessing you applied to their communications program? May I ask which track?

Hello and thank you! There was a short interview for UT. I did mine with Joshua Barbour who I hope to work with. I have also been talking with Brian Houston and Debbie Dougherty at Mizzou. I want to do organizational communication but I ma waiting on funding packages to make the big decision.

I have two friends, one in Mizzou's Ph.D. program and one at Cornell's and I asked them about their school's process. My Mizzou friend gave me nothing but my Cornell friend gave me insight since his advisor is on the review team. They all have read them and they should be meeting Tuesday (1/26) to evaluate them all together and see advisor fit. Then there is an interview process with potential advisors then a week or 2 after that offers should go out. But, again, COVID has mussed with all the timelines.

On 1/24/2021 at 8:07 PM, ldye said:

We applied to similar programs! I study organizational communication and also applied to UT Austin (Accepted!), Cornell, and Mizzou! Have you spoke with any of the faculty at those programs? Have you gotten any information from Mizzou or Cornell? 

I spoke with a faculty member at Mizzou who was unsure about the number of funding offers they can make because they are extending the funding on some of their current students whose graduation was delayed because of COVID. I imagine many programs are having to manage that. 

Hope we end up in the same program, that would be cool! 

Congrats to you both on acceptances from UT Austin!! Just heard from them last night and was not accepted unfortunately, but that's alright. Excited for you both!

On 1/12/2021 at 9:55 AM, Laurag96 said:

Hi! Joining the thread.

I applied to Penn State, U of Oregon, Louisiana State, and U of Michigan (two programs at UM). Hoping to research climate change and science communications! Wishing everyone the best of luck ?

Updating here - I was rejected from U of Michigan's SEAS program (not a huge surprise), and I have an interview with Penn State. Good luck y'all! The waiting is the worst part, lol. 

6 hours ago, Laurag96 said:

Updating here - I was rejected from U of Michigan's SEAS program (not a huge surprise), and I have an interview with Penn State. Good luck y'all! The waiting is the worst part, lol. 

Your area of study sounds dooooope. Bummer about UMich but you got acceptances coming. Waiting is definitely the worst part haha.

On 1/26/2021 at 6:32 AM, LCZ said:

Hello and thank you! There was a short interview for UT. I did mine with Joshua Barbour who I hope to work with. I have also been talking with Brian Houston and Debbie Dougherty at Mizzou. I want to do organizational communication but I ma waiting on funding packages to make the big decision.

I have two friends, one in Mizzou's Ph.D. program and one at Cornell's and I asked them about their school's process. My Mizzou friend gave me nothing but my Cornell friend gave me insight since his advisor is on the review team. They all have read them and they should be meeting Tuesday (1/26) to evaluate them all together and see advisor fit. Then there is an interview process with potential advisors then a week or 2 after that offers should go out. But, again, COVID has mussed with all the timelines.

That's great to know. Thank you! 

I also just got my interview offer from UT Austin. I applied for the Journalism & Media program. I'm getting super nervous. I wonder if it will be like a chat to see if I will be a good fit or like a strict interview setting? Obviously this is my first interview so quite scared not knowing what to expect... :(

I know it's a different program, but have you/anyone who is applying to Alabama heard back? It's been 9 weeks and I know the merit scholarships give priority to the applicants who are accepted earlier.

On 11/10/2020 at 7:27 PM, jujubean said:

Saw someone do this for 2020, and hoping to get one started for 2021!

Also hi there ? first post here, newbie to the grad cafe. I'm a Communications PhD hopeful, looking to study the intersection between sports, social media, and culture. Below are the schools I'm finishing up my apps to / looking to apply:

University of Alabama

UT Austin

USC

NYU

UNC

Penn State

Texas Tech

I read another post where I learned a bit about Brown's Modern Culture and Media PhD program, anyone have more info on that program? Anyone who is applying again and noticing big differences between applying this year and last year? Also, are there interviews generally for comms programs?

Good luck to all my fellow peeps!

I know it's a different program, but have you/anyone who is applying to Alabama heard back? It's been 9 weeks and I know the merit scholarships give priority to the applicants who are accepted earlier.

Edited by knight26

Just now, knight26 said:

On 1/25/2021 at 4:32 PM, LCZ said:

Oh that's so interesting. I reached out to IS and was told that they don't interview all of the candidates they end up accepting. I think the interview requests did already go out, and I was told results will go out in the 2 weeks after Feb 5.  

I think my uncertainty and anxiety is getting the better than me. I am very stressed and nervous about waiting (also very impatient). Anyone else in that boat?

Hi Guys! I'm new applicant to the Comm field (switching over from STS), and I've been lurking this thread for a bit and thought I'd join in on the suffering. I hope everyone is surviving, and keeping in mind that as much as it can seem like grad admissions are a matter of life and death, this is just a small part of the amazing lives you will all lead. 

5 minutes ago, LCZ said:

I think my uncertainty and anxiety is getting the better than me. I am very stressed and nervous about waiting (also very impatient). Anyone else in that boat?

Yes! I'm trying to stay positive because I know its more than likely no results will come for another 2-3 weeks :wacko:

3 hours ago, LCZ said:

Totally feel this! 3 weeks feels like a long time.

I received an invite for an interview at Temple; I'm very excited/terrified, etc. Just hearing back from one place kind of calmed me a bit, though. Wishing you all positive vibes and good luck! We do have a lovely group here ?

Edited by svk21

On 1/16/2021 at 9:51 AM, Kim2016 said:

Just heard from Northwestern Screen Cultures program that they will invite finalist for interview on campus or virtually by end of Feb. 

Hey! Does this mean they will send out the invites by end of Feb? Sorry slightly tensed!

8 hours ago, sdas123 said:

Hey! Any news from Comm Arts (Media and Cultural Studies) at UW Madison / Screen Cultures at Northwestern? 

I am also waiting for UWM, but another track (Comm Sciences). I see two guys posted on the result page that they had got interview invites and the program would admit 1-3 students this year. I don't think I should hold a hope for this program. Sign...

On 1/26/2021 at 9:29 AM, Laurag96 said:

Back again! I have an interview with Oregon on Tuesday (as well as Penn State). Talk about a stressful day, but I'm super excited and hopeful! 

Seems to be a ton of action today! If you applied to UNC Hussman, check your portal.

I received a rejection today. It was a bit shocking as this is the school that I had the most contact with faculty and students alike. For context, I did apply for the Park Fellowship and wouldn’t have accepted an offer without that award. I’m not sure if funding decisions and admissions decisions go hand in hand, but for the sake of archiving information for future applicants, I wanted to include that information.

This deadline was on December 15 and I heard back on today, January 29. I received an email to check the portal.

I had been in contact with a POI since early October (around the 12th I think). We had a lengthy zoom call where our interests aligned. After the call, she followed up with other faculty she thought I might be interested in speaking with (along with twitter accounts to follow). She also sent along information regarding upcoming research projects she thought I’d be a good fit for and some current projects she had been working on. 

From our call, I reached out to two additional faculty members. One answered  questions via email. The other wanted to chat via zoom. She candidly shared her experiences as a WOC at the institution and opened up about DEI efforts that the school was making (these were important factors for me when applying to programs)

Finally, I had been in touch with a current student and we had a lot of candid convos as well (we followed each other on IG). She agreed to read over my SOP but ultimately failed to leave feedback in time for my submission. She sent me an email letting me know she had a meeting with the department the following day and would mention my name and my strong interest in the program. 

Anyways, that all led to a flat out rejection, pre-interview, lol.

My fingers are crossed that interviews/straight acceptances are given to those of you here who also applied to UNC. It’d be cool for my digital buddies to win!

P.S. This rejection didn’t sting, as I expressed that my research interests have slightly shifted since I initially applied. I was worried that if I got accepted under the POI I built a relationship with, I’d be locked into that substantive focus area and wouldn’t be able to explore my other interest.

Edited by MomoTodoroki
Formatting